Beach Sanitary Sewers

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
David asked about the Beach sewer project from many years ago and asked in another thread when it was done, so instead of going off topic in the other thread (which I do all the time) I decided to start one.

My original answer was around ten years ago as I had thought that I had just finished paying for my part not that long ago. Then with some extra consideration I changed my guess to about 15 years ago. So to get a closer date I asked a resident who was actually hooking up the new system to houses along the Beach and told me 1993, he knew that, he said because the date is stamped on the new sidewalk in front of his house.
There is much more to the project than a date stamped in the sidewalk, the sewer project discussion started after the City decided not to keep buying houses on the strip and we were here to stay. One of the many problems down was the constant overflowing of septic tanks and the high water level at times didn't help, so the sewer project went ahead.
First there were some consulting with the residents on how installation would go ahead, I remember attending a meeting at CCIW and was amazed at the attendance, also there seemed to be to camps. Those who wanted them and those who didn't, the following is a letter to the community sent out after the meeting by a resident from Clare Ave.

July 28, 1987
To the Beach Residents:
This letter refers to the Hamilton Beach Residence meeting held on July 27, 1987 at the Inland Waters Auditorium.
It never fails to amaze me how caloused and insensitive some people are. Some seem to express themselves with dignity, while others obviously seem to delight themselves with 4 letter word expressions. These obviously deal with inferiority and the uneducated fulgarity expressed by rage of selfishness and taunting humiliation brought to bear upon those in attendance.
Some seem to use these meetings to fend their anger and frustration and were lost in themselves as they did not seem to realize the purpose of the meeting, "To present a plan" nor did they seem to have listened to the well explained plan.
I wish to congratulate the gentleman who with such patience chaired the meeting with dignity and knowledge. Thank you, sir.
We need the sewer system on the Beach Boulevard in order to survive. Ten years ago everyone said, "Give us sewers and we will be happy". Some of those now bark up another tree. Sewers on the beach would mean lower insurance and even some now are unable to obtain insurance. Mortgages would be available were now it is hardly possible to obtain a mortgage unless you pay a premium interest.
Another selfish newcomer on the Beach suggested that His Septic System would be sufficient. Sir, wait until it brakes down. For a
building permit is not available, you now have to install a holding tank at a cost of $7000.00. This pays for your hook up to the proposed sewage system. I still have to see it to believe it. We have had many promises before.
The lady complaining about the red dot signifying her home. Her argumentive reasoning missed the point of proposals being made
and suggestions accepted. Acquisition of property would only take place if she would want to sell. And if the city should try to come
with expropriation, then she should call the Beach Committee immediately. They would inform all of us on the Beach and 'we all
should sign petitions against any expropriations and stand united against such. Many a politician has lost an election because the
Beach residents withheld their support. Without sewers, expropriation is eminent.
Water pollution is a problem but are we not all to blame. The sand bank on which we live is totally saturated with human waste deposits. Let's see the sliver in our own eyes as well. Let us begin with ourselves. Improve your property and your estate, don't always just blame others.
It was suggested to propose an additional 250 families to be allowed to reside on the Beach. We need them to make our community more viable. Perhaps with 250 more families we can open up Bell Cairn School
again. And the bus route would then surely not be cancelled. Surely, it would bring more support and assistance to realize these
worthwhile goals for a future generation and ourselves. They would also share in the costs of sewers. And if the traffic
increases let's put up 2 or 3 more stop lights and this would be a deturrent for thru traffic to drive around us using the service
road.
Yes, we need to clean up our Beach area, the waterfront and the gardens and some homes could use a paint brush. Sewers would increase our property value substantially and yes, I realize our taxes would go up as well. But we are reasonably taxed now, while the amortization of these sewers would be stretched out over 20 years or more.
Remember also, you do not have to hook up to the sewers. Nobody forces you to sell or to hook up, so what is your beef. The cost
of a septic-tank pump is also rising and so is your beer but do you stop drinking? No. Just look at the blatant, out in the open outdoors consumption, disgusting to say the least. Remember your example is watched by your children. "Someone spilled his beer by improper use of the Firestone Tire Co." What did that have to do with this planning session.
We like the Beach and yes, you too neighbour. Just realize I am your neighbour and therefore my neighbours keeper. Although some selfish, egotistic, irrate neighbours may never fit into a community setting. Don't blame the rest who try to care. Yes, we turn down our loud music so that it does not bother our neigbours , for that is not fun.
So let's grow up and be strong and united for the betterment of all.
I am for sewers.

