Councillor's Column by Chad Collins

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Lakeland Plan

This is the Lakeland plan that Chad was referring to in his column. Thanks to Bruce Duncan, General Manager / CAO of the Hamilton Conservation Authority for sending this in.
Scotto

Attachments

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
The waterpark is great, but I will be sending a letter into to Bruce asking a few questions, The skateboard, volleyball and basketball courts have been eliminated. And we don't want to pay for parking Do we, I'll let you know the outcome

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
Hi Scotto, this information I received last Friday, I asked Bruce to forward all the minutes of the meetings regarding the new facility. The three courts and several shade areas are apparently gone because of budget restraints. This makes me wonder how Chad possiblily thing an NHL skating there would be affordable, but I will find out!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Burke;
Thanks for the update, that's not too much of a biggie for us and can be added later if really needed. We do have basketball at Kinsmen Park and even though there are many skateboarders down here, I see the problems they are having with the one beside Parkdale Arena. The skateboard ramp was also cancelled on the mountain because of the Parkdale one(From what I hear) and it was to be built beside the police station.
We are happy just to have such a nice facility in our backyard, lets get that done and worry about the rest later. :wink:

Attachments

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
Just heard from Bruce, all is good. The volleyball and basketball and shade areas have not been eliminated as said in the minutes.
It will be good to see it open next month.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Burke said:
Just heard from Bruce, all is good. The volleyball and basketball and shade areas have not been eliminated as said in the minutes.
It will be good to see it open next month.
Burke;
That's great news, it is looking real nice and we can't wait for the place to open. They will have to work fast to open next month. :celebrate

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
Tis good news, I can't see them opening the pool this year, mid august people don't want to swim. This year might be different though. I'm putting together a newsletter for the folks here in Parkview, could you tell me if Gwen is still doing the Beach Banner?
Saw Jim in the Sunday Sun again. The Windemere Basin is full and has to be dredged, am wondering how the city is going to do that.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Burke said:
Tis good news, I can't see them opening the pool this year, mid august people don't want to swim. This year might be different though. I'm putting together a newsletter for the folks here in Parkview, could you tell me if Gwen is still doing the Beach Banner?
Saw Jim in the Sunday Sun again. The Windemere Basin is full and has to be dredged, am wondering how the city is going to do that.
If it gets as hot as it was in the last while, people will want to cool down, if temperature is down then you won't see many using the pool. There is always next year.
Yes, Gwen is still doing the Banner, the deadline for submissions is August 29 if anyone want something in the September issue.
I missed Jim's(so did he) article from Sunday, the Sun in going to send it in today and will post it.
I don't know what is going on in the Basin, maybe Jim has some info.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Still a lot of work to do, the last picture shows the frame for the top of the lighthouse structure (The City guys call it a cupola) finally in place, makes a big difference for one day.

Attachments

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
wow

Thanks so much for posting the pics, it's really coming along, maybe the grand opening will be this fall as schedualed.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Burke said:
Thanks so much for posting the pics, it's really coming along, maybe the grand opening will be this fall as schedualed.
You're welcome, I guess you are right, it will be too late to do any swimming this year. Next season. :tbu:

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Stopped in yesterday to see how the work was coming along, the main building is almost ready to be secured with doors and windows, once that's done, the old building will be demolished. Hopefully sometime next week. The Splash Pad will be ready for the cement trucks by Monday and the pool was getting some finishing touches. The nice site manager that showed me around said that the lighthouse section will be open 24/7, so the general public can catch the view of the lake and the surrounding area anytime you wish. :tbu:

Attachments

Burke

Jul 5, 2005
Looks great Scott, thanks so much for taking the pictures. I was down a few weeks ago to see the work. It saddened me to see the centre though, I spent so many years volunteering at that place. The Optimists sure did rape it clean. When I left there was about $10,000 in equipment that belonged to the community, gone but not forgotten, not by me anyway. I just hope it gets used and is affordable.

Top Bottom