Environment Report

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the January, 2007 Beach Banner
We have had a lot of dirty fallout-burning plastic smells, and sulfur fumes wafting over us for the past couple of months. The committee is presently working hard to "find out and prove" just who is doing the plastic burning. Going with the quote: "The squeaky wheel gets the oil" all we can do is keep complaining loudly when ever these incidents occur. Please phone and report it. MOE. 24 hr.line 1-800-268-6060 Local office- 905-521-7650

Jeanette

Oct 12, 2005
Environment

Hi Folks:
In response to the thread: Environmental Issues, I would assume everyone has seen all the black soot all over the white snow. Would someone please tell me who our Alderman is and how to contact him because I would think that this would be the time to take some samples of this chemical and get it tested. Then perhaps we could find out who the culprit or culprits are that are contaminating our beach community.
I will also contact the MOE re: this issue but I also feel that our Alderman should be working on our behalf as well.
Let's all pass the word around that we all need to complain. As Scotto said "it's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease" and unless we complain to the proper channels, nothing will be done.
Thanks.
Jeanette

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Folks:
In response to the thread: Environmental Issues, I would assume everyone has seen all the black soot all over the white snow. Would someone please tell me who our Alderman is and how to contact him because I would think that this would be the time to take some samples of this chemical and get it tested. Then perhaps we could find out who the culprit or culprits are that are contaminating our beach community.
I will also contact the MOE re: this issue but I also feel that our Alderman should be working on our behalf as well.
Let's all pass the word around that we all need to complain. As Scotto said "it's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease" and unless we complain to the proper channels, nothing will be done.
Thanks.
Jeanette
Hi Jeanette;
Thanks for the great post and our black snow is nothing new, attached is a picture of the Beach store (Ernie's Lunch back then) from around 1970 and the snow is very black. It has been here for some time, the problem is that who do we blame for this mess. Stelco and Dofasco will blame each other and Columbian Chemicals, they also blame the busy QEW for the fallout. If you have been watching the news lately, there has been a lot of attention given to the soot falling in the Eastend, is this the same crap??? Councillor Sam Merulla from Ward 4 has been working on this issue for some time and hopefully he can get these companies into court and the residents can get some help.
it is very hard to find the culprit unless we have documentation and testing, but it all seems to happen late at night, so it is somewhat difficult to document. Testing could find some answers, but if more than one company have the same production processes, then who do we go after??
The MOE may be of some help, contact them and see what they can do.
Our Councillor is Chad Collins, his email is ccollins@hamilton.ca
Also, have a look this Blog, This Week at the Stacks documents some of the fallout from different companies from around the harbour.
http://hamiltonstacks.blogspot.com
All the best and please keep us updated.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Stelco and Dofasco blamed for black dust

Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator.

By Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 22, 2007)
The Ontario Ministry of the Environment blames Stelco and Dofasco for "black snow" reported by Beach Strip residents Feb. 5-7.

Acting regional manager Carl Slater says the worst samples collected -- containing 70 per cent coal and coke dust -- came from homes directly downwind of the steelmakers' storage piles just across the eastern end of Hamilton Harbour.

But Gord Forstner, director of public affairs for Dofasco, says a company investigation found no evidence any of the material had come from its bayfront plant.

"We are not acknowledging any coal or coke left our site," Forstner said yesterday after the ministry delivered letters to five unidentified complainants telling them it had directed both companies to take corrective action.

Stelco's Andrew Sebestyen was unavailable.

Slater said the ministry told the companies: "We think it is you and we require you to do a couple of things:

* "Bring in a consultant or other qualified person to determine the extent of the impact on Beach Strip properties, and tell us what you are going to clean up and when.

* "You have to determine what are best available practices to manage the problem on an ongoing basis and tell us how you are going to do that."

He said they have until April 14 to report.

The ministry moves are significant because it's the first case of specific industries being held responsible for incidents of black fallout that have plagued parts of east Hamilton in the last year.

Forstner said Dofasco agreed to go along with the ministry requests even though it isn't convinced it did anything wrong.

He wouldn't comment on a possible cleanup, saying, "We prefer to work directly with our neighbours rather than through the paper."

Jim Howlett of the Beach Community Council said: "There seems to be an increase in black particulate this winter. Three or four snows were black within two days."

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
As dust settles, Dofasco, Stelco say they'll pay for cleanup

Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator.

By Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 31, 2007)
Stelco's Hamilton Steel confirms that it and neighbouring Dofasco will split the cost of cleaning at five Beach Strip homes soiled by a "black snow" of coke and coal dust early last month.

