Joseph Brant Museum

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
I'm getting on in years so sometimes I don't see what I think I see BUT I was in the Museum a couple of years ago. In the room, off the hall, where the King's Head Inn sign is they have a map below it. I'm sure they marked the King's Head where the old fort was. I went and got the girl to look at it. I pointed out where the King's Head was and that was the fort. She made a note and was going to have the curator call me. I went back months later, and it was still the same. If anyone else has business there could they take a look and see if I'm right and we may have to complain collectively because they don't seem too concerned over what I saw as a big boo boo. :confused:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I wonder if they would mind that I took a picture of that map???
What do you think Drogo??

Did they have any other old maps of the harbour there???
I'm going to stop other there next week if it ever stops snowing.

D Smith

Mar 4, 2008
Drogo,
Funny you should mention the bit about the map in the Joseph Brant Museum. As a volunteer at the Museums of Burlington, I was poking about the JB Museum the other day in search of some info on the King's Head Inn. I was in the gallery with the curator who suddenly looked puzzled and pointed out the error in the map to me. He is new to the Museums in the past six months so had no previous knowledge of anyone's complaint regarding the mislabelling of the Inn. I spoke to him futher today and when I mentioned your posting, he wanted me to assure everyone that the problem will be fixed. He did mention one other curious thing.....that the orientation of the map was all wrong.....north being on the bottom of the map and south at the top. Perhaps this is the reason for the mismarking of the King's Head Inn. I don't suppose that somewhere along the line, someone has "reversed" the image ???
D Smith

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
D Smith
Well I am glad to hear that I haven't completely lost my marbles. I found it hard to believe that any museum curator wouldn't take seriously someone's query as to the validity of anything that was displayed as historical. She could have at least said it was correct at which point I would have loaded myself up with ammunition and payed a visit. Glad it is going to be taken care of. Good going and thanks for taking a look for yourself.

D Smith

Mar 4, 2008
Drogo,
All the credit goes to the new curator. At the time that I was in the gallery, I hadn't read your posting. It was the curator who noticed the error on the map as we were looking at the display of the King's Head Inn. I'm sure the mislabelling will be rectified in the next little while..... :) I'll keep you posted !!
D Smith

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I stopped at the Brant Museum today and the staff were nice enough to show me around.
This another one of those great places that is right in our backyard, I haven't been through it in many years, but they show some displays and history panels that someone has put a lot of work into.
Stop by and have a look for your self, it's well worth the price of admission.
I have attached a few pictures and a little more info that was on one the Museum's leaflets-
Joseph Brant Museum
Built between 1937-1938 as a replica of the original home of Captain Joseph Brant, Thayendanegea, one of Burlington's earliest settlers, the Joseph Brant Museum is Burlington's community museum. Through guided tours, exhibits, interactive displays, a hands-on discovery gallery, visible storage, educational programming, and special events, Joseph Brant Museum tells the important story of the historical founding, settlement and development of the Burlington area. The museum also contains a significant collection of costume and costume accessories.

Thanks to Brianne and Paul from the Brant Museum (our newewst member) for all their help.

More info can be found at www.museumsofburlington.com

PaulStone

Mar 17, 2008
Map

Hi Scott, just to let you know, I contacted the exhibit company that did the original display panels and they still have the original map file. They are in the process of making the correction and the new map should be up soon.

Paul

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Scott, just to let you know, I contacted the exhibit company that did the original display panels and they still have the original map file. They are in the process of making the correction and the new map should be up soon.

Paul
Paul;
Thanks for the come back,:hail: please lets us know when the new map comes in.
Also, thanks for joining, we can use all the history members we can get.

Top Bottom