Chad Collins Report March 2010

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY SIDEWALKS
Further to my previous correspondence, please be advised that Phase 1 of the Centennial Parkway sidewalk reconstruction process will start in 2010. New concrete walks will be installed along both sides of Centennial Parkway, from Barton Street East to Arrowsmith Road. The new construction will improve the safe travel of pedestrians and provide greater connectivity to businesses in the area. Phase 2 of the project will involve the installation of sidewalks between Queenston Road and Barton Street East.

545 BEACH BLVD - OMB APPEAL
Despite the opposition of city staff, local residents and my office, the application to sever a portion of 545 Beach Boulevard to create an additional residential building lot was recently approved by the City's Committee of Adjustment. I have contacted the City's Planning Department, and have requested that our staff prepare an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). The matter will be deliberated at the City's Planning Committee in May. I will be sure to send further updates as this matter progresses.

RED HILL VALLEY TRAIL HEAD SIGNAGE
The northern portion of the Red Hill Valley trail system will be completed in 2010, and will be connected to the waterfront trail via a new pedestrian bridge. New trail head signage will be installed as part of this project. Additional trail signs south of Barton will be installed at a later date as part of Phase 2.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace a lost or damaged box, please contact my office and I will deliver one (or more) to your home.

PAID PARKING AT CONFEDERATION PARK
The Conservation Authority's draft plan for Confederation Park identifies the implementation of a paid parking program in all areas of the park including the area along Van Wagners Beach Road in the area of Hutch's and Lakeland Pool. I have long advocated for the removal of paid parking at Confederation Park to make the park more accessible. The introduction of paid parking in the area of the park will push park and trail users into the beach community, creating additional parking pressures for the neighbourhood.
In response to the recommendation, I've initiated an online petition that urges the Conservation Authority to abandon its plans to implement a paid parking program. Please help by visiting www.chadcollins.ca to sign the petition and show your support.

E-NEWSLETTER UPDATES
E-Newsletter updates are distributed on a regular basis to hundreds of homes across the ward. To receive newsletters via email, please contact my office at ccollins(5),hamilton.ca or electronically request newsletters via my office website at www.chadcoUins.ca

DEVELOPMENT OF FORMER GAS BAR
I have received information from representatives of the owners of the former gas bar located at 1081 1105 Beach Boulevard regarding the status of their development of 12 townhomes. Remediation has taken place on a portion of the lands that will permit the construction of a row of 6 townhomes. Remedial efforts will continue on the adjacent lands, and the construction of additional units will most likely occur in 2011

AROUND THE WARD...
There are a number of other projects underway in Ward 5. This months updates include: Sir Wilfrid Laurier Recrecation Centre upgrades, a new senior and community recreation centre, and a number of other local initiatives. Visit the Ward 5 website at www.chadcollins.ca for more information.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. The purpose of the report is to keep you informed of projects and events in your neighbourhood. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546-2716), my home (545-3737) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca).

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

545 BEACH BLVD - OMB APPEAL
Despite the opposition of city staff, local residents and my office, the application to sever a portion of 545 Beach Boulevard to create an additional residential building lot was recently approved by the City's Committee of Adjustment. I have contacted the City's Planning Department, and have requested that our staff prepare an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). The matter will be deliberated at the City's Planning Committee in May. I will be sure to send further updates as this matter progresses.
For those trying to recall which house this, I have attached picture as a reminder. How could the Committee of Adjustment possibly allow a house to be shoe horned into that small lot?

Top Bottom