Collins announces he will seek re-election in Ward 5

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kevin Werner, Stoney Creek News

(Aug 25, 2006)
Political experience trumps youth as Hamilton councillor Chad Collins seeks another term around the council table.

The 35-year-old political veteran was first elected in Ward 5 in 1995 in a byelection at the tender age of 24, becoming the youngest councillor. As he prepares for his fourth election, after 11 years of political roughhousing within the city's rough and tumble environment, he still remains the youngest councillor among his colleagues.

"I love the job. I believe I have a strong work ethic. And I don't take anything for granted," said Mr. Collins, the married father of two children.

Over the last two elections, Mr. Collins has barely broken a sweat, easily dumping Lakhwinder Multani 9,473 votes to 1,409, in 2000, and steamrolling Andrew Schroeder 8,077 to 2,663 votes in 2003.

So far Mr. Collins is the only registered candidate for Ward 5.

Three years ago Mr. Collins entered the 2003 election riding high on his accomplishments such as closing down the Solid Waste Reduction Unit, one of Canada's most toxic facilities, exposing the city's purchasing fiasco that saw taxpayers pay $500,000 more for four street sweepers, and holding city officials' feet to the fire when it comes to cutting costs.

Three years later, Mr. Collins continues to remain a thorn in the side of city bureaucrats during budget negotiations, and he is overseeing the remediation of the SWARU property as it is turned into a recycling depot.

He accepts some increases in city costs associated with cost of living increases, but his philosophy during budgets is whenever the city adopts a new program, or invests in an idea, what value will it have for the city?

As chair of the Hamilton Waterfront Trust, he participated in the construction of the $2.8 million Waterfront Beach Recreation Trail, the introduction a new trolley service, a success of the Hamilton Harbour Queen and the new and improved Lakeland Recreation Center facility and pool along on the lake shore that has become a must-see attraction for residents.

But as he ponders his goals over the next four years, Mr. Collins says more needs to be done. First and foremost is improving Hamilton's waterfront.

"The future of Hamilton is along the waterfront," said Mr. Collins. "We can't be caught napping. This means a lot for the city. In 20, 30 years we can look back and see the value we brought to the community."

In his own Ward 5 area, he is patiently waiting for capital projects in his area to begin once the the Red Hill Creek Expressway, which he supported, is completed in the fall of 2007.

There are the usual road repairs that need to be done, such as for Nash, Lake Avenue, and Mount Albion. But Centennial Parkway is become a cause for him, which he calls "in terrible condition." He has also being anxiously waiting for sidewalks to be installed, especially near the southern area of Centennial Parkway where pedestrians have a tricky time navigating the roadway underneath the bridge.

Top Bottom