scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
MAY 2014
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

LOSS OF DOOR TO DOOR MAIL SERVICE
Canada Post and the Federal Government recently announced a country wide plan to eliminate door to door mail service. The plan seeks to provide "community mail boxes" in lieu of the current home delivery model, I have received many calls from local residents who are opposed to the proposed loss of service. In response, I presented the following motion to City Council.
That the City of Hamilton advise Canada Post that it opposes the discontinuation of door to door mail delivery service;
That should Canada Post discontinue door to door mail delivery, Canada Post and the Federal Government be requested to fund the installation of any new Community Mailboxes;
That Canada Post and the Federal Government ensure that the new Community Mailbox sites be fully accessible for the disabled, and well lit;
That Canada Post and the Federal Government ensure that the new Community Mailbox sites take into account the existing parking requirements, future parking requirements, the impact of added traffic on select streets, the requirement for winter maintenance activities and other associated impacts;
That Canada Post and the Federal Government take responsibility for the new Community Mailbox site selection process (including cost), and ensure the appropriate public consultation occurs with their customers/constituents, including but not limited to consultation with neighbourhood associations, condominium boards, BIAs and other entities. That this motion be forwarded to the Board of Directors of Canada Post, all local Members of Parliament, the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, the Association of Municipalities of Ontario, and the Minister of Transport responsible for Canada Post.
I'm pleased to advise that the motion was unanimously approved and has been forwarded to our local Members of Parliament. Unfortunately, the service cut was approved without any public consultation or dialogue. As such, I've initiated an online petition for area residents to voice their concerns. Please visit the ward website at www.chadcollins.ca to sign your name in support of retaining door to door mail delivery service. All responses will be forwarded to Canada Post and the Federal Minister of Transport.
NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace lost or damaged boxes, please contact my office and I will personally deliver one (or more) to your home.
2014 ROAD & SIDEWALK SCHEDULE
The 2014 Road & Sidewalk budget was approved in December and includes a number of infrastructure improvements for Ward 5 Phase 2 of the Barton Street (between Nash Rd N & Centennial Parkway) water main installation project is underway The work will involve lane reductions and temporary road closures for a portion of the spring and summer months. Centennial Parkway, between King St. E and Barton Street is also scheduled for road and sidewalk replacement over the next two construction seasons. Centennial Parkway between King Street and Queenston will be replaced in 2014, while Centennial between Queenston and Barton will be replaced in 2015. Other streets scheduled for work include Cochrane Road, Brookstream Court and Aberfoyle Avenue.
SALE OF VACANT LOTS
The City of Hamilton continues to make good progress with the sale of the vacant lots that were originally purchased by the City in the 1970s and 80s. Since 2002 we've sold over 100 lots, over 70 of which have been sold for residential purposes. It's estimated to take another 2 years to sell the remaining lots on the bayside of Beach Boulevard. As we near the end of the sale process, we're now planning for the reconstruction of Beach Boulevard from Van Wagner's Beach Road to Eastport Drive. The road is tentatively scheduled for replacement in 2018, however that timeline is likely to change for the better by a year or two.
DOGS OFF LEASH
I have received a number of complaints from area residents about 'dogs off leash' along the waterfront trail. Pet owners are reminded that the City's bylaw prohibits dogs running at large except in designated leash free parks. Contravention of the bylaw carries a minimum penalty of $125 to a maximum of $10,000. In response to these concerns I've contacted the City's Animal Control Department for enforcement of the waterfront trail area as well as Confederation Park.
COMMUNITY CLEAN UP EVENTS
With the arrival of the Spring season, individuals and community groups are already in the process of organizing neighbourhood cleanup events. I currently host and/or help organize four cleanup days including events in the following neighbourhoods. Riverdale, Rosedale, Beach and the Greenhill area. The City of Hamilton provides waste and recycling bags, as well as gloves to volunteers and event organizers. If you're interested in organizing an event in your area, or would like supplies to collect at your convenience, please contact my office and I will make arrangements to deliver to your home.
WARD 5 AREA RATING PROJECTS
Hamilton's area rating program was revised in 2011 to address the tax rate inequities that existed after the amalgamation of the former municipalities (Dundas, Flamborough, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Glanbrook and Hamilton). The new tax policies provide the former City of Hamilton wards annual capital resources for infrastructure related projects. For your information, I've included a list of Ward 5 area rating projects on my website.
CENTENNIAL RAIL BRIDGE REPLACEMENT
Contractors are busy preparing the area around the Centennial Parkway railway bridge for the start of construction later this year A temporary detour road will be constructed by the start of July, and will facilitate four lanes of traffic and pedestrian access on the east side. As noted in a previous report, the bridge is nearly 80 years old, and is part of a $12 million project that is anticipated to last nearly 2 years.
2014-2015 WASTE TAGS
Residents should have already received their 2014 waste tags. Every household received 12 tags in the mail in March along with the City's 2014 Garbage & Recycling Guide. Each household can also request 14 more trash tags once per year. If you require the additional tags, please contact my office and they will be mailed or delivered to your home.
GRAFTON AVE PUMPING STATION
I'm pleased to announce that the new pumping station on Grafton Avenue is complete and operational. The facility was constructed to pump groundwater and storm water from bayside side streets, under the QEW and into the harbour Thank you to those residents who assisted with the project over the past 10 years.
AROUND THE WARD....
There are a number of other projects underway in Ward 5. September updates include: planned upgrades at Sam Manson Park, Rosedale Pool update, Pedestrian Priority signal on Barton and much more. Visit the Ward 5 website at www.chadcollins.ca for more information.
QUESTION, COMMENTS, QUERIES...

