Movie From the 70s

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Not sure some of you knew that the movie "Haley's Gift" was filmed back in the 70s I think it was at the beach. The house isn't there anymore, I think the Dieppe Park is there now.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Not sure some of you knew that the movie "Haley's Gift" was filmed back in the 70s I think it was at the beach. The house isn't there anymore, I think the Dieppe Park is there now.
That movie was shot further down the strip across from Fourth Ave and one of the Davies' boys was picked as one of the actors. My house was at Dieppe Park. I don't see anything on the Net about it, but I didn't dig too far.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I haven't found any info on the net about that movie either. If I do I will post it.

I thought it was filmed closer to the bridge. But hard to remember that far back. :)

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
Hailey's Gift

If I ever get my video history of Burlngton/Hamilton Beach finished, it will contain a segment about the making of the Hailey's Gift movie, by the producer of the film. As I remember there were some interior shots in the film, but I don't remember where they were shot - it may have been on the Beach, or in Burlington.
The exteriors of the "creepy" house were shot at a small white cottage/house with a porch, on the Bay side of Beach Blvd., I'm not sure of the name of it at this moment, but the name that comes to mind is Elsinore (not to be confused with the much older (1890) and larger Elsinore convalescent hospital for children, on the Lake side between the Rail Road Tracks and Beach Blvd, on the property between the old Baptist Church, (later called Bethel Hall and then used as a Beach Community Hall, and the site of Hobb's Hops), and Fourth Avenue. That Elsinore was torn in the late 1920's.
Anyway, everyone seemed to want that old frame cottage on the Bay side torn down, until it was torn down, and then a story went around that it was the oldest house on the Beach, and should have been restored!
Be careful what you wish for!

Buckwheat

Mar 13, 2013
Killarney, Hailey`s Gift

Cool site, my first post. The movie was made 1975-76 I rented the property and lived in what I thought was the servants quarters. One of the actors in the movie was Barry Morse (the detective in the original "Fugitive" series). He stayed in a motor home on the property between shots. Wish I would have taken a few pictures of them filming. I came home from work one day and they had a set of aluminum rails in the driveway the camera man rode on. I thought it was quite a big deal to have a famous actor in the back yard. I have tried in vain to locate the movie. I would love to see it one day. Thank you, Brian.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Cool site, my first post. The movie was made 1975-76 I rented the property and lived in what I thought was the servants quarters. One of the actors in the movie was Barry Morse (the detective in the original "Fugitive" series). He stayed in a motor home on the property between shots. Wish I would have taken a few pictures of them filming. I came home from work one day and they had a set of aluminum rails in the driveway the camera man rode on. I thought it was quite a big deal to have a famous actor in the back yard. I have tried in vain to locate the movie. I would love to see it one day. Thank you, Brian.
The house you rented was far bigger than any of the old buildings that were next to you and you had the sevants quarters?
I seen that movie many, many years ago and remember the youngest Davies boy was one of the actors.
And I wish you would of took some pictures too.

Top Bottom