RIP Charlie Stewart

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
STEWART, Charles William Peacefully passed away on Monday, March 14, 2011 in his 86th year. Devoted husband of Janet of 61 years. Loving father of William (Cathy) and Michael (Sharon). Cherished grandfather of Paula, Scott, Tiana and Ian. Dear brother of Dorothy Mount (Jim) and the late Ruth Hagen (Roy). Will be missed by many nieces and nephews. Charles was a proud member of Hamilton Beach Fire Department and Hamilton Beach Rescue Unit. He was also the owner of Stewart's Esso Station Hamilton Beach and a retired employee of Dofasco. Friends will be received at the DONALD V. BROWN FUNERAL HOME , 36 Lake Avenue Dr., Stoney Creek on Thursday, March 17 from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral Service will be held in the Funeral Home Chapel on Friday, March 18, 2011 at 10 a.m. Interment Woodland Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be greatly appreciated by the family. We will miss your smile and quick humour.

C.Stewart.jpg

C.Stewart1.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I stopped by the Rescue Unit hall today where everyone was having a drink to Charlie, the Dean of Information told me that Charlie went to work at Dofasco after selling the ESSO station and yes, he was in the Security Dept.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I thought his name and pic looked familiar. A good man he was. I never had any problems with him unlike some I did.

Islander

Apr 28, 2008
Charlie was a nice guy, gave my brother Jim his first job pumping gas at the Esso station where he earned the nick name "Speedy" because of his attempts to run out and serve customers even though he was physically handicapped. Charlie showed up at my brothers funeral in 2006...a very nice man, sad to hear he is gone.
Regards
Ross Somerville

Esso2.jpg

File0142.jpg

Islander

Apr 28, 2008
Not sure who provided that picture of Charlie Stewart and his buddies but the background I am sure is where my grandfather lived at 195 Beach Blvd and to the left is Ronald's house. From that angle the picture must have been taken in front of Dalzell's store. Long before my time but if someone recognises the picture they would know.
Cheers
Ross Somerville

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Ross;
That picture was given to me by Charlie, he was another of the older crowd who helped out with old pictures of the Beach, yes he was a very nice guy.
I have attached another from him, but I can't tell if it is him in the picture, I have a few more of the ESSO station but I don't know who the people are in them.
File0110.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't know car that would be? I see in the backgroud that they have the car parked in park with swings. Well before my time, I don't recall a park in that area.

Islander

Apr 28, 2008
Scott; what a great photo of those 3 guys and that car. Not sure but that looks like the Ford V8 insignia on the hub cap so that coupe would have been a rocket in its day. Those 3 guys look like "east end bill collectors"..great stuff.
Cheers Ross Somerville

Top Bottom