James Brink
2 Clare Avenue
P.S. This letter was sent to the Hamilton Spectator also.
But thus far they have not printed this. TYPICAL SPECTATOR!

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
Scott,

I think Fred told me that Hamilton's annexation of the beach from Saltfleet Township, included a very small section north of the canal. And when Hamilton provided the sewer service to the beach, it was obviously impossible to extend it underneath the canal. So the Hamiltonians on this northen section of the beach, well, were left high and dry.

So to resolve this, Burlington finally agreed to annex this part of the beach, and provide the sewer service itself.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,

I think Fred told me that Hamilton’s annexation of the beach from Saltfleet Township, included a very small section north of the canal. And when Hamilton provided the sewer service to the beach, it was obviously impossible to extend it underneath the canal. So the Hamiltonians on this northen section of the beach, well, were left high and dry.

So to resolve this, Burlington finally agreed to annex this part of the beach, and provide the sewer service itself.
The sewers didn't even make it all the way to the canal, the bridge area doesn't have a connection to the sewers, it finishes about quarter mile south of the canal.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Department of Engineering
71 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ont. L8N 3T 4

THE REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY OF HAMILTON-WENTWORTH

August 19, 1991
TO BEACH RESIDENTS
Alderman F. Lombardo
City Hall, Hamilton

Beach Boulevard Sewers

Dear Alderman Lombardo:

Further to your enquiry concerning the installation of sanitary sewers in the Beach
Boulevard area, please be advised that the Regional Capital Budget provides for an
expenditure of $9,039,000 for the construction.

Design work has commenced and we expect construction to commence in 1992 and be
complete in 1994

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
THE REGIONAL MUNICIFALI1Y OF HAMILTON-WENIWORTH
Transportation / Environmental Services Group

Roads Department
71 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ont. LSN 3T4

Tel. (416)546-4170
Fax (416)526-6665

PUBLIC INFORMATION CENTRE
FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF SANITARY SEWERS
ON BEACH BLVD. & INCLUDING SIDE STREETS
FOR PHASE I (FROM VAN WAGNER BEACH RD. WESTERLY TO LAGOON AVE.)
Dear Resident/Property Owner:
--
The Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth is in the process of finalizing the design
of proposed sanitary sewer system on Beach Blvd. from the East End (Van Wagner Beach
Rd.), westerly to Lagoon Ave., including side streets and crossing of the Q.E.W at Wark
Ave. (Phase I). The project has been advertised under Section 12 of the Local
Improvement Act, with a tentative tendering date of this fall, which would be followed by
a winter construction. Due to the magnitude of the project, the extension or Phase IT from
Lagoon Ave. westerly to the Service Rd. would be advertised next year with a tentative
construction of late 1993 and completion in 1994.
In addition to the above, the existing watermain on certain streets would be replaced at no
extra cost to the homeowners.
Due to the impact this reconstruction can have on the area residents and businesses, the
Region will be holding a Public Information Centre for Phase I located at:
Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit Association Hall
316 Beach Boulevard
DATE: Thursday, October 15, 1992
TIME: 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. & 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
We are looking forward to seeing you at the Public Information Centre.
If you require any additional information regarding the project or the upcoming Public
Information Centre, please call Stephen Szigeti, P.Eng. Project Manager

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
TAKE NOTICE
That the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth intends to construct the following local improvement
works pursuant to Section 12 of The Local Improvement Act and intends to specially assess part of the cost
upon the lands abutting directly on such works.

