Councillor Chad Collins Report, October 2013

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

SIERRA LANE IMPROVEMENTS
The City of Hamilton and the Province of Ontario, through their Ontario Realty Capital group, has
completed a land swap of two small parcels of land on Beach Blvd (at Sierra Lane) adjacent to the Bell Cairn facility. The land transfer will assist the City with our 2014 construction plans that involve paving and widening the street with proper curbing. The new design eliminates access on Sierra Lane for Bell Cairn employees and visitors. It also provides an opportunity to formalize the parking arrangements on the street. Residents of Sierra will receive advance notice of construction activity during the spring of 2014.

EAST HAMILTON FOOD BANK
In 2011 I initiated a project with a small group of volunteers to open a food bank in the City's east end. To date, nearly 40 residents from across the City have participated in the planning process. Our volunteer group is currently contemplating a partnership with a local not-for-profit and charitable organization, with the goal of opening a new facility in the Queenston Centennial Parkway area by the end of 2013 or early -2014. Please note that we're still seeking volunteers. If you're interested in participating in the planning or operation of the new food bank, please contact my office. Our next public meeting will be held on Monday, October 7th, 6:30pm - 7:30pm at the St. Charles Adult Learning Centre, 60 Barlake Avenue.

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace lost or
damaged boxes, please contact my office and I will personally deliver one (or more) to your home.

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY DESIGN MEETING
The City of Hamilton has budgeted nearly $7 million to reconstruct Centennial Parkway from King Street East to Barton Street East. The 2014 project will include the replacement of the existing sidewalks, construction of new sidewalks, replacement of the road and an upgrade to the water lines. A public information meeting is planned to illustrate the design and layout of the new infrastructure, and receive questions/comments from area business operators and
residents. The meeting will be held on Thursday, October 10th from 7:00pm - 8:30pm, at the
Renaissance Banquet Hall, 2289 Barton Street East.

AROUND THE WARD ....
There are a number of other projects underway in Ward 5. September updates include: planned upgrades at Greenhill Ave. Biofilter, St. Christopher's School development update, Rosedale Pool construction continues, and much more. Visit the Ward 5 website at www.chadcollins.ca for more information.

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY GO STATION
The Province of Ontario (through GO Transit/Metrolinx) has completed an environmental
assessment process related to a GO regional transit service extension to the Niagara Region. As part of this service extension initiative, GO TransitlMetrolinx is in the site design process for a new GO Station in Hamilton on James Street North, which is targeted for opening in 2015.
A second GO Transit station is also planned for Hamilton, in the Centennial Parkway area. The City of Hamilton is aware that GO Transit/Metrolinx has begun the process of purchasing land, including some surplus City land along Kenora Avenue for the purposes of the future Centennial Station. We've yet to be informed as to the timing of the service extension. I'll provide construction/design related details as soon as information is made available.

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY BRIDGE WORK
The Centennial Bridge is a CN Rail Bridge that the City owns, and is utilized by CN. Recent monitoring and assessment of the concrete components of this structure show signs of deterioration. The bridge is nearly 80 years old, and according to recent engineering studies is well past its useful lifespan. In addition to the structural and functional improvements being planning for the Centennial Parkway Bridge, the public works department is investigating various alternatives to reduce the chronic flooding problems in the area of underpass.
The city has allocated nearly $12 million to replace the bridge, to be funded over 3 years. The project is currently out for tender, and will be managed by CNR once the contract is awarded. The first phase of the project will include the construction of a detour road around the bridge (the new route will include four lanes of traffic and pedestrian access on one side).
Construction of the detour road, and the relocation of utilities will occur this winter and will be completed by April 2014. The bridge work will continue through 2014, with a completion date of 2015.

HABITAT FOR HlJIVIANITY PROJECT
I'm pleased to announce another project with Habitat for Humanity. The City of Hamilton has donated a third vacant residential lot to the organization that will permit the construction of a new home for a Habitat family on Knapmans Drive. This is the third partnership we've forged with Habitat for Humanity in the Beach neighbourhood, following on the successful construction of homes in 1998 and 2012. The ' organization is currently in the process of designing the new home and it is anticipated that construction will commence in 2014.

