Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Stoney Creek News

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

News
Jan 28, 2010
Councillor Chad Collins says he’s eyeing another four years as a Hamilton councillor, but there are people urging him to challenge for the mayor’s chair.
“I’m leaning towards running for council,” says the veteran Ward 5 councillor. “I’ve loved my time. I love the participation. I believe I still have a strong work ethic. I still like representing the needs of my ward.”

Collins, 38, confirmed he has been approached by friends about running for mayor. He’s mulling over the possibility, but he needs time to talk to his family about it.

Not only has Collins’ name been circulating as a possible mayor candidate, his name has also popped up as a Hamilton candidate whenever there is a federal or provincial election. Collins said he would have to “consult” with his constituents before he would make such a political move.

Over the last few years, Collins has been instrumental in developing the city’s waterfront along Pier 4 and the beachfront. This past summer, during the floods that affected residents in his community for the first time, Collins was limping around to homes with a cast on his foot after a baseball injury, providing information and help to owners.

Along with Ward 4 councillor Sam Merulla, he was the driving force behind the city’s financial help for residents who were victims of last summer’s floods. He also joined with Merulla to push for the signature bridge, which is set to open in October over the Queen Elizabeth Way.

“I believe I have represented the needs of my ward, while also supporting projects that will benefit people across the city,” he said. “There have been improvements made to west Hamilton, east Hamilton and the downtown. I’ve always been a big supporter of renewing the city’s downtown.”

Collins was elected to the former city of Hamilton council in 1995 in a by-election after the resignation of Dominic Agostino who was sent to Queen’s Park as a MPP. Collins won re-election in 1997, 2000, 2003 and 2006. In the last two municipal elections, he was barely challenged.

In 2003, he scored 8,077 votes to Andrew Shroeder’s 2,663 and in 2006, he coasted to victory grabbing 8,245 votes to George Gamble’s 890 votes.

Even though he’s leaning toward defending his council seat this fall, a decision on his political future will have to be made soon, he said.

“Timing is everything in politics,” said Collins, a father of two children. “Doors are open.”

Top Bottom