Martin's Pleasure Gardens

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
OK I know there was a wharf for this place on the Bay. It was near Dynes wharf. I've seen an article on a tragic boating accident there. This was a hotel. Does anyone have information on it. I'm trying to find out if John Martin was the owner. I've heard of applications for licenses in the 1860s I believe but they were in Mrs. Martin's name. Unfortunately that doesn't help me.:bang:

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
There is a Map Surveyed and Drawn in 1874 by Thomas C. Brownjohn that shows Martin's Wharf extending from the beach side of the "inlet" to the peninsula that extended from the bay shore on the north southward toward what was known as "The Island" (Crooks Island at one time, and another name I can't remember right now, at another time) at times of high water. In periods of low water the peninsula and "Island" were all one.The wharf (bridge?) extended to the peninsula and continued out into the Bay. (It appears to be two wharves, one on each side, rather than one crossing the land like a bridge, but it might have been.)
Thomas Martin owned the property opposite his wharf, on both sides of the road, with a large building on the bay side and four buildings on the lake side, and the nearest to the road (of those) running parallel to the road, is marked "Hotel". (It was known at least at one time, as "Martin's Pleasure Gardens".)
All of that was north of John Dynes' property. There were 4 buildings on his, all on the lake side on that large piece of property that included both sides of the road. The largest building, by far, isn't marked "Hotel", but the shape is right. Opposite the buildings was a wharf on the bay, much smaller than Martin's wharf, and well south of the southern tip of the island.
I have seen a contemporary engraving of the collapse of Martin's Wharf, but I have never seen the article (do you have a date for the accident?) and would also like information about the application for the Hotel Licence.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Martin Pleasure Garden

Fred
The news article was sent on to the lady researching this. At the time I saw no reason to hang onto it. Dumb I know! She is also the one with the copies of the applications for licenses. I'll try to find her email and see if she has the stuff.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
Not sure if this relates...

my uncle, Frank Ryan lived on Bayside Avenue at Dynes Station in 1926 and 1927. I believe my grandmother lived there first. Anyways, he had his sailboat docked at the foot of Bayside...the site of the Yacht Club?? He drowned in a tragic boating accident in July of 1927 after sailing out of Bayside over by the Steel Company. 3 others drowned including my cousin who was a baby. The Hamilton Spectator said it was the worst tragedy on the harbour in 40 years. Uncle Frank was the brother of Bill Ryan who ran 2 drug stores on the Beach.

Drogo

Feb 8, 2005
Thank you for the reply. I remember Ryan's Drug Store. I moved from the Beach when I was young but we had family there so we were always back and forth visiting. The 1927 accident sounds terrible but much too late for the one I was referring to. Wish I had the article because I believe it said that a boat that brought the city people over to the beach came up to the dock and someone on the dock or on the boat fell and I believe was crushed against the dock.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
Yeah, I should have read all the posts in this thread. The reason I mentioned was to give further credence to the possibility of a yacht club near Dynes. There was a quote in the newspaper articles during the week of my Uncle's drowning about a similar accident 38 years before in which 5 members of a family drowned but nothing about someone being crushed. That would make the earlier accident 1889.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The reason I mentioned was to give further credence to the possibility of a yacht club near Dynes.
I have attached a picture showing the Beach Yacht Club located across from the Dynes.
Jim and Ross Somerville are the two kids sitting on the motorboat, the yacht club building is in the back ground.
(Thanks to Ross Somerville)

Attachments

Top Bottom