Biking along the pier

MPender

Mar 7, 2004
580 Beach Blvd
I just wanted to pass it along that while riding my bike along the path I decided to ride along the pier and found a disgusting mess of garbag, sand and crap. It is really dirty along there. I was really surprised.
Why can't it be cleaned up!!! And who would be the contact person to get it cleaned up. I think they should be called.
I see the path is kept quite clean,but no effort has been made to clean up the pier.
Thats too bad, because it is nice to ride along or walk along there.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Ah, good old Transport Canada, I tried for years to get them to spend some money on those piers, but no luck, they are falling apart and yes, they are a mess. I think the lighthouse at the end is tilting to the north a bit and the concrete pad is heaving in many places. The City wanted to place some Interruptive panels with seating on and near the piers, Transport said no thanks. They really don't want people down there, if they do encourage the average Joe to walk around and enjoy the surroundings, then they will have to install life rings and have some rescue process ready. Too much money.
Requested contacts.
Email: webfeedback@tc.gc.ca
Phone: (613) 990-2309
TTY: 1-888-675-6863
Fax: (613) 954-4731 / 998-8620
Mailing Address:
Transport Canada
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N5

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Things Do Change

Contractors were on the peirs today removing overgrown weeds and trees that were growing right out of the concrete.
I guess someone knew how to complain a little better than us.
About time something was done.

Photo #1 was taken last year at this time and you can see the tree.
Photos #2&3 show all weeds removed and the tree on it's way out.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
edgefan said:
Hey scott

Is the garbage being picked up? been looking pretty bad lately with the increase of people out there fishing. Maybe Tim Horton's should send some employees down to clean up.:rolleyes:
They did get rid of a lot, but not the garbage. The regular fishing guys pick after themselves, the smelters are a different story.
The City staff that clean the Path were taking the garbage in the summer, but I think they are done for the year.

Top Bottom