SALE OF CITY OWNED RESIDENTIAL LOTS
We. continue to make good progress with the sale of City owned residential lots throughout the
neighbourhood, September sales include the following properties: 258, 260, 262, 880, & 1020
Beach Blvd., as well as the lot located at 4 Fifth Avenue. As with all property sales, the new owners are required to initiate construction within a year, and complete their new residence by the end of the second year.

NEW WiFi SERVICES IN WARD 5
Last year I inititated a campaign to have WiFi services installed in three Ward 5 recreation facilities:
Riverdale Recreation Centre, Rosedale Arena & Seniors Centre and Sir Wilfrid Laurier Recreation Centre. I'm pleased to advise that wireless internet is now available in all three buildings. The low cost initiative allows residents to access the internet with laptop or mobile devices free of charge. Ward 5 is the first electoral ward in the City to provide these services.
Please note that laptop computers will be made available for use at the Riverdale Recreation Centre. I've made arrangements through City of Hamilton recreation staff, and a local computer supplier, to have laptop computers made available to recreation centre visitors. Similar to the services currently offered at Red Hill Library, the computers will be available as part of an after school program for area children, and offered to adults during day and evening hours.

CONFEDERATION PARK IMPROVEMENTS
The first phase of the implementation of the Confederation Park Master Plan will include the
construction of new multi-use trails through the former campground area. City staff are currently working to secure the necessary approvals to relocate the park's main entrance to the top of Centennial Parkway, as well as working with the MTO to permit the construction of a new entrance fronting onto the North Service Road. I'll be hosting a public meeting in October to obtain feedback from park area residents regarding upgrades and enhancements to the
pedestrian entrance on Grays Road. More details to follow.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546- 2716), my home.(545-3737) or by email:
(ccollins@hamilton.ca ).

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Collins, Chad [mailto:Chad.Collins@hamilton.ca]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 12:33 PM
Subject: E-news Update - November 2013

Centennial Parkway Bridge Replacement

On Monday, November 11th, Hamilton's Public Works Department will begin
construction of a detour road that will divert traffic while the Centennial
Parkway rail bridge is replaced next year.

The construction of this detour road is the first phase of the overall
bridge replacement project that is being coordinated by the City, GO Transit
and CN Rail. The detour road will be constructed on Centennial Parkway
between Goderich Street and Arrowsmith Drive (Home Depot entrance). The
road will be built adjacent to Centennial Parkway so there will be limited
impact to existing traffic on Centennial Parkway during the construction
period. Pedestrian access will also be maintained in this area.

Work to build the detour road will be completed by late June 2014 and then
the bridge replacement work will begin. CN Rail will be managing the bridge
replacement project in partnership with the City and GO Transit. The bridge
replacement is scheduled to be completed in 2015.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
another Update

Sale of City Owned Residential Lots
The City of Hamilton continues to sell residential lots throughout the Beach Community and has recently listed the following parcels:
• 2 Rembe - $86,000
• 2 1/5 Rembe - $88,000
• 2 Windermere - $63,000
• 6 Windermere - $65,000
• 6 Kirk Ave. - $112,000
The aforementioned lots are in addition to those listed several months ago including the properties at 966 Beach Blvd., as well as 2 and 4 North Park. City staff are currently surveying 5 large “flag shaped” properties between 490 and 524 Beach Blvd. These lots will be listed shortly.
Jimmy Lomax Interpretive Panel Installation
I’m pleased to announce the installation of an interpretive panel at Jimmy Lomax Park that celebrates the life and legacy of the late Jimmy Lomax, one of the Beach Community’s most celebrated residents. Over a span of 50 years, Jimmy’s ‘Operation Santa Claus’ raised nearly $9 Million for underprivileged families across the City, distributing an estimated 80,000 gifts in that time. The new panel is proudly displayed adjacent to the park entrance and provides a good summary of Jimmy’s accomplishments. A special thank you to Mrs. Lomax, and Beach area residents Chuck Witherington, Ed Nowlan, Scott Howley and Jim Howlett who helped me with this project.

Top Bottom