Pathway Speeding

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
So how many residents have some concerns on speeds of cyclist, and or roller bladers?

I just talked to a friend who rollers blades down here and she was hit by a cyclist a few weeks ago. She was okay, but the speeding cyclist went to hospital.

Lucky for him she is a firefighter and was able to administer 1st aid.

He hit the garbage can and his bike broke in two pcs :inn:

And he is missing some front teeth and had a nice gash in his upper lip.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
So how many residents have some concerns on speeds of cyclist, and or roller bladers?

I just talked to a friend who rollers blades down here and she was hit by a cyclist a few weeks ago. She was okay, but the speeding cyclist went to hospital.

Some of them do travel far too fast on the Path, had my dog hit by a speeding bike a while back. He was fine, the cyclist wasn't.
His bike was also beat up a bit, which was worth around 6k.
So do we move the radar gun from the blvd to the Path?

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Some of them do travel far too fast on the Path, had my dog hit by a speeding bike a while back. He was fine, the cyclist wasn't.
His bike was also beat up a bit, which was worth around 6k.
So do we move the radar gun from the blvd to the Path?
Not sure that would work, look how many people pay attention to no motorized bikes. Last I looked electric bikes had a motor, and a few others.

Maybe we need speed bumps!!!:D

Suzanne

Sep 16, 2006
speeding on path

I really think this is something that has to be addressed. The speed of some of the racing or riding clubs is frightening. One minute you see an older person with a walker and then ten bikes fly by. And now there are motorized motorcycles and bikes. If my dog sees a squirrel and decides to go to the other side of the path suddenly, someone at these speeds cannot control themselves... or if a small child with training wheels on his bike takes a tumble in front of 20 guys in a speed skating race, the results could be critical.

Just my 2 cents, but the 'old days' with police on bicycles on the path might be helpful - and I like the idea of speed bumps!

suzanne

I've had it with the "racing" clubs

Sorry I'm late to the party with this one!

I just wanted to say that I'm fed up with the cycle and inline skating clubs using the waterfront trails as their own personal training grounds. I can appreciate that it's a nice long, flat ride for them, but can they use it for recreational use and "train" elsewhere?

I have been sworn at and yelled at by passing cyclists who are "training". Sorry, but I live here and this where I walk my dog and socialize with my neighbours. Most of us wouldn't see each other otherwise. We should be able to stop and chat and have our dogs play together.

When are these speed racers going to realize this part of the trail is in a community and children and animals are unpredictable in their movement. The recreational cyclists and inline skaters are fine, they can stop in time if a child or dog unexpectedly runs across the path.

My neighbour's child was struck down and left there as the cyclist rode away. He never stopped. Unfortunately, the entrances to the path are obscured by the foliage, but I think that everyone who uses the trail should be responsible for knowing where they are and be on the lookout for people and pets entering at those points.

Just this morning one of my neighbours told me of a training cyclist who yelled at her while she was out walking her dog with her son as they accidentally got in HIS way. This jerk told her that his bike was worth $20,000 he then hauled off and hit her and rode away.

These assaults and hit-and-runs need to stop. Can we find out what clubs these inconsiderate morons belong to and lodge a complaint? Can we stop them from "training" along the trails? As residents of this part of the Waterfront Trails what options, or rights, do we have?

Rant over. Soap box being stored away...for now! :)

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I would sure have like to been there, I would have chased the bastard down,

I hope your friend reported this to the police.

Becareful neighbours...

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Murf;
Rant all you like, I don't spend a lot of time on the Path, especially during peak times. But I am starting to hear more and more complaints about the cyclists and it's not all of them just a select few. The Beach Trail is for everyone to use and it is not the Autobuhn, is it time to get the City involved and have speed limit signs posted? It might be something that could be discussed at a Beach Council meeting.

Scotto, I avoid the path at peak times as well. It's almost suicide to do so, especially in the summer. However, some of them are out at 8:30 in the morning. You are right, it's not all of them, but the ones who are obviously training and going at high speeds while they do so are often the problem.

I would like to see it on the agenda at the next Beach Council meeting. However, is there anything we can do about it? Does the City even care? There are signs at all the entrances to the path saying pedestrians have the right of way, etc., but I don't think anyone reads them.

The other issue, off topic, would be getting visitors to clean up after their dogs. It seems to also be a hot topic with my fellow dog-walking neighbours. But, I digress! :)

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Scotto, I avoid the path at peak times as well. It's almost suicide to do so, especially in the summer. However, some of them are out at 8:30 in the morning. You are right, it's not all of them, but the ones who are obviously training and going at high speeds while they do so are often the problem.

I would like to see it on the agenda at the next Beach Council meeting. However, is there anything we can do about it? Does the City even care? There are signs at all the entrances to the path saying pedestrians have the right of way, etc., but I don't think anyone reads them.

The other issue, off topic, would be getting visitors to clean up after their dogs. It seems to also be a hot topic with my fellow dog-walking neighbours. But, I digress! :)
it is not just the cyclist, more so roller bladers training on Sunday mornings.

SPEED BUMPS ( removeable ones for winter cleaning)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip

His bike was likely worth a good dollar, just like the one that had hit my dog a couple years ago.
Hope he is alright but I guess something should be to slow down the speeding bikes before someone really gets hurt.

Top Bottom