DESCRIPTION
SANITARY SEWERS
Beach Boulevard -from approximately 740
metres south of Wark Avenue to Lagoon
Avenue, and on
Fletcher Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 64 metres easterly, and on
Mareve Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 83 metres easterly, and on
Dynes Park Avenue - from Beach
Boulevard to approximately 83 metres easterly,
and on •
Fitch Avenue - from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 77 metres easterly, and on
Lakeside Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 76 metres easterly, and on
Sierra Lane - from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 80 metres easterly, and on
Fletcher Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 64 metres westerly, and on
Kirk Road - from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 74 metres westerly, and on
Wark Avenue - from Beach Boulevard to the
west end of the street, and on
Bayside Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approvimately 86 metres westerly, and on
Towers Drive - from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 73 metres westerly, and on
Arden Avenue - from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 137 metres westerly, and on
Lagoon Avenue -from Beach Boulevard to
approximately 127 metres westerly,
in the City of Hamilton.

Estimated Cost $1,718,700
Estimated Amount to be Paid by Region $1,172,935

Estimated Cost per Metre Frontage $210

No. of Annual Installments 15

That persons desiring to petition against the undertaking of the above-mentioned works must do so on or
before Monday, June 29,1992. Petition forms must be obtained from:
Konrad Brenner, Manager
Programming and Preliminary Design
71 Main Street West
6th Floor, City Hall
Hamilton, Ontario
That in addition to the above-desired works, the Regional Municipality,of Hamilton-Wentworth intends to
construct as local improvements pursuant to Section 3 of the Local Improvement Act the following Private
Drain Connections.

DESCRIPTION
SANITARY PRIVATE DRAINS
Same locations as above.
DATED at Hamilton this 27th day of May 1992

Number of
Connections
Robert C. Prowse
Regional Clerk

Estimated
Cost per
Connection
$2,000

Total
Estimated
Cost of Work
$388,000

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
"The sewers didn't even make it all the way to the canal, the bridge area doesn't have a connection to the sewers, it finishes about quarter mile south of the canal."

Scott,

Why didn't the sewer main go all the way to the canal? Were there houses and businesses there that didn't get the service? And how close to the canal did the sewers go to on the north side?

And once the sewer main was installed, did any of the beach residences put down weeping tiles around their house foundations?

Do you have any information on Burlington's sewer work on the north side of the canal?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
“The sewers didn't even make it all the way to the canal, the bridge area doesn't have a connection to the sewers, it finishes about quarter mile south of the canal.”

Scott,

Why didn’t the sewer main go all the way to the canal? Were there houses and businesses there that didn’t get the service? And how close to the canal did the sewers go to on the north side?

And once the sewer main was installed, did any of the beach residences put down weeping tiles around their house foundations?

Do you have any information on Burlington’s sewer work on the north side of the canal?

There isn't much at the end of the Beach near the canal which is why it wasn't worth the trouble and money for the City of Hamilton to take the line down further than they did. There is the Lift Bridge which has a septic system, the Lighthouse Keeper's house which has been vacant for decades and Fisherman's Pier boat launch who use portable toilets.
The new sewer system installed on the Hamilton side of the Beach is only a sanitary sewer, so residents are not permitted to hook up down spouts, weeping tile or sump pumps to the system.

I don't know much about the sewer system on the Burlington side, except to say that the city's sewage treatment plant is located on the Beach but I don't ever recall seeing lines being installed. There really isn't that many house on the Burlington side to service.
A few years ago large lines were installed from the treatment plant to the Canada Centre for Inland Waters facility located next to the canal, I don't know if these were for testing or a service as the building has been there for a long time and in my opinion is far too large for a septic system.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,

When were water mains installed on the beach?
The water mains were replaced when the sewer lines were installed, if you are digging up the streets, you might as well do both.
According to Gary Evan's latest book , the Beach had it's own water works at one time but connected to Hamilton's supply line in 1925.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
02-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Scott,

"The water mains were replaced when the sewer lines were installed, if you are digging up the streets, you might as well do both.
According to Gary Evan's latest book , the Beach had it's own water works at one time but connected to Hamilton's supply line in 1925."

Scott,

So before 1925, the beach's water lines weren't part of the Hamilton pumphouse system which began operating in 1860!? Why not? The pump house was right next door to the beach. So did the beach have its own pump house?
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-542.html

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto
02-14-2015, 06:12 PM
"The sewers didn't even make it all the way to the canal, the bridge area doesn't have a connection to the sewers, it finishes about quarter mile south of the canal."

Scott,

Why didn't the sewer main go all the way to the canal? Were there houses and businesses there that didn't get the service? And how close to the canal did the sewers go to on the north side?

