Hi All

monzee65

Aug 24, 2007
I am new here and love the site. My connection to the beach was my Grandparents and Father.They lived on the Burlington side in a winterized cottage.The last name was Dorans(James and Marion"Minnie").My grandfather died in the early 70's and my grandma lived there until the city offered her enuff(i think) to sell (early 80's).She died in Nov '05.I have all the memories of visiting the strip every second weekend during football season as my other Grandma lived on the mountain.I used to walk down the tracks which were just infront.I remember the trains going by(and felt them too).I remember all those stinky smelts dying and washing up on the shore.I even remember them burying them in ditches along the beach.So many memories on the beach!!!.Unfortunately all the residences on the Burlington side are gone.Not many landmarks to see.If anyone has any memories of them or anything else on the north side,I would love to hear about it!!!I am gunna try and get the address of their residence(it was in the 2000 number i think)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Monzee;
Welcome to the Beach site and great post, I do have a few photos of the Burlington side and when I dig them up I will post them here.

I knew a few of Burlington side residents (not the Dorans though), but as you wrote they are mostly gone.

And the smelts, I remember coming home on the bus and when you came around the bend from Woodward Ave. the stench would be overpowering.
The smelts seem to be gone as this year I seen very few being caught.

As for landmarks, the old pumphouse is still there but beyond that the Burlington side has completely changed in the last twenty years.

If you have any questions or concerns, please post away.

Top Bottom