Life for gymnast has been whirlwind of global competition

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Kevin Lytwyn is the son of long time Beach resident Peter Lytwyn, now living in Stoney Creek

Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator
Gary McKay
Hamilton Spectator
Friday October 30, 2009
Getting to sleep in his own bed, train at his own club and hitting the books is something Kevin Lytwyn is really looking forward to for the next couple of months. That's because early next year he knows that the hectic travel and competition schedule he's endured for the last nine or 10 months will start all over again.
The 18-year-old Stoney Creek resident is a rising star in Canadian gymnastics. He burst into the limelight this past summer when he won the gold medal in high bar and a bronze in the parallel bars with dramatic performances at the Canadian Gymnastics Championships at McMaster University.
Since then his life has been a whirlwind of competition and training camps from one side of the globe to the other.
At one point last month he wrapped up the World Junior International Championships in Yokohama, Japan, then travelled to Tokyo, flew to Toronto, then after a three-hour wait flew to London, waited another five hours and then bused three days to a small town on the English east coast for another training camp to prepare for the world championships. In total, they were travelling or in transit for 38 hours straight. Ah, the glorious life of an elite athlete.
"We've been going non-stop and I'm getting pretty tired," said Lytwyn, who trains out of the Burlington Boys' Gymnastics Club. "And next year is going to be worse. We just got the schedule for next year and it's crazy."
Lytwyn, who graduated to the senior ranks of gymnastics at the Canadian Championships, was still eligible to compete as a junior at the World Junior Championships in Yokohama, and won bronze medals in both the vault and high bar despite the fact that he sprained a trapezius muscle just days before leaving for the competition.
He also competed in his first world championship as a senior in London, England.
"The fact that he competed in his first Worlds a big deal for him," said his coach Carlo Pacella. "It was a big learning experience and he won two medals in Japan.
"This has been a breakthrough year for him because now he's a senior and there are quite a few seniors (on the Canadian team) that are packing it in."

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A gym-dandy up-and-comer

May 26, 2009
Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
(May 26, 2009)
Kevin Lytwyn has one major goal in mind for this week's Canadian Gymnastics Championships at McMaster University.

"I just don't want to go there and start falling," says Lytwyn with a smile.

Falling isn't something the 18-year-old Stoney Creek resident does a lot of. He's one of the top up-and-comers in the sport and next week will mark his graduation into senior ranks. He's won a national championship as a novice and last year won the Elite Canada meet in his final junior year.

Next Thursday, when the men take the floor at McMaster for their portion of the championship, Lytwyn will be there as a senior, although he'll be one of the youngest competitors at that level.

"I want to do well, obviously, and put on a good performance," he says.

There's a lot at stake in this championship for Lytwyn, who trains at the Burlington Boys' Gymnastics Club.

"A few of the guys on the national team, including Kyle Shewfelt, have retired so right now the national team is in a rebuilding stage for the next Olympics, so this is very, very important," said Carlo Pacella, who is Lytwyn's coach. "There's also the world championships in London in October and it would be fantastic if in his first year Kevin could qualify to go there on the senior team."

The national team can send as many as six men to the world championships but they're unlikely to send six just for the sake of sending six. The exact number may well depend on how athletes perform, this week.

One of the things that Lytwyn can bring to the table is his versatility.

"Kevin is strong in every apparatus except the pommel horse and the only reason he's not as good in the pommel horse is because he's so muscular in his upper body," Pacella adds. "Floor is great, rings are great, vault is good, as is parallel and high bars. He's good on five of the six for sure. Because we can specialize, to have someone who is good on five of the six events is really good for the team."

Pacella says the fact that Lytwyn will be one of the youngest competitors there won't work against him.

"He's ready," Pacella says. "He has a strong character as far as being a competitor and that's something that you can't coach. I've had gymnasts before who look fantastic in the gym, when you go to a competition they deflate. Kevin's not like that. He's not easily intimidated. He knows what he has to do and he does it. He also knows all these seniors and we're looking to keep up with them."

