Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Great Lakes coast guard vessel named in memory of scientist

September 09, 2009
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
BURLINGTON (Sep 9, 2009)
Pride, sorrow and celebration mixed at the christening of the Canadian Coast Guard Ship Kelso at the Canada Centre for Inland Waters yesterday.

The 18-metre, aluminum-hulled research vessel, designed and built by Abco Industries in Lunenberg, N.S., was dedicated in memory of John R.M. Kelso, a federal fisheries scientist who died in 2004 at 59.

Kelso began his career in Burlington, then spent 25 years leading a satellite team in Sault Ste. Marie, studying issues such as acid rain, invasive species and degradation of fish habitat.

His widow, Donna, shed tears before breaking the ceremonial bottle of champagne against the bow. Oakville MP Terence Young and Coast Guard officials spoke of the valuable work CCGS Kelso will do in advancing fisheries and freshwater science on the Great Lakes.

Kelso replaces the soon-to-retire CCGS Shark, a converted tugboat in service since 1971.

Coxswain Bob Gay, who moved over from the Shark, has taken Kelso through all five lakes since she was delivered in June. He said he enjoyed moving "from a very good boat to an excellent boat, much bigger, better and with more modern equipment."

Kelso is classed as a nearshore fisheries research vessel with a crew of two and room for up to 10 scientists and technicians. It's basically a day boat equipped with a full galley and a couple of berths in case the crew needs to remain aboard.

Abco president John Meisner said his yard had built several 48-foot vessels for the Coast Guard, but Kelso, at 61 feet, is the biggest and most complex so far. She will be based at the federal centre on the shore of Hamilton Harbour.

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

Coxswain Bob Gay is a Beach resident.

Photo- Forum photo.

Kelso.jpg

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Yes, thanks. He usually comes in a little slower, but there was a big line up that day so Capt. Bob had to move it along.
you need to start signing your name to some of these photos.

This is a blow up for sure.

One day you just might get a great shot of the waterlilly blasting one of those waves.lol

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
you need to start signing your name to some of these photos.

This is a blow up for sure.

One day you just might get a great shot of the waterlilly blasting one of those waves.lol
That pic won't blow-up too much as it is only 93 KB and don't be going too fast in the canal, the cops will give you a ticket.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
That pic won't blow-up too much as it is only 93 KB and don't be going too fast in the canal, the cops will give you a ticket.
I thought they were going to nail me last weekend I was sitting at the dock when some folk came over and told me there was a jetski broke down right out in front of your window, I was towing it back in when they came out. It was ruff so we were going slow.

:3gears:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I thought they were going to nail me last weekend I was sitting at the dock when some folk came over and told me there was a jetski broke down right out in front of your window, I was towing it back in when they came out. It was ruff so we were going slow.

:3gears:
I somehow missed that one. Must not have been near lift time.

Top Bottom