Do you have any information on Burlington's sewer work on the north side of the canal?

There isn't much at the end of the Beach near the canal which is why it wasn't worth the trouble and money for the City of Hamilton to take the line down further than they did. There is the Lift Bridge which has a septic system, the Lighthouse Keeper's house which has been vacant for decades and Fisherman's Pier boat launch who use portable toilets.
The new sewer system installed on the Hamilton side of the Beach is only a sanitary sewer, so residents are not permitted to hook up down spouts, weeping tile or sump pumps to the system.

I don't know much about the sewer system on the Burlington side, except to say that the city's sewage treatment plant is located on the Beach but I don't ever recall seeing lines being installed. There really isn't that many house on the Burlington side to service.
A few years ago large lines were installed from the treatment plant to the Canada Centre for Inland Waters facility located next to the canal, I don't know if these were for testing or a service as the building has been there for a long time and in my opinion is far too large for a septic system.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Burlington/WWTP_zps3b7e9aa4.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Burlington/WWTP_zps3b7e9aa4.jpg.html)

Scott,

In the 'Hotels on the Beach' thread, we have a discussion about the 'canal reserve', a strip of land extending about ¼ miles back from each side of the canal, which apparently couldn't bee built on. so is this why so many years later there weren't any privately owned buildings there?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Scott,

In the ‘Hotels on the Beach’ thread, we have a discussion about the ‘canal reserve’, a strip of land extending about ¼ miles back from each side of the canal, which apparently couldn’t bee built on. so is this why so many years later there weren’t any privately owned buildings there?
For many years the Hamilton side had an amusement park and a bowling alley (dance hall) on the harbor side, the lake side had a couple restaurants, hotdog stands, a bath house and even a small zoo at one point. It was more of an entertainment area and there was only one cottage which was owned by the amusement park. Most likely not a good spot for private housing.
In a picture showing the Lakeside tavern, there is a house that looks as though it would be privately owned, it is located between the Lakeside and the Lighthouse Keeper's house.

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
David O'Reilly
02-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Scott,

Scott,

The water mains were replaced when the sewer lines were installed, if you are digging up the streets, you might as well do both.
According to Gary Evan's latest book , the Beach had it's own water works at one time but connected to Hamilton's supply line in 1925.
02-15-2015, 05:10 PM
scotto
Scott,

"The water mains were replaced when the sewer lines were installed, if you are digging up the streets, you might as well do both.
According to Gary Evan's latest book , the Beach had it's own water works at one time but connected to Hamilton's supply line in 1925."

Scott,

So before 1925, the beach's water lines weren't part of the Hamilton pumphouse system which began operating in 1860!? Why not? The pump house was right next door to the beach. So did the beach have its own pump house?
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-542.html

Scott, when was the Beach Water works built? Did it have itsown pump house? Maybe we need a separate thread on that?

David O'Reilly

Dec 15, 2012
scotto

Scott,

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/scotto2010/Burlington/WWTP_zps3b7e9aa4.jpg (http://s833.photobucket.com/user/scotto2010/media/Burlington/WWTP_zps3b7e9aa4.jpg.html)
Scott, if residents can't connect weeping tiles to the sanitary line, are the storm drains on the streets and roads connected to it, or do they still empty in to the bay? as seems to have been the case in 1956.

"The aim of this project is to pipe along the east side of the highway and connect with a main drain into the bay. This will be done sometime this year."
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1977.html

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
scotto

Scott, if residents can't connect weeping tiles to the sanitary line, are the storm drains on the streets and roads connected to it, or do they still empty in to the bay? as seems to have been the case in 1956.

"The aim of this project is to pipe along the east side of the highway and connect with a main drain into the bay. This will be done sometime this year."
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-1977.html
Much of the water is drained to the harbour, after a heavy downpour the main boulevard always drained pretty quickly except for the area near the Dyne's Tavern, and a new main pipe was installed when the condo development was done, but that just spread the problem out more. In time the rain water drains though. On the sidestreets near the QEW or the harbour side, a heavy downpour always flooded the end of the streets until the City installed a pumping station at the bottom of Grafton Ave. a couple years ago, now those streets drain very well.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?1963-Councillor-Report-March-2012

Top Bottom