Burlington Ship Canal

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I just added this new album in the Photo Gallery, please have a look.
Many of the pictures are from the Archives section at the Hamilton Public Library, others from PWGSC (The Bridge) and some that were sent in by Beach Residents. If you have any old pictures of the Canal, Lift Bridge, the old bridges or any old Beach pics, please post them or send them in I will post them for you.
Thanks Scotto :D

Sorry, Photo Gallery out of service for now.

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
I especially liked the "All that Floats" section. On the first page, the second image of a laker taken in 1962, is Canada Steamship Lines' self-unloader R.O. Petman. (491x56x26) Launched in 1908 as E.B. Osler, renamed Osler in 1926 and finally as in the picture R.O. Petman in 1954. She was towed to Spain and scrapped there in 1968.

Thanks
Ted

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have to add a few more to that section, thanks for the history lesson as I can't even read the name on the bow of that vessel.
I have been around the canal for many years and never seen that one pass.
Again, welcome to the Beach Forum.

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
Here's another little tidbit on another picture from that folder: (its attached)

This vessel is Canada Steamship Lines' canal sized laker Mapleheath (250x42.5x19). Launched as the Toiler in 1911, renamed and rebuilt in 1920 as Mapleheath. She was reduced to a lightering barge in 1959, and was still around in some capacity as of 1975.

Thanks
Ted

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That's a shorty, there are tugs bigger than that now.
There also use to be about four short Canada Steamship Lines vessels that use to come into the harbour in the early seventies, they were just for cargo.
One name that comes to mind is the Fort Henry.

InsulatorHunter

May 8, 2007
Burlington
Ahh.. You must be thinking of the "Fort" class package freighters that Canada Steamship Lines operated during the seventies. The Fort Henry in my opinion was a great looking vessel, however her small size and fuel consumption (she was extrememly fast) did her in. She was scrapped in 1984. The others were Fort Chambly, Fort St. Louis, Fort William, Fort York English River and French River.

CSL found the package freight trade no longer profitable in the late 70's and early 80's resulting in the sale or conversion of their package freighters.

All except the English River and Fort William have since been sold off lakes and scrapped. The English River was converted to a cement carrier under the same name, as was the Fort William, now the Stephen B. Roman.

Here's a great shot of the Henry at one of my favourite greatlakes sites:

http://www.wellandcanal.ca/shiparc/csl/forthenry/henry.htm

Thanks
Ted

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That's the ones, I remember one of them being taken out of service and ending up here in Hamilton, I assume for scrap. It was perthed at the very south end of the harbour for a couple of years, then it was gone.
The picture in the link makes the ship look bigger than I remember it being.
Thanks again Ted for the history.

rbaker.1

Dec 4, 2006
I too remeber some of those vessels.
I worked for the Marconi Co. and did radio and radar servicing on many.
I remember one day in earliy march when I had to run the plumbing (radar transmitting lines) and it was a beautiful 74 degress outsice and where I was it was about 32 degrees between the decks where I was working. Just about froze my equipment off (know what I mean.

Another time I had a service call to the docks at the foot of wentworth street to service the VHF radio on a vessel called the Kings Garth. She had been sitting at dock for several hours waiting me..
As I arrived healf the crew lept off the vessal and grabbed me and my tools and carried us aboard.
The Captains was all in a fluster .Sitting idle in port costs big bucks.
I immediately began looking for the problem and found a relay was not turning the power on. It was very warm and I asked for a drink (I meant water) They brought me a tray with JIn. I did not have that part ,but said I could mechnically close the relay and it would work. He the captain said do and then said CAST OFF. I complained that I needed to get my tools off and then to my vehicle. as The vessel began off the dock the captain said they would drop me off at the canal. He handed me $20.00 for a cab.
As we went throught the canal his people put my tools on the road and I jumped off.

Just tell me that servicing is an easy job.

Rae Baker

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Rae;
It is still a big "fluster" when ships sit around for nothing, about $2000 an hour fluster.:D

The Kings Garth, there is another ship I have never heard of.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Top Bottom