Mrs. Duff's Choir

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The first I heard of Mrs. Duff's choir was at last year's Beach Reunion at the Dynes when one the participants showed me a photo of a girls choir that Marjorie Duff lead. Member Crawfish has sent in a programme and a photo of the ladies choir. He also attached this message, a little more Beach history from Crawfish.

"Attached is the programme for the Beach Ladies' Choir Festival. This whole show was organized by Marjorie Duff who was a central figure in the cultural activities of the Beach for many years. She taught piano and voice and ran the Benjamin Bunny Kindergarten and raised a talented artist named Paul Duff. In the inside pages you will see ads for many familiar enterprises on the Beach and the participants are all familiar old names to the Beach of the 40's. Much to my regret, at the time, even I was performing as a little pig in the play by the kids from the kindergarten. I have a picture of my costume which I only share with my family."

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The first photo attached is of the of the Ladies choir sent in by Crawfish, he also sent in the message below.

"On the back of the photo, in my mom's handwriting, is the date 1939?. The question mark suggests that mom was unsure of the exact date of the photo so this may not be the exact choir related to the festival but will be essentially the same. Mom identified most of the members as follows:
Front row from the left,
Kay Crawford (my mom) Elsie Wiggett, Bea Prendergast, Marjorie Duff, Girlie Henderson (Kemp), Winnie Briggs, unknown.
Back row: Far right Edna Tomlinson."

The second picture is Marjorie Duff's girl's choir, this photo was given to me at the Dynes reunion and I will have to wait until the next one to give credit as I don't have name for this picture.
Thanks again to Crawfish. :hail:

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Jude said:
The 2nd pic- thats my mom 3rd from the left. front row. :) The sang on the radio that day.
She was sitting beside the person that I borrowed that picture from at the reunion, ask her who it was.

Top Bottom