Councillor Report March 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Councillor Chad Collins

HABITAT FOR HUMANITY PARTNERSHIP
In 2002 the City of Hamilton donated a vacant lot to Habitat for Humanity to assist a local family with their housing needs. The project was a tremendous success, and the home is a wonderful addition to the neighbourhood. I'm pleased to announce that the City has again decided to partner with Habitat for Humanity with the donation of a vacant lot at 2 Comet Avenue. A local builder has partnered with the organization to assist with the build, and it is anticipated that construction will commence this spring. Thank you to members of the Beach Community Council who assisted with this project.

CONFEDERATION PARK FREE PARKING
As a member of the Hamilton Conservation Authority (HCA), I've worked with HCA staff, it's board and area residents to have the parking fees removed at Confederation Park. Since the 1970s, Confederation Park is the only park in the City of Hamilton that charged a gate fee for visitors. The new Master Plan for the park identified the fees as an issue, and encouraged both the HCA and the City to decide whether the fees would be removed or whether they would be expanded to apply to the area around Hutch's and Lakeland Pool. I'm pleased to advise that as of January 1, 2012 the parking fees at Confederation Park have been eliminated. Thank you to those residents who assisted with the petitions and participated in the master planning process.

NEW & EXPANDED BUS SERVICE
City Council recently approved my motion for expanded year round HSR bus service between Eastgate Square and Lakeland Pool on Van Wagners Road. The new service coincides with the regional shopping complex under development on the former scrapyard on Centennial Parkway. As you are probably well aware, a new Walmart is the first of many stores to open its doors at this location. A number of other developments are also planned at this location including a hotel, an office building, some restaurants and a bank. The new year round bus service is scheduled to start March/April of 2012, and will operate seven days a week between the hours of 10:30 am to 6:30 pm. The service is a pilot program, and will be monitored through 2012 to gauge the ridership and popularity of the route (#56 Confederation Park).

NEW OR REPLACEMENT BLUE BOXES
If you require a new blue box to increase your household recycling activities or to replace a lost or damaged box, please contact my office and I will deliver one (or more) to your home.

CONSTRUCTION OF PUMPING STATION
For a number of years I've worked with Beach community residents, and City of Hamilton staff to resolve the decades old problem of groundwater flooding on bayside side streets. I'm pleased to announce that construction of a new pumping station has started in the vicinity of Grafton Avenue. The work will include ditch work, installation of a new sewer system, and the construction of the pumping station. The ditch work and bulk of the sewer work will occur along the QEW noise barrier between Arden Ave. and Dumaven Ave. The multi-million dollar project is scheduled to take more than a year to finish, with a completion date of April 2013.

QUESTIONS, COMMENTS, QUERIES ...
For the past number of years I have distributed newsletters and community reports to neighbourhoods across Ward 5. The purpose of the report is to keep you up to date with neighbourhood initiatives. If you have questions or comments regarding the content of this report please do not hesitate to contact me at City Hall (546-2716), my home (545-3737) or by email: (ccollins@hamilton.ca). Please note that I'm now available on Facebook and Twitter (@Collins_Ward5).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Councillor Sam Merulla

WOODWARD AVE - Coordinated Replacement Project

Brampton St. to the Museum of Steam and Technology entrance - Woodward Ave is to be reconstructed in 2012 along this section and this construction will be coordinated with watermain replacement. A road diet from four lanes to two lanes plus a centre two-way left turn lane will be created, and cycling lanes will be added on both sides of the street. The street is planned to have a design similar to the recently reconstructed section south of Brampton St.

North of the entrance to the museum, cycling lanes are planned to be painted between the Museum of Steam and Technology entrance and Beach Blvd. The bike lanes are planned to connect to Beach Blvd to provide a comfortable cycling route to the lake shore and to Windermere Basin Park. Windermere Basin Park is the revitalized green space between Windermere Basin and Eastport Dr.
Link to 2012 Capital Budget Report provided should further information be required, as follows:
http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartme...eBudgetTaxes/2012+Approved+Capital+Budget.htm

PEDESTRIAN WATERFRONT LINK OVER QEW - Update on Meadow Naturalization
Restoration of naturalized areas on Rennie/Brampton Streets landfills and on new trail ramp to Van Wagners Ave. (along the trail connection from Brampton Street to the Waterfront Trail) is proceeding. This work is ongoing and residents should expect to see more native vegetation establishment this spring and summer. Seeding was completed last fall, and some areas may require additional seeding. Native wildflower meadows often take a few years to fully establish, and will be monitored for successful establishment through this time.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
thanks for that report I use Woodward all the time.

I met Sam a few weeks ago seems like a decent guy
Yes that short bit of road that is left is in pretty rough shape, hopefully they do something with Parkdale next.

I never really had much to do with Sam, most people I talk to seem to like him, but he gets ripped apart by the comment section in the Spec.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Councillor Chad Collins

CONSTRUCTION OF PUMPING STATION
For a number of years I've worked with Beach community residents, and City of Hamilton staff to resolve the decades old problem of groundwater flooding on bayside side streets. I'm pleased to announce that construction of a new pumping station has started in the vicinity of Grafton Avenue. The work will include ditch work, installation of a new sewer system, and the construction of the pumping station. The ditch work and bulk of the sewer work will occur along the QEW noise barrier between Arden Ave. and Dumaven Ave. The multi-million dollar project is scheduled to take more than a year to finish, with a completion date of April 2013.
There isn't much to see at the bottom of Grafton Ave. except a lot of soil that has been moved around. The attached photo shows the opposite side of the Beach on Eastport Drive where work crews are putting the finishing touches on the outlet pipe.

More info; http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/71F8A8B8-D8C1-4545-808C-20CB7ABD5DBE/0/Dec03PW07154.pdf

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B5D5ADA5-3C06-44EF-8556-E714542758EE/0/Nov7Item_8_2_PW06118a.pdf

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Work is moving along......

The first picture was shot back in May and it shows the before look of the pumping station as seen from the bottom of Granville Ave looking toward Grafton Ave.

Still from the bottom of Granville, large concrete piles are being made;

Taken from the bottom of Grafton;

From today,

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I thought that the City was installing a collection pipe at the end of the sidestreets, I was wrong. Work crews were busy this week moving fences and were digging a ditch beside the highway which will carry the rain water to the new pumping station.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The previous picture shows the inlet pipe, this one has work crews getting ready to allow the connection of the main inlet pipe to the drains located on all the sidestreets. They are lowering the water table so they can dig without the water interfering.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From Councillor Chad Collins Report
MAY 2014
BEACH COMMUNITY EDITION

GRAFTON AVE PUMPING STATION
I'm pleased to announce that the new pumping station on Grafton Avenue is complete and operational. The facility was constructed to pump groundwater and storm water from bayside side streets, under the QEW and into the harbour Thank you to those residents who assisted with the project over the past 10 years.

____________________________________________________________________________-

I will add a few more pictures of the completed project when time permits, but I like to thank the project coordinator from Alberici Constructors, Domenic Giannetti helped with pictures all through the project as it was a construction site and I couldn't always take pictures.

Top Bottom