DSL Internet?

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Hi! I am new to the Beach - hubby and I are just in the process of moving into our "new" home :)

I am in the midst of setting up utilities (and paying oh so much for them!) and now need Internet. Right now, we have lite Cable. I was hoping to get DSL - but Primus would never get back to me, never responded etc. Now I have contacted Start Communications and they tell me DSL is not available in the Beach area.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to go the cable route but I don't want dial-up...sooooo slooowww lol.

I wanted a VOIP phone and I guess that's out of the question too :(

Many thanks!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have the regular high speeed cable, works fine and should be faster than DSL.
Yes, we still have some old telephone lines down here and until that is fixed, there is no DSL.
You can get Rogers portable service, that would work down here and is pretty quick.

But what is wrong with cable??

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks for the welcome :)

For starters, Cable is expensive ;) Primus offers a $39 home phone/internet deal that I was after.

Second, I've been a Rogers customer in Toronto for years and swore I would never do it again. Nothing but problems. Their customer service is appalling. When we moved, we wanted to get a Satellite dish, but of course satellite internet is pricey.

Oh well - looks we are going to have to go the cable route! Thanks for the info.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for the welcome :)

For starters, Cable is expensive ;) Primus offers a $39 home phone/internet deal that I was after.
My monthly bill for just the Internet connection is $42.95 plus taxes, a bit more than Primus. And again, if I had the choice I would stay with the faster connection.

Second, I've been a Rogers customer in Toronto for years and swore I would never do it again. Nothing but problems. Their customer service is appalling. When we moved, we wanted to get a Satellite dish, but of course satellite internet is pricey.
The people I know with Rogers say the same about Cogeco, to me they (Cogeco) have solved any problem I have sent their way. And I always get someone who speaks english, unlike many of the services from other companies who have sent their customers help centres to India just save some money.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I have the wireless sympatico high speed works great, we had dial-up and yes it
was a nightmare.
The wnap(?) highspeed is fast.

Weclome to the blvd

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
That's good to know, I wonder if Bell will still change our old lines if wireless does the job??

Thw wnap?? Did I miss something here??

Geez Scott tell me you don't still have a rotary phone.:laugh3:

I guess you have missed something, I been on wireless for about 8mnths now

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Geez Scott tell me you don't still have a rotary phone.:laugh3:

I guess you have missed something, I been on wireless for about 8mnths now
What's the matter with a rotary phone??

I have helped a few computer illiterate friends with hooking up their Roger's wireless and I hate Bell, so I have had nothing to do with their wireless setup. I have to get out more often I guess.
I talk to all my geek friends all the time and hang out on computer sites, I have never heard of wnap.

That's what Google is for....
http://www.esoterraka.com/twcn/nodes/setup/p05.html

http://www.esoterraka.com/twcn/projects/tormap/

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I only have it as I on the hand used to delv cable modems and picked up a month later as they did not work. I can't truely knock cable as I have never had it other than to watch the Young and the Restless. Yes I follow this show like a novel.

The bell at the time of moving told us we were 1.3km out of range. No kidding.

I wish I had pc geek friends that could advise me more, just have ones that can fix things on my bike, and doo.lol

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
I am on cogeco too, since bell is not available for high-speed in our area, the difference is now I would not move from cogeco to sympatico if they paid me. My cousin in London has sympatico and all it does is lag and disconnect .

Top Bottom