Coyote Season is Coming

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Coyote Season is coming
What do coyotes look like? Coyotes can easily be mistaken for unleashed dogs - they
have large, upright ears and bushy tails, look a bit like small German shepherds, and have
narrow, fox-like muzzles (noses)
What areas of Hamilton have coyote activity? Coyote activity is generally reported in
open areas in the west Mountain, Stone Church, King's Forest, Garth Street and Stoney
Creek Mountain; however, recently there have been more cases reported at the beach.
What can I do to prevent coyote problems? A few tips include:_· Never approach or
feed coyotes._· Enclose your yard with a solid fence, preferably six feet high. High fences
flush to the ground or dug below grade level will help prevent coyotes from entering
yards._· Properly store and maintain garbage containers._· Don't leave pet food outside.
Coyotes are opportunists and will take advantage of easy food sources.
What should I do if I see a coyote? It's common to see coyotes in rural areas and in
urban areas located near ravines or woods. If you are walking in an area where there may
be some coyote activity make sure you walk in a small group. You can use a whistle,
personal alarm or flash light to scare coyotes away. If a coyote approaches you, stay calm
and wait until they move on, but do not run. If confronted by a coyote: yell, stamp your
feet, look big, and wave your arms to scare the coyote away. It is especially important
that children know what to do if they see a coyote.
What kinds of reports have been made about abnormal coyote interactions with
people and pets in Hamilton? In February, 2009 there have been four (4) reports in
Hamilton. There have been two reports of attacks towards small dogs and two reports of
interactions with children. The kinds of behaviour seen towards children has primarily
been following or chasing (food seeking behaviours) without any direct physical contact.
Coyotes are generally shy, cautious, and non-confrontational but can be curious.
Normally coyotes pose no danger to adults, but people should be aware there are
potential risks to pets and small children. Coyotes, by nature, are fearful of humans.
Attacks by coyotes on people are very rare (only a few documented cases in all of
Ontario) - far more uncommon compared to dog attacks on people. In all known cases of
coyote interactions with people the coyote had lost its fear of humans because people
were feeding the animals.
How can I protect my children and pets?_· Never leave children (especially small
children) unattended. _· Teach children not to approach or harass wildlife or any
unfamiliar animals._· Keep cats indoors or confined to your yard._· Ensure your dog is on
a short leash or confined to your backyard.
Who do I call about coyotes?_· If a coyote (or dog or any wild animal) is presenting an
immediate threat to public safety call Police. _· If you see a coyote that does not seem
fearful of people, or is injured or deceased please call Animal Control at 905-574-3433.
Where can I find additional information? The City of Hamilton's Animal Control:
www.hamilton.ca/animalcontrol. Animal Control has a brochure that deals with Coyote
awareness at: http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyr.../0/AnimalControlCoyoteInformationpamphlet.pdf

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Mating season is starting now with a lot of wildlife. And that's usually when people have problems or see more wildlife.

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Yesterday, at 0330 am, our good friend and former upstairs neighbour in Toronto, Taylor Mitchell, died 8 hours after being mauled to death by two coyotes in Nova Scotia.

Words cannot begin to express the pain and sorrow my family is feeling right now, and I cannot begin to comprehend what her mother, Emily, who raised her only child all by herself, is going through.

Taylor was a bright, articulate woman who at the age of 19 had the world on her plate. My husband and I watched her grow from a kid who loved cats, horses, and music into an accomplished songwriter and performer and a beautiful woman. Our neighbours for over ten years, we shared christmas dinners, garage sales, nights out. We would house-sit for each other. We would go out for coffee on Saturday mornings. When we moved her to the Beach, Taylor came out to a barbecue we had and was so happy for us and our new home. The thought that her wonderful smile has been extinguished breaks my heart.

Please, PLEASE do not underestimate the power of a coyote. Taylor was not a stupid woman - the trail she was on was well populated (much like our beach trail?), she was alone but it was broad daylight, and she had told others where she was going. Being only the second recorded coyote attack fatality, there is lots of speculation going on about the condition/size/breeding of the coyotes who attacked (and yes, there were witnesses, they WERE Coyotes, not wolves or dog hybrids). Nevertheless, while beach residents here fear for their pets and garbage cans, never again will I be so flippant in my beliefs. I was all for co-existing with the coyotes here, but as of 0330 yesterday I have no use for them.

PLEASE be careful. Don't run from them. Don't make direct eye contact. Don't approach them. And whatever you do, don't turn your back on them. Yell, throw sticks, make yourself big and scary. Don't let what happened to our dear friend Taylor happen to you.

Please say a prayer for her mom Emily. I am devastated for her.

Top Bottom