Councillor Chad Collins: Neighbourhood Report May 2018

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

11th ANNUAL COMMUNITY CLEAN UP
Over 40 residents attended our 11th annual Beach Community clean up on April 28th. A special 'thank you' to the members of the Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit who assisted with the use of their facility and barbq, to Tim Horton's who provided free coffee and hot chocolate from their coffee truck as well as the dozens of residents who participated on a very soggy and rainy Saturday morning.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace lost or damaged - boxes~ please contact my office and I will personally deliver one (or more) to your home.

EAST END FOOD BANK UPDATE
Several years ago I invited Ward 5 residents to a meeting to discuss the possibility of opening a new food bank and food centre in our Ward to provide a better level of food security for those in need. Since that first meeting we've made tremendous progress including forging a partnership with St. Matthew's House, securing capital and operating resources from City Council and finding and retrofitting a commercial unit at 625 Greenhill A venue. Renovations are complete. We are now seeking non-perishable food items to distribute to the community, and are planning 'food drives' in all neighbourhoods across the ward including the Beach Community. Residents are invited and to call or email my office with any assistance they might be able to provide as it relates to food donations or volunteer efforts.

DYNAMIC SPEED BOARDS ON BEACH BLVD
As previously noted in an e-news update, electronic speed boards have been installed at three locations on Beach Blvd and on a number of other residential streets throughout the ward. The signs collect traffic speed and undertake traffic counts for the City's Traffic Department. Residents can access the information for all locations by visiting the City's
website at: www.streetsoncloud.com/public/Hamilton.

PETITION FOR LIFT BRIDGE OPERATION
For quite some time my office has forwarded requests to the Federal and Provincial governments to install electronic message boards on the 403 Highway advising residents that the lift bridge is 'up'. For your information the Federal Government owns and operates the lift bridge and the Provincial Government owns and operates the 400 series highways. My past request(s) to install electronic signage on the highway has fallen on deaf ears. Earlier this year city council approved my motion formally requesting the same. In consultation with local residents I've created an online petition to assist with the initiative, and hope you'll find time to sign at your convenience at www.chadcollins.ca.

CONFEDERATION BEACH PARK UPDATE
The City of Hamilton has a contract with Alpine Green to complete works at the former Confederation Park campground site. Construction started mid-October and is substantially complete. The work involved the demolition and removal of the former house and central washroom building, removals of the former campground infrastructure, and general clearing and grubbing of vegetation. These works are in preparation of the planned construction of the first phase of the new sports park that includes an outdoor
play structure, pickleball courts, soccer and cricket pitch.

BEACH FLOODING STUDY
Last year's record lake levels caused extensive damage to both public and private properties along the Lake Ontario shoreline and all areas of the harbor. The City of Hamilton's Water Division began a study in 2017 that is investigating and assessing mitigation measures for ponding on municipal lands, surface drainage and existing infrastructure improvements in the Beach Community. The initiatives currently under review will provide water management strategies that will focus on improving area infrastructure and enhancing maintenance activities. The study is targeted to be complete within the next 2 months.

SLOW DOWN' LAWN SIGNS
Last year, the City of Hamilton's Traffic Department created and distributed lawn signs to remind and caution motorists of their speed. My office has redesigned the signs and the new version is now available to the public. If you're interested in displaying a 'SLOW DOWN' sign on your lawn, contact my office and one will be delivered to you.

TREE PLANTING
City Forestry staff continue to plant trees in the Beach Neighbourhood and other areas of the ward, utilizing resources from the Ward 5 area rating fund. If you're
interested in planting a tree on the boulevard in front of your home, or the road allowance portion of your front yard, please contact my office, and I'll forward a
list for your consideration.

REPAIR OF WATERFRONT TRAIL
Hamilton City Council recently approved my motion for emergency resources to assist with the repair of the waterfront trail in the Beach Community and through
Confederation Park. Remedial efforts are already underway to repair the areas impacted by high lake levels and storm activity. Parks staff and summer students will continue to address the natural debris that's come ashore over the last several months.

BEACH GROOMING MACHINE
In 2003 I worked with beach area residents to convince City Council to purchase a beach grooming machine to clean the 4km stretch of beach between the lift-bridge and Confederation Beach Park. As you're probably aware, last year's high lake levels prevented the use of the beach grooming machine. City of Hamilton Parks Department staff took this opportunity to repair and make modifications to the machine to get it ready for the 2018 spring season. I'm pleased to advise that the grooming machine is back in operation
and we're investigating the purchase of a second machine to clean and maintain the area along the shoreline of Confederation Beach Park.

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY GO STATION

The Provincial transit agency Metrolinx has initiated construction of the new Confederation GO Transit Station on Centennial Parkway North at Goderich Road. Demolition of the former industrial buildings is complete, and levelling of the land is underway to facilitate the construction of the new station. It' s anticipated that the new station will be operational in 2019/2020. For your information I've included a copy of the site plan that illustrates (Attached below) the planned design of the new facility.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (905-546-2716), my home (905-545-3737) or by email:
(ccollins@ hamilton.ca).

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
East End Food Bank - Grand Opening

We’re open! I am pleased to announce that the East Hamilton Food Bank opened several weeks ago, and is hosting its official Grand Opening tomorrow, Saturday, May 25th from 11:30 am to 1:00pm. The Food Bank is located in the plaza at 625 Greenhill Ave. (Greenhill Ave. at Quigley Rd.). Residents are invited to attend to share in the celebration, with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11:30 followed by a community barbecue. Volunteers will be accepting non-perishable food items during the event, or during the week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. A special thank you to the dozens of residents who’ve assisted with this project over the years, and our partner, Mission Services of Hamilton.

Top Bottom