Horse cars on the Beach -What could have been

While researching an article on the Hamilton Street Railway for my website, I found this newspaper article in the May 9, 1892 Hamilton Spectator that I thought folks might be interested in.
While this never came to pass, the idea of horse cars running up and down the beach seems very appropriate. (Apologies for the poor image quality)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Beach Street Cars
________

A New Idea of the Hamilton Street railway Company​

When, in a few weeks, the street cars of Hamilton will be run by lightning, many of the present bobtail cars and all the horses will be thrown out of a job. The street car company is thinking seriously of using a portion of this discarded plant to run a line of street cars along the residence portion of the beach, the cars to run in connection with the boats of the Hamilton steamboat company. If the scheme goes the beach resident will be taken up at his place of business in Hamilton and set down before his own cottage door at the beach without any delay whatever. And vice versa. Moreover, many people go to the beach by boat and are landed at the piers, or by train and are landed at the Ocean house, who never see the residence portion of the beach. It is well worth seeing and the proposed line would be largely patronized for this purpose.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
hamiltontransit;:rock:
Great find and thanks for posting it, yes not the best for reading so I re-typed it out, hopefully I got right.
BTW, I don't think this ever went through and if you find more, please add.
Thanks again, Scott.

hamiltontransit;:rock:
Great find and thanks for posting it, yes not the best for reading so I re-typed it out, hopefully I got right.
BTW, I don't think this ever went through and if you find more, please add.
Thanks again, Scott.
I was researching for this article, which involved reading a year's worth of the Hamilton Spectator.

http://hamiltontransithistory.host-ed.net/1892.html

In all the 1892 newspapers I read after this date, I never found another mention of Beach horse cars, and the HSR got rid of most of their horses by the end of summer 1892. Also, the HRER was built a few years later, right down the middle of the beach, and I haven't heard if there was another set of tracks that were in there first. But still, anything's possible, I'll keep my eyes open.

Top Bottom