Raising the Towers.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This picture was taken back in 1959 and shows Hydro crews raising the towers so that the new roads had proper clearance from the power lines. This tower is located just off the Beach near Woodward and Burlington Street and you can see National Slag in the background. Member Crawfish was working as a construction surveyor when he took this picture. Thanks again to Crawfish for another great pic.

054-Raising the tower by 20 ft.jpg

JodithPWorld

Jun 1, 2006
Thornhill, Ontario
Pics!

Yes I saw this one in the gallery. I'm trying to place where that tower is (or was). It appears to be the line that goes off towards Highway 20, but I thought those were installed later in the 60s. I am assuming that this pic would be facing the lake/QEW from about where Woodward meets just south of Burlington Street today.

I love these pics.

:celebrate

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
JodithPWorld said:
Yes I saw this one in the gallery. I'm trying to place where that tower is (or was). It appears to be the line that goes off towards Highway 20, but I thought those were installed later in the 60s. I am assuming that this pic would be facing the lake/QEW from about where Woodward meets just south of Burlington Street today.

I love these pics.

:celebrate
Sorry I don't know when the towers were installed, but yes you have the location correct. Crews are now working in the same area again making room for the soon to be completed expressway.

Top Bottom