New to the Beach Strip

kmackiewicz

Oct 4, 2007
Just moved to the strip Oct 1st. Been coming down here my whole life and love it. Just one problem since I came. Some days the toxic smell is so bad I feel like I can't breathe and need to shut the windows. Is it dofasco or the highway fumes? I am worried how bad it is for us. Any info would help tks. I am near the variety store area.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Oh yes isn't it soooo nice.:mad:
Everytime someone gets out of their car at my house, they ask me if I have a (natural) gas leak. I say no, the smell is coming from over on Eastport somewhere and it isn't asphalt.

I call the MOE this morning and they told me that they were looking into it as I have no idea what it is, if I get any response, I will post it here.

When you smell this odour, please call the MOE

(905) 521-7650

kmackiewicz

Oct 4, 2007
Thanks for the response. So this is a new thing for everyone? What has MOE said so far? It is such a beautiful place to live but now I am wondering how long I will be able to take it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks for the response. So this is a new thing for everyone? What has MOE said so far? It is such a beautiful place to live but now I am wondering how long I will be able to take it.
I called this morning and just after I called the wind changed, so they won't be able to do anything today.

This odour is new starting in the last couple of months and it was more of a concern in the 700 to 800s on the blvd, now it seems to have move into our area, 550 to 700s.

When you smell the odour, call the MOE.
The Beach Council is handing out frig magnets with all the numbers to call, check here-
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have been here a few years (living in the 700s) the smell has been here since we built, what has changed is the sootlike substance that we have been getting all summer.
We were getting an asphalt odour ever since the tar plant opened, this facility was to be odorless. It is a lot less troublesome than it was, but we still get the odd problem.(many years later now)

Not to disagree smr, but to me this is a newer odour and I can't figure out where it's coming from.
The black soot problem is as old as the steel companies and we are working with them in an effort to reduce and/or completely remove the source.

I really hope the MOE gets to the bottom of this one, but again we have to keep complaining.:tbu:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Could this be it???

Sewage smell swamps downtown

The Hamilton Spectator
There were widespread reports of a bad smell amid the fog and drizzle downtown and in north-central Hamilton at mid-afternoon today.
Amanda Denault in the Environment Ministry’s Hamilton district office, said staffers who investigated speculate it was caused by compounds known as TRS or total reduced sulphur, coming from Stelco, Dofasco or both.
The fire department, which speculated it was steel-mill coke-oven gas blown in on a northwest breeze, received the first call, reporting a natural gas odour in the area of Barton and Emerald streets at 3:06 p.m.
Responding firefighters described the smell as more like sewage.
A truck was also sent to Hamilton General Hospital about 3:20 p.m. Firefighters on that alarm said the odour seemed to be dissipating.
Other calls came from across a widespread area, one from a security guard at City Hall, which is now empty and awaiting renovation.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I think it might be the metal recycling plant over on strathearn, came by yesterday and it was really bad. IMO worse than Columbian Chemicals!!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have been told that Toronto Truck Lines are trying to move a large load of methane, could be that as well. I talked to the MOE guy and he hasn't had much luck in tracking it down.

Top Bottom