The Beach, 25 Years Ago

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Here is a glimpse of the Beach almost a quarter of a century ago. Some of the houses have stayed the same, some are a lot nicer, a few not so nice and many are just not around anymore. Still have many pics to add, then I will try to sort them by the address. A big thank you to Moira Neil who sent in the pictures. :hail: Link added below if needed.

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/gallery3/Beach-Houses-1980

If any homeowner has an issue with anyone of these posted pictures, please let me know and I will remove it.
No reason needed. :D

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
Those pictures of homes and businesses in 1980 are fantastic, not just for there quality, or their number, but for the fact that someone once made the effort to make this record of the community! What was the project all about? Were they real estate photos? I don't think I know Moira Neil, but I'd like to, and I'd like to hear the story about how these pictures came to be made, and by who, and why.
On another matter, I'd like to upload a couple of photos I made Sunday of the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group area on Killarney, but I don't know how. They are rather large, because of the high resolution, but you are free to resize them as needed.
Personally, besides working for awhile in the BCLG area I made my annual tour of the beach strip, meeting old friends I haven't seen for years, seeing which houses have been torn down or are being remodeled, where new houses are going up, and who has moved to other locations on the Beach, and sadly, who has passed away recently. (I once knew Roy Dean well as a friend and a co-leader in the 25th Sea Scouts Port Toop, but hadn't heard of his passing at the time.)
Happily, more good news than bad.
I even got myself invited into my old home (#466, 1937 - 1953) which is about to be torn down to make room for the new condo project "across from the old playground". That really brought back memories more than 50 years old, but still fresh, and now fresher!
Keep up the good work!
Fred Briggs

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Fred Briggs said:
I don't think I know Moira Neil, but I'd like to, and I'd like to hear the story about how these pictures came to be made, and by who, and why.
On another matter, I'd like to upload a couple of photos I made Sunday of the Beach Canal Lighthouse Group area on Killarney, but I don't know how. They are rather large, because of the high resolution, but you are free to resize them as needed.
I also don't know Moira, all those pictures were loaned to Gwen Hall and then she passed them my way. Thats where most of the site pics come from. (Thanks Gwen)
If you have some lighthouse pics to share, you can mail them to me at <hbcf@cogeco.ca> and I will have them scaled down to the correct posting size. (Or I will have someone do it as time is very limited for me) I will send them back and you can post them in the Lighthouse section (They have their own section) or in the Garage Sale thread under your name. If you need help posting, let me know or I will do it for you.
Scotto

BeckyS

May 29, 2005
Fred Briggs said:
I even got myself invited into my old home (#466, 1937 - 1953) which is about to be torn down to make room for the new condo project "across from the old playground". That really brought back memories more than 50 years old, but still fresh, and now fresher!
Keep up the good work!
Fred Briggs
Hi Fred! I will soon be moving into #464. It was my grandparents' house. Unfortunately, Grandma (Audrey Simmons) recently passed away. If anyone is interested, we're holding a memorial service at the Beach Rescue Unit on Friday, June 3rd, at 11am.

Becky

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Becky:
I'm very sorry to hear that Audrey passed away. I'm glad you let us know. My wife and I will be at the Memorial Service.
The Beach people are so lucky to have the the Rescue Unit! It's about the only place left on the Beach for a public gathering, and Dynes just doesn't seem right for a meeting of this sort! Your Grandfather, Walt, was a member of the Beach Rescue Unit, and before that, its predecessor, The Burlington Beach Volunteer Fire Department. They were both very good people.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
I certainly do, and I bet I remember you, too, but not under the name moondoogie!
I think it was 1966, wasn't it, and I've still got the 8mm movie I shot then (Opeongo River Rats), and I'll be using a bit of it in my video when I finally finish it! You can see a bit about that project at http://beachvideo.info, and you can find my phone number on that page, You can also email me from that web site (the revolving "@" sign under "Hamilton Beach Community Forum") and I'll be looking forward to hearing from you again!

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
No, Roy (I assume), the one in Algonquin Park, led by Richard Barnes and I was up the Opeonga River and we camped at the base of a waterfall, in 1966. The following year, '67, we went to Ottawa and to Expo '67 in Montreal. And that was my last year with the 25th (Port Troop) Richard took over that September.
The Ragged Falls trip was earlier. I was working shifts at that time and couldn't get the time off to go. And from what I heard, it was just as well as far as I was concerned. I think that was the year that they had to portage up over Ragged Falls, with everything covered with ice from the spray. Very uncomfortable! For me, MISERY! NOW we can laugh!

Top Bottom