Lytwyn is also looking forward to being able to compete in front of family and friends.

"We go all over the place and they don't get to come and watch, so it's important for them and me. It's a chance for me to say 'remember what I was doing last year? Check out what I'm doing now.'"

He's very much looking forward to that -- as long as he doesn't fall.

gMcKay@thespec.com

905-526-3242

Canadian Gymnastics Championship

When: Friday, May 29 to Saturday, June 6.

Where: McMaster University.

Disciplines: Rhythmic, trampoline and tumbling, and men's and women's artistic.

Tickets: Adults $10 ($15 for the finals). Tickets are only available at the door.

TELEVISION: CBC will have coverage of the finals on June 6 beginning at 2 p.m.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Gymnast earns gold in first championship as senior

By Laura Lennie, News Staff
Stoney Creek News
Sports
Jun 19, 2009
Large Medium Small Print This Article Tell a friend When Kevin Lytwyn stuck his twisting, turning dismount in the event final for high bar at the Canadian Gymnastics Championship June 6 at McMaster University, he was ecstatic.
And for good reason.

Lytwyn’s score of 15.1 won the gold medal in his first national championship as a senior.

“I was the last one up on the last event for the entire meet and was a little nervous, but it all came together,” said the 18-year-old Stoney Creek resident. “It felt good to win, but I was more happy that the Canadian Senior National coaches were happy and that I didn’t fall during the routine.”

Lytwyn also qualified for the event finals in parallel bars, where he picked up a bronze medal for tying for third and vault, where he finished seventh.

“I was happy with my performance on those events as well, but high bar was definitely the highlight of that competition for me,” he said.

Lytwyn got his start in gymnastics about eight years ago at the Hamilton East Kiwanis Boys and Girls Club. He now trains at Burlington BG’s Gymnastics Club, under the coaching of Carlo Pacella.

“At the beginning, flipping around and learning new moves was just so much fun and as a grew older, I ended up doing well in competitions and then eventually got a position on Team Canada,” he said. “Now I get to travel around the world and meet many new people. I just really enjoy it.”

Lytwyn has nailed a number of accomplishments over the years.

He won the novice title at the 2006 nationals, tied Adam Wong for the most medals ever won in gymnastics at the 2007 Canada Winter Games in Yukon and placed second overall in the junior category at the 2008 nationals in Calgary.

“It was obvious to me from the beginning that Kevin had the potential to be a great gymnast. What he accomplished in Hamilton in his first year as a senior was remarkable, but not a surprise. We had planned for a great result in our hometown, but ultimately, through shear dedication and hard work, Kevin made it happen,” said Pacella. “It was because of his overall performances over the years that I believed this result was possible. Kevin never rests on his laurels.”

Lytwyn will continue to train, while he waits to find out if he’s been named to the Canadian team for the World Championships this fall in London.

“Preparation involves a few hard training camps with Team Canada and many routines at home,” he said.

There’s another challenge Lytwyn would like to meet head on.

“I would like to compete on the world stage at more events and hopefully make it to the 2012 Olympics,” he said.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Many thanks to Peter Lytwyn for sending in a few pictures and more info :tbu:

Canadian National Gymnastics Competition

McMaster University June 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjmL8yjG2lM

There are, Gafuik said, up-and-comers as well that include 2009 Canadian high bar champion Kevin Lytwyn (Burlington, Ont.).

July 3, 2009

http://www.olympic.ca/en/news/nathan-gafuik-embarks-next-olympic-journey/

Canada’s Kevin Lytwyn wins two bronze medals at international gymnastics competition

September 23, 2009

http://www.gymcan.org/site/news.php?id=104

More;

https://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/gymnastics-training.html

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Lytwyn rings up gold

Lytwyn rings up gold
MONTREAL - Kevin Lytwyn, of Stoney Creek, won a gold on rings and a bronze on floor, while Ken Ikeda, of Abbotsford, B.C., took the silver on pommel horse at a World Cup gymnastics meet on Saturday. He was first among five finalists on the rings. Lytwyn, a strong contender for a spot on the 2012 Olympic team, was competing for the first time at a World Cup meet.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Stoney Creek's Kevin Lytwyn: ‘This is definitely the biggest medal I’ve got’