For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. If you have questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546-2716), my home (545-3737) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca).

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
E-News Update - May 2014

Community ‘Clean Ups’

A special ‘thank you’ to all of the organizers and volunteers who participated in the four Ward 5 community ‘clean ups’ this year. Over 170 people volunteered in the Rosedale, Beach, Riverdale and Quigley neighbourhoods, collecting several hundred bags of garbage and large bulk items. Please note that garbage supplies are available year round to individuals and neighbourhood organizations who choose to organize events outside of the traditional Earth Week timeline.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Centennial Pkwy Detour

Traffic to begin using Centennial Pkwy detour road in advance of bridge work

HAMILTON, ON – May 29, 2014 – This Friday, May 30th, traffic will start using the recently constructed detour road that will be used to divert traffic while the Centennial Bridge is replaced. The four-lane detour road was constructed on Centennial Parkway between Goderich Street and Arrowsmith Drive (Home Depot entrance). The road was built adjacent to Centennial Parkway so there will be limited impact to existing traffic on Centennial Parkway during the bridge construction period.

Effective this Friday, one lane will be open in each direction on the detour road. Crews will complete work on the remaining two lanes over the next few weeks at which time all lanes will open to traffic. Motorists should be advised that this is now a level rail crossing and with construction activity in the area they should ensure they do not block the railway tracks. Vehicles that stop on the railway tracks will be ticketed. Pedestrians should only use the sidewalk provided.

The bridge replacement work is expected to begin sometime in June. More details will be shared in advance. CN Rail will be managing the bridge replacement project in partnership with the City and Metrolinx.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
E-Newsletter Update - June 2014

Two-year construction project on Centennial Pkwy begins this week

HAMILTON, ON – June 9, 2014 – On Wednesday, June 11th, Hamilton’s Public Works Department will begin a two-year construction project on Centennial Parkway between King and Barton Streets. The work involves the replacement of a sewer and trunk water main as well as full road reconstruction including curbs and sidewalks.

This year’s work will occur between Queenston Road and Barton Street. Lane restrictions will be required to complete this work so motorists should expect major delays in the area. HSR service operating in the vicinity of Centennial Parkway and Queenston Road will remain on regular route during the construction project. Delays are to be expected.

The work will wrap up by December and then recommence in spring 2015. The entire project is expected to be completed by late fall 2015. The Public Works Department thanks the community for their patience and cooperation as we complete these infrastructure improvements.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Several residents have contacted my office regarding the recent Provincial Ministry of Transportation signage erected on Beach Blvd announcing temporary closures. Unfortunately, Provincial representatives neglected to advertise these changes to the community ahead of the proposed work. In response to calls and emails seeking additional information, I’ve obtained the following from the MTO construction representatives. Please note that this is a project of the Province of Ontario; if you require additional information please contact my office and I will forward your concerns/questions to MTO representatives and/or MPP Paul Miller’s office.

This email is to inform you that on July 18th, 19th & 20th, 2014 we will be closing ALL LANES on the QEW Toronto Bound (NORTHBOUND) at the Burlington Bay Skyway Bridge. (Weather permitting)

FULL CLOSURE TIMES:

Period 1: Friday July 18th, 2014 22:00 to Saturday July 19th, 06:00
Period 2: Saturday July 19th, 2014 23:00 to Sunday July 20th, 08:00
Period 3: Sunday July 20th, 2014 22:00 to Monday July 21st, 04:00

Notifications are also being sent to local emergency services, law enforcement, and transportation services.

We will be closing the QEW for the purposes of erecting the Work Platforms and Environmental Enclosures to facilitate construction work access for the overhead trusses on the Burlington Skyway Bridge as part of our contract with the MTO (MTO Contract 2013-2047).

During the full closure, traffic will be routed off of the Toronto Bound QEW at Eastport Drive and detoured along Eastport Drive to rejoin the QEW. Beach Boulevard will also be closed off at the Eastport Drive intersection while the detour is in operation. Traffic measures for this detour will be deployed as per contract drawings and specifications including traffic detour signage and OPP traffic assistance at traffic light intersection at Lakeshore and Eastport Drive.

This notification is being conveyed to you as per Operational Constraints contained in MTO Contract 2013-2047.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Community Mailbox sites be fully accessible for the disabled, and well lit;

What about for people that are shut ins or very disabled. Which will be even worse in winters with no home deliveries. No idea how I can get the mail which at present I am a shut in.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Community Mailbox sites be fully accessible for the disabled, and well lit;

What about for people that are shut ins or very disabled. Which will be even worse in winters with no home deliveries. No idea how I can get the mail which at present I am a shut in.
A good job for an aspiring young entrepreneur, charge the neighbours to collect their mail a few times a week.
Might have to start a business.

That is why Chad has asked everyone to visit his website and try and stop the change, never know.

Top Bottom