Polar Bear Dip 2006

Len Simmons

Sep 30, 2005
St. Thomas, Ontario
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody knows what time the polar bear dip will take place; I'm with the Hamilton 343 Southern Cruiser Motorcycle riding club and we plan to make the trip (Via Motorcycle) and some participating in the dip, we would really like to get there as close to the time of the dip as possible. so we would really appreciate a knowledgeable time.
Thanks (Smerky)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Smerky;
I have never been to one, but I will this year. I don't remeber the dip time as it is New Years Day and the night before can be a rough one. I will try to find out though.
You are going to drive motorcycles on a day that could be like today??? :1:
Bring your beach towel. :apat:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It's settle then, no snow that day. :rolleyes:
I checked with Rich Creechan from Hutch's on the Beach, Rick told me that the official dip time is 1pm, but some jump the start time and go in around noon. He said the early dippers are trying to get their picture in the news.
See you around 1pm.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Hamilton Spectator

Polar bear swimmers face icy water with warm hearts
(Dec 31, 2005)
Brave Hamiltonians will once again take the plunge.

This year, Hamilton's Good Shepherd Centre will benefit from the foolhardy swimmers as participants and spectators are asked to donate canned goods. Cans will be collected from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and the polar bear swimmers dive in at 12 p.m.

About 60 to 80 people are expected to take a chilly dip during the annual polar bear swim, depending on the weather. This year looks promising, with a high around zero degrees.

The dip will take place tomorrow at Van Wagner's Beach, behind Hutch's Dingley Dell restaurant, where lucky spectators can expect an eyeful of outlandish outfits. Last year 63-year-old Paul Nurmi, a veteran of the swim, took the plunge in only a thong and top hat.

Other polar bear swims include Oakville, the area's largest, with about 500 swimmers. Prizes for craziest costumes and live music make the annual dip a must-attend event for 5,000 spectators every year. Last year, the event raised $60,000 for tsunami relief efforts. This year the organizers hope to raise $35,000, with the money going toward World Vision Canada's effort to provide clean water and irrigation. The event will be held at Coronation Park and the swim starts at 2 p.m.

The Port Dover swim may not be the biggest, but it sure is one of the coldest. Participants often have to take turns doing their swim in a swath of lake cut out of a huge shelf of ice. The Port Dover swim begins at 1 p.m. on the main beach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Printed with full permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Len Simmons

Sep 30, 2005
St. Thomas, Ontario
Yea I just check with the 2nd officer of our club, it looks like we will be parking the bikes. There could be some die harts, but I won’t be one of them, I wouldn’t make it out of the driveway. the next one is only a year away.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I took alot of pictures today, but I can only post a few. There were 123 registered swimmers and it wasn't as cold as past years, a big sign near the path show the lake water temperature as being only around 34F. Still too cold for me for a dip, you got a chill though watching the many waiting in their bathing suits on the snow covered beach for 1pm while I had my coat on. As you can see the attached pictures, the snow had melted on the lower side of the beach.
Thanks to all the great work done by Eric and the rest of this event's organizers, also thanks to Rick Creechan from Hutch's on the Beach. :tbu:
Proceeds went to local charities.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Swimmers plunge into frigid new year

Even the polar bears probably wonder why these strange furless creatures dive into freezing water
By Barb Mckay
The Hamilton Spectator(Jan 3, 2006)
It was a sight to behold. A pack of 146 swimmers dressed in swimsuits or long johns and one man wearing only a festive thong dashed excitedly into the frigid waters of Lake Ontario.

As quickly as they went in, the group of shivering, shrieking dippers splashed through icy waves back onto the snow-covered sands of Van Wagners Beach. The water was just 2 C.

"I would have stayed in longer, but I felt my body was giving out," said 58-year-old Burlington resident Cathy Baxter, who took part in the annual Polar Bear Splash for the first time with her 21-year-old daughter Claire.

"All summer long, that horrible summer, I was dreaming of swimming in the winter."

The annual New Year's Day dip is organized by the East Hamilton Optimist Club, Hutch's on the Beach and Confederation Park, and has run since the 1930s. Funds are raised annually for local causes. This year, proceeds from a raffle will benefit Good Shepherd's Food Share program, the McMaster Children's Hospital telethon and Optimist Club programs.

The event draws enthusiasts of all ages from as far away as the United States. Hamiltonian Mark Cameron has jumped into the chilly water three years consecutively. This year was his 11-year-old daughter Nicole's second dip.

"We're making it a family tradition," Cameron said.

"We started it on a whim. We came down one year and watched and decided, let's do it. We think it's a great way to start the year. It's really cool."

The family rule is that each swimmer must submerge their entire body before they get back on land.

"You can't just run in to your knees and run back out," Cameron said.

Nicole said that last year she ran in too far and dropped into deep water. Her father had to grab her hand and pull her back. She took in a mouthful of water and was sick. But she did win a basketball for her effort.

This year, Nicole put her hand over her mouth when she jumped in.

"This year was colder than last year," she said as she wrapped a towel around her shivering body. Her teeth chattered.

"I was startled and my feet started to go numb."

Hamiltonian Kent Parkinson stayed in the water for five minutes, the longest of the group. Last year he stayed in for 18 and a half minutes but, for safety reasons, organizers wouldn't allow it this year.

"Isn't hypothermia supposed to set in after three minutes?" he joked as he stood dripping under a towel bearing a Canadian flag. He sipped on a cup of steaming coffee. This was his seventh year to do the dip.

Parkinson said he stands out in the cold in his swimsuit for at least a half an hour to prepare his body for the shock.

He sees many of the other swimmers bundled up in blankets and jackets up until the countdown to the dip and they aren't prepared for the icy impact on their bodies.

"It really is painful," he said. He doesn't know why he does the annual polar dip but he doesn't plan on quitting any time soon.

In Oakville, the annual Courage Brothers' Polar Bear Dip for World Vision drew more than 400 dippers from around the Toronto area and about 5,000 spectators.

The dip raised more than $35,000 -- this year's goal -- and will be used to help supply fresh water in Kenya's Kajiado District. The event started in 1985 with five dippers and has so far raised more than $240,000.

"It's been great," said Peter Turkington, who helped organize the event and jumped into the lake himself for the first time.

"We had one guy who is so dedicated he was in Hong Kong and flew back just for the swim."

bmckay@thespec.com

905-526-4629

Photo#1- Cathie Coward, the Hamilton Spectator
Swimmers make a beeline for warm clothing after splashing out of Lake Ontario during the annual Polar Bear Splash near Hutch's Restaurant. Close to 150 registered for the event and Hamilton's Good Shepherd Centres collected canned goods and donations from the participants.

Photo#2- Forum photo, Beach Rescue and event organizer Eric. :tbu:

Posted with full permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Top Bottom