Collins wins handily

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Collins wins handily, wants to focus on waterfront, downtown
Kevin Werner, Stoney Creek News

Chad Collins was re-elected with 90 per cent of the vote.

(Nov 17, 2006)
Ward 5 councillor Chad Collins only needed one poll to determine he was on his way to another landslide victory in this week's municipal election.

"My first priority is to thank all of those people who helped me, first and foremost my constituents, my family and my friends," said Mr. Collins.

Mr. Collins was joined at city hall Nov. 13 to watch the returns with his wife and friends. Within 20 minutes, Mr. Collins was comfortable enough with his wide margin that he left to meet friends and family to celebrate his victory.

The 35-year-old political veteran easily triumphed over his challenger, Beach strip resident George Gamble, registering the second highest vote total behind Ward 6 councillor Tom Jackson among ward councillors with 8,245 votes. Mr. Gamble received 890 votes.

Mr. Collins was first elected in Ward 5 in 1995 at the tender age of 24, becoming the youngest councillor among Hamilton politicians of the old city.

This time it will be the veteran who will greet four new councillors and two returning politicians to Hamilton's round table.

"I'm interested to meet some new council colleagues and anxious to see some old faces," he said.

The new political faces around the table will be Robert Pasuta of Flamborough, Hamilton mountain's Scott Duvall, Stoney Creek's Brad Clark, the former provincial cabinet minister, and Ancaster's Lloyd Ferguson, brother of Murray Ferguson, who is Ancaster's current councillor until the end of the month.

Dundas's Russ Powers will be returning as councillor, while former Ward 5 alderman Fred Eisenberger, who pulled the upset of the night by edging incumbent mayor Larry Di Ianni, will become the city's third mayor since amalgamation.

Mr. Collins had a relatively easy re-election bid against a candidate who did not campaign hard, displayed few signs and did not show up to debate him during the Cable 14 televised debate.

Mr. Collins says he is raring to go on the issues constituents raised at the door.

"I'm anxious to continue on those issues that I've brought to the (council) floor - the waterfront, the downtown."

During the election, Mr. Collins said Hamilton should start improving its waterfront both from an environmental side and business perspective. He made it a priority to clean up businesses along Eastport Drive and has urged the Hamilton Port Authority should do more to promote relocating proper businesses along that stretch of Hamilton Harbour.

His vision is to see Hamilton connect the waterfront access to the city's downtown, converting the whole area into a "people place."

The father of two also singled out public safety as an issue residents across the city told politicians was extremely important.

"Policing has been a real hot button this election, more than any other I've been through in the past," he said.

Mr. Collins also wants to focus on road repairs in his area, especially Centennial Parkway. He will also redouble efforts to get the city to install sidewalks along the southern side of that street, where pedestrians have a difficult time navigating the roadway underneath the bridge.

Mr. Collins' 2006 results follow his easy re-election bids in 2000 and 2003, where he steamrolled to victory in both elections over relatively no-name candidates.

Top Bottom