Spokesman Andrew Sebestyen says the two steelmakers, which store coal on docks across a narrow stretch of water from some Beach homes, are also working together to survey other properties that may have been affected.

"There were several meetings a day between the companies last week," said Sebestyen, who conceded "not too many other companies" could be responsible for coal dust fallout.

But he was nevertheless careful to say the companies will do any necessary cleanup "without speculating as to the source."

The Ontario Ministry of the Environment said last week that it blamed the two steel companies after analysing dust samples that turned out to be 70 per cent coal and coke, but Dofasco's Gord Forstner said at the time, "We are not acknowledging any coal or coke left our site."

Forstner also refused to comment on any cleanup, saying, "We prefer to work directly with our neighbours rather than through the paper."

A ministry official said both companies had been told to determine the extent of impact on Beach residents, report on any cleanup needed and determine the best way to prevent a recurrence.

It's the first case of specific industries being held responsible for incidents of black fallout that have plagued parts of east Hamilton in the last year.

The black snow label comes from Jim Howlett, spokesman for the Hamilton Beach Community Council, who said this week he had received a letter from Hamilton's public health department in which the ministry said the dust particles were large and not easily inhaled, so it didn't expect any harmful health effects.

It also said the ministry would order the steelmakers to take action if they don't provide cleanup details and prevention plans by April 14.

Howlett said residents had already told the ministry and the company more than five homes were affected. "The whole neighbourhood was affected, but a lot of people don't call because of apathy."

He said they want more than a cleanup. "We want them to pool some money for environmental compensation, to mitigate the effects and enhance the neighbourhood. They could contribute to a trail along Eastport Drive or plant trees along the QEW if the transportation ministry agrees."

Sebestyen said he hadn't heard the request yet, but said he would talk to Howlett about it, noting the Hamilton Industrial Environmental Association already has a planting program slated to put more trees along Burlington Street.

emcguinness@thespec.com

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Fallout

I attended the monthly Beach Council Meeting last night and this topic was visited for a very lengthy time.
Many avenues of direction were discussed, but the main point that was stressed was that if you had a fallout issue with your property, then you have to call and report it by April 6th, 2007.

Stan Iszkula at telephone number (905) 528-2511 ext.3250 or;

Tom McGuire at telephone number (905) 548-7200 ext. 6766.

I have attached a letter that one the few Beach residents recieved from Dofasco and Hamilton Steel.
Also, it seems that only Hamilton Steel (use to be Stelco) is fulling cooperating with residents. It was suggested at the meeting that Dofasco was trying to duck out of any compensation.:mad:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Residents get cheques as 'good faith gesture'

By Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 17, 2007)
Columbian Chemical doesn't believe it was to blame for the oily, black fallout over parts of east Hamilton last summer, but has sent $250 cheques to 73 people who complained of damage to their homes and belongings.

In an unrelated action, the Environment Ministry reports that Stelco and Dofasco have hired a claims adjuster to determine losses suffered by Beach Strip residents when a "black snow" of coke and coal dust fell in February.

The steelmakers had earlier said they would split the cost of cleaning five of the worst-hit homes. The ministry has given them until May 31 to submit consultants' reports on measures to prevent such incidents.

David Ash, general manager of Columbian, which makes powdered carbon black in its plant on Parkdale Avenue, north of Burlington Street, sent a letter with the cheques.

It said, in part: "While none of the test results have identified Columbian as a major contributor to the dust issue, we consider it our duty as a good neighbour to support the community during this time. Therefore, as a good faith gesture, we are providing this cheque for $250 to help address any inconvenience you may have suffered ..."

Brenda Johnson of Environment Hamilton said that organization received permission from more than 90 complainants to share their names with Columbian, which also relied on its own complaint list in deciding who received a cheque.

But Johnson said she and Lynda Lukasik, Environment Hamilton executive director, argued against the flat-rate payments, saying $250 wouldn't even cover the insurance deductible for people who sustained heavy losses and that others had no permanent damage.

They said settling claims individually would cost less than the $18,250 paid out, and suggested the saving be spent on equipment for a neighbourhood park.

Carl Slater, a senior Environment Ministry district official, said Stelco and Dofasco had sent all Beach community residents a letter inviting them to report dust damage so a professional adjuster could assess claims on a case-by-case basis.

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thursday, May 31, 2007 | Updated at 9:10 AM EDT
Hamilton Spectator

'Black snow' plans due today from Stelco, Dofasco
The Environment Ministry expects to hear today from Stelco and Dofasco on how they plan to avoid a repeat of last February's soiling of Beach Strip properties.

