Green Gables

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Dad was asking me if I knew if the old green gables building was anything but the second hand shop in the past... Can you advise?
I remember as a kid, going there and getting ice cream cones. So a long, long time ago it was a resturant.
About forty years ago, a family named Knupstrup (sp?) bought it and turned it into a antique shop. The Schnieders were the second owners of that type of store.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I don't know what it was when it started, or even when it started and maybe, just maybe, my memory of it being a Chinese resto is faulty. After all, it would't be the first time my memory has erred. I agree that Green Gables doesn't sound Chinese but if the place was named by an earlier operator that could explain it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I never doubted Crawfish here :D, again just wondering if that was the original business??
Did your mother say anything about that??
Thanks!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Is the building still there?
No, the property is now high end condos, one phase is done and being sold, the second to start in the near future.
Just to add, this isn't the original Green Gables that was further south down the Beach on the harbour side owned by Hamilton business man W.E. Sanford.

A picture from when it was open;

Attachments

Top Bottom