Prime Minister to attend Dieppe memorial

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permissionfrom the Hamilton Spectator

The Hamilton Spectator

Prime Minister Stephen Harper will attend the Dieppe memorial service in Hamilton tomorrow.

The leader’s office called local organizers this morning to confirm Harper will make a special appearance at 11 a.m. at the commemorative service at the Dieppe Veterans’ Memorial Park on Beach Boulevard. He plans to lay a wreath.

“I’m impressed. It’s a great honour,” said organizer Jim Forsyth. “The veterans will be impressed.”

Tomorrow marks the 66th anniversary of the raid on Dieppe during the Second World War.

Harper is in Hamilton tomorrow to make an announcement at the Hamilton General Hospital. Details of the 10 a.m. press conference have not be released.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger asked Harper to rearrange his schedule in order to attend the Dieppe memorial.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Harper to attend Dieppe memorial in Hamilton

By Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator
When the veterans arrive at Hamilton’s Dieppe memorial tomorrow morning, organizer Jim Forsyth expects their buttons will be a little shinier in honour of a special guest.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper rearranged his planned whirlwind tour of southwestern Ontario Tuesday to be on hand for the ceremony commemorating the 66th anniversary of the Dieppe raid.
“It’s a great honour,” said Forsyth. “The veterans will be impressed.”
Before the service, Harper will be at the Hamilton General Hospital with Industry Minister Jim Prentice and local MPs for a funding announcement. His office declined to release advance details.
Harper is scheduled to tour a construction site at the hospital. Hamilton Health Sciences has two major projects on the go: a regional rehabilitation centre and the David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute.
Mayor Fred Eisenberger asked the prime minister’s office to reschedule the press conference after noticing the conflict with the Dieppe memorial.
Forsyth said Harper’s attendance won’t change the ceremony, except for seating arrangements.
“He’ll get the number one seat now.”

nmacintyre@thespec.com
905-526-3299

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The Dieppe service was a packed house today, mostly because of the Prime Minister's visit. Last year I could take a picture from just about anywhere I wanted, not this year.
I counted eight vets from the Dieppe landing in attendance, which is pretty good considering there are only ten left across Canada. Also in attendance were MP Dave Christopherson, MP Wayne Marston, MPP Andrea Horwath, MPP Paul Miller, Mayor Fred and Councillor Bob Brattina. Past Mayor Bob Wade was present and was Mayor for the City of Hamilton when Dieppe Park was built.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
curious - with all of those politicians there - how was the air quality today???
I know this one, lots of hot air!:2peace:

Acually there some there today who do a good job for our community and one who use to(She maybe our next Premier). But I hear ya.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
War memorial a great honour for Hamiltonians

Patricia Jaggard
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton
(Aug 23, 2008)
Re: 'Out of respect, Harper stays silent; Dieppe park more poignant than words' (Aug. 20)

Hamilton is honoured to have the Dieppe Veterans' Memorial Park in one of its oldest and most historical areas, the Hamilton beach community. We are grateful to honour the veterans and those who died for our freedom, not only on Remembrance Day, Nov. 11, but for the past few years at the annual Dieppe war memorial ceremony to honour the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry veterans and the Hamiltonians who died in Dieppe on Aug. 19, 1942. This year's ceremony was attended by many of our elected politicians, including Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

It is wonderful the memorial is open to the public to see every day of the year.

Top Bottom