Jul 16, 2015
The Hamilton Spectator
24-year-old gymnast native wins Pan Am silver on the horizontal bar

Hamilton Spectator
By Scott Radley

SEE MOREarticles from this author

His brain was already in full flight the moment he woke up. Rather than slowly shaking off the cobwebs Wednesday morning, he immediately found himself somewhere between anxious and excited and under pressure.

He'd had his chance in the team competition a few days before and hadn't won a medal. He'd taken his crack at rings and left empty-handed. Same with floor. Meaning this was his last opportunity at his home Games to claim a medal.

There would be no do-overs if he couldn't make it happen this day.

"I had goosebumps at 8 this morning when I woke up," Kevin Lytwyn says.

Still does.

By the time the 24-year-old Stoney Creek native tucked himself back into bed 15 or 16 hours later after one of the best days of his life, he was a Pan Am Games silver medallist, having come through in the biggest possible way on the horizontal bar.

"I've never felt anything like this in my life," he says.

Getting to that point was almost as exhilarating as it was exhausting.

With his event not starting until 3:30, his day was spent finding ways to remain occupied and distracted. Every time he let his mind wander ahead, the nerves kicked in. Worse, every time he started thinking about competing, his energy level spiked.

"I probably had eight cycles of adrenalin today," he laughs.

That repeated emptying of the tank isn't ideal, so he went for a workout, grabbed some food, went back to his room to watch a movie, did a little souvenir shopping and took a few practice spins in the gym. Anything to keep himself from obsessing about what was to come. Then 3:30 finally arrived.

Lytwyn's been in gymnastics for a decade-and-a-half now. Calculating the hours he's invested, the sweat he's poured out and the callouses he's ripped off his hands would require a half-dozen calculators. All so he could do his incredibly difficult routine at this one moment.

As he made his final preparations, he truly felt ready.

"I told my coach (beforehand), 'I feel pretty good today,'" Lytwyn says. "'I don't know what that means.'"

Whatever it meant, he was still feeling it as he launched into his routine. As one move swung into another and then into another, he knew he was on. The huge, loud Canadian crowd was reinforcing that belief in the background.

Even so, letting his guard down before his work was finished has bit him on the butt before. So he kept telling himself he wasn't done. Concentrate. No mistakes. Finish strong.

When he dismounted, he knew he'd come through. His score of 15.475 — good for first place at the moment — validated that.

"That was probably the best performance I've done in competition," he says.

That said, there were still four men left to go. Three had the skill and degree of difficulty to knock him off the podium with clean routines. He was far from in the clear.

It says something about the man that he says he watched them all rather than hiding in a corner and hoping they'd fail. He even says he rooted for them, knowing they've put in just as much time and effort as he has. They deserve the same success, he insists.

The first got his reward. He went clean and grabbed top spot. One of the remaining three then fell. The other two were pretty good and gave him a run. Yet when the final score was posted, he was still in second.

Kevin Lytwyn was a silver medallist.

"This is definitely the biggest medal I've got," he says.

The worlds are coming up soon. Qualifying for the Olympics is on deck, too. Those are huge. But for now, this is enough. This is more than enough.

All those years of sacrifice and training and eating right in order to chase this dream of achieving perfection – or something close to it – when the lights are brightest and the pressure is most intense were justified in this one routine.

Thinking about all that, the goosebumps returned.

"I just got a whoosh of it all over again," he says.

Was it all worth it?

"It's worth it."

sradley@thespec.com

905-526-2440 | @radleyatthespec

Scott Radley is a sports columnist for The Hamilton Spectator. Follow on Twitter: @RadleyAtTheSpec
http://www.thespec.com/pan-am-games...is-is-definitely-the-biggest-medal-i-ve-got-/

Top Bottom