Polar Bear Swim

Ski_Adventurer

Dec 29, 2007
Good Day,

I've been searching online, but unable to determine if there is a Polar Bear swim in Hamilton. I know there is one at Corination Park in Oakville, but I was hoping there might be something more local.

If any know of any details of something in Hamilton please post the information.

Thanks and have a Great New Year.

Brad

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi Brad;
Thanks for joining the site.
There is a swim every year over at Confederation Park behind Hutch's, I didn't attend last year because it was too nice a day to bother (Being News Eve the night before had nothing to do with it lol). I don't think anyone was worried about getting cold.
Just in case someone is new to this, it is held every News Years Day, I will post a time.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I checked with the person who runs the event, Eric tells me it will be the same as in past years.
Registration starts at 11am and splash time is at 1pm.
Hutch's will be open if you want food/drinks and restrooms if needed.

Dave B

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton
This will be my first year doing this. How does the whole registration process work? Are there any requirements? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for a first timer?

Dave

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Ok there Scott I will bring lawn chairs, I might be blonde but dam that water is cold.lol

If the seadoo was not stored so far away I would drag it out.

My sister did it back in the late 60's no one in the family has done it since.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It was a cold, snowy today and the waves on the lake were the highest I have ever seen them for a Polar Bear swim. Hamilton Beach Rescue were on hand in high numbers to make sure everyone was safe.

There seemed to be a lot more spectators this year and congrats to the organizer (Eric) for a job well done.
I did take a few hundred pictures but my camera didn't like it out in the cold as not many turn out very well, I have attached a few.

If anyone has a picture to add, please do or send it in and I will post it for you.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Les;
I combined your post with this thread just to keep all in one spot.
Was that second pic from yesterday???

I did see the dog and pony show.:beer:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Polar bear plunge family affair

Dana Brown
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 2, 2008)
A little bit of winter bluster wasn't enough to keep these polar bears out of the water this year.

More than 100 brave dippers, clad in bikinis, swim trunks and costumes, took the plunge at Confederation Park yesterday afternoon, despite a nipping wind that made the air feel very chilly.

"This year we wanted to bail out, but no one wanted to be chicken," said second-time dipper Melissa Hofmann.

The 24-year-old Hamilton woman took the dip with two friends and said it gave her the worst ice cream headache she's ever had.

Despite what felt like cooler weather this year, East Hamilton Optimist Club president Eriks Taube said the water was actually the same temperature as last year -- just below 3 C.

"It's not really colder," he said. "It's windier."

Taube said 125 people registered for the plunge, which he noted has become more of a family event.

"Now you (see) kids in there as young as seven or eight years old."

Jennifer Rainville, 38, brought her four daughters and a family friend for the dip. Her daughters range in age from six to 12 and Rainville said she has two more kids at home who aren't old enough to say they want to join the fun.

It's their decision to go in, she said.

Taube pegged the turnout to be anywhere from 900 to 1,200 people, mostly spectators who came and went.

He said the beach rescue crew was also on hand to ensure safety at the event.

Jerry Grymeck trekked from Toronto to plunge in Hamilton. The 31-year-old has been doing the annual event with two friends for five or six years, and last year they decided to come with a theme -- The Fighting Bravehearts.

So the three were on the snowy sand with their faces painted and wearing what appeared to be homemade kilts.

Grymeck estimated his stay in the water to be about half a second.

"You know what? It's not that bad," he said afterward.

Hamilton resident and third-time dipper Mark Garner, 35, has a routine when he takes the plunge.

He runs out as far as he can, then dives under the water and swims as far as he can. By the time he pops up, most of the dippers are out of the water.

His total lake time? A whopping 30 seconds. And he wears a small neoprene cowboy hat while doing it.

"If you go in slow, you can't do it," he said, adding that you just have to go for it.

In addition to ringing in the new year, the dip also raises money for the McMaster Children's Hospital and the East Hamilton Optimist Club.

dbrown@thespec.com

905-526-4629

John Rennison, the Hamilton Spectator
Jennifer Rainville, of Stoney Creek, emerges from a quick dip in Lake Ontario yesterday at a Confederation Park polar bear swim to kick off 2008.

Top Bottom