New Signs on the Path

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Last winter the City received a number of complaints from residents regarding adults and children wandering out onto the ice bank along the lakeshore.
Beach Rescue and Hamilton Police do train for this problem every year just in case someone does fall into the lake or harbour and we do have a few threads on the site concerning the ice banks, as well ice on the Bay. Also, many of you may remember many of Spec articles over the years reporting people (mostly children) falling into the lake or stuck out on the lake, all from playing on the ice banks. Some know very well first hand.

The City will be installing some new signage along to Path to warn residents and visitors of the dangers of travelling out onto the ice banks.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sent in by member Crawfish

They will be lucky to stop kids from playing on the ice banks. This practice has been taking place since the ice banks first formed. The attached picture was taken in the early 40's and shows me pushing my sister down the bumpy banks behind our house. Many a bruise was generated by this practice. Some of them even appeared on me.

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
You big bully. LOL

I agree, it is not safe. Even though I think as kids, we have all played on them even after being told not to.

I guess taking ropes with us to help pull eachother out wouldn't have helped if we really fell in. But, we thought we were being safe.

Jul 25, 2005
Must be really cold up there, I remember them bring in the (Coast gaurd) cutters in 78 (barely) on the ohio. Been quite mild here since 83, colder than a titches wit that year!! (I remember -30 F at Christmas) Peeps don't know what could happen. Wifey can's and I can run the household off a generater if need be. Had an ice storm here a few years ago, tree's taking elecricity lines out. Folks acted as if chickens with there heads cut off.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't think it's that much colder here than in Ohio, but when winds come from the east and the lake gets rough, these huge ice banks form all along the beach. The colder and more windy it gets, the bigger the banks.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It has been very mild for most of this winter, so no ice banks yet. I just wanted to add this picture(attached) of what not to do and why the signs have been posted by the City.
The person in this picture is a little hard too see, so I added an arrow to show how he is standing on the edge of the banks in front of a lot of floating ice. Not seen is the guy's dog who stayed on shore and didn't go on the banks. Who has more brains??

Top Bottom