At the time, the steelmakers said they would split the cost of cleaning five homes worst hit by a "black snow" of coke and coal dust.

The ministry gave the companies until today to submit consultants' reports on measures to prevent such incidents from happening again.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
'Coal storm' blows in

Beach Strip dust cloud caught on film by residents
By Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jun 16, 2007)
Beach Strip residents have dramatic photos of what they call a "coal storm" -- a huge streamer of coal dust blowing across the harbour from Stelco and Dofasco storage piles to the beach and beyond.

Jim Howlett, spokesman for the Hamilton Beach Community Council, says such dust clouds occur frequently. "We get rogue coal storms that come through here like something you hear about in the desert, but we have no credibility. We're ticked off because no one believes us."

But there are believers this time.

Both Stelco and Dofasco acknowledge strong wind hit their coal piles ahead of a thunderstorm Friday, June 8.

But Stelco's Andy Sebestyen says the dust cloud began upwind of the steel mills, over the city to the south. He said Hamilton Steel stopped moving coal and put extra water-spray trucks out to dampen the storage piles ahead of a predicted thunderstorm.

"Then, as we were looking out the office window, we saw a black cloud approaching from the southwest. It obscured everything, and we picked it up on our cameras ahead of the coalfield."

Dust blew over the Beach Strip long enough for a resident to grab a camera and capture scenes from the Burlington Canal lift bridge to Windermere Basin.

Drivers turned on their headlights, and people on the Dynes Tavern patio stood and stared in amazement at the dark cloud billowing over the Burlington Bay Skyway, past them and out over Lake Ontario.

Dofasco spokesman Gord Forstner said yesterday: "We did have an incident of blowing dust last week that we only learned about last evening at a meeting of a community advisory group. We immediately contacted the affected properties and are arranging cleanup."

When "black snow" fell in February, Dofasco denied responsibility, but it and Stelco's Hamilton Steel split the cost of cleaning five Beach Strip homes.

The MOE blamed both companies after collecting dust samples made up of 70 per cent coal and coke dust. It told the companies to submit consultants' reports on how to manage the problem.

Ministry spokesman Carl Slater said yesterday, "We're going to take this latest incident into consideration as we deal with the submissions from the companies."

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

Photo Special to the Hamilton Spectator
A Beach Boulevard resident submitted this image of what is claimed to be a wave of coal dust blown in from storage piles located in the harbour during heavy winds Friday, June 8, 2007.

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
We are one of the houses affected. The black crap on our desk/house still won't come off even though it has been powerwashed. My father is working with the adjusters to get something done, I will post when I know more.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
smr;
Please keep us informed and if you have any good pictures, see if you can include them.
And if anyone else has something to add, please do so as this is a very important concern to our community.
Attached is picture of my vinyl siding taken last March just before I took the out the pressure washer and clean it all off. I had to put up with this ugly mess for a month because it was far too cold to clean it. The outside wash was the easy part, I still had to take all windows apart and clean those.

Donka

Jun 5, 2006
I just had an insurance adjuster come by my house today and he said he was working on behalf of Dofasco to coordinate the clean up of the houses who complained. I explained I thought it would be pretty difficult to show him how bad it was considering it was 5 months after the incident, but I took him over to my garage and showed him the soot that was covering the area under my eaves where rain hadn't washed it away.

Apparently he'll be sending a clean up crew to come by and do an estimate to clean pretty much every exterior surface on my property. He said they'll go so far as to clean my patio furniture and the concrete and everything. Of course, they're not admitting any fault, but maybe if we keep hitting them in the wallet they'll do something about the real problem. Maybe.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I just had an insurance adjuster come by my house today and he said he was working on behalf of Dofasco to coordinate the clean up of the houses who complained. I explained I thought it would be pretty difficult to show him how bad it was considering it was 5 months after the incident, but I took him over to my garage and showed him the soot that was covering the area under my eaves where rain hadn't washed it away.

Apparently he'll be sending a clean up crew to come by and do an estimate to clean pretty much every exterior surface on my property. He said they'll go so far as to clean my patio furniture and the concrete and everything. Of course, they're not admitting any fault, but maybe if we keep hitting them in the wallet they'll do something about the real problem. Maybe.
Donka;
My neighbours and myself got the same offer, they will clean it up but will not state that they are at fault. They blame the dust from the QEW and other tenants around the port.
I somehow got this thread mixed up into two with one that was in the section "In The News", I have now merged the two together and you might want to re-read all the post and think, who is at fault?:rolleyes:
Again, if anyone has some pictures to add, please post them or send them to me and I will post them for you.

Top Bottom