The Last Locomotive.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I don't remember the old steam locomotives that use to travel the railway tracks on the Beach, but for those that do, here is a picture of the last one to use the Beach. Thanks to Beach resident Ken K. for sending this picture in. :tbu:

Attachments

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I remember the steam locomotives and I loved watching them. We used to risk our lives by crossing the tracks to or from the beach before being cut off by a long freight train. Sometimes they would have to stop to wait for the swing bridge and we would clamber up the car ladders. Some brave (crazy) souls actually rode the cars after the train started to roll.None of my friends ever suffered an injury. I also remember putting pennies on the tracks and recovering them after the train had passed.
There was usually a train at night and although we lived very close to the tracks, it was rare that we heard it but if we had overnight guests, they sure heard it! There was a whistle sign not too far away and the drivers usually respected it.
I wonder when the last steam engine crossed over the beach?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Crawfish said:
I wonder when the last steam engine crossed over the beach?
Crawfish; :wavey:
Thanks for the history, I use to put pennies on the track too, they would flatten out to the size of a silver dollar.
There wasn't very many trains when I lived on the lakeside, then they stopped altogether and the track were removed from the Beach and the Lift Bridge. The Lift Bridge then opened up to four lanes.
We should be able to find out somehow when the last loco went by.
Scotto.

Top Bottom