Ticks

Sonja

Apr 28, 2010
The blue castle
Just a note to all dog walkers, we have found about 5 ticks on our dogs from walking along the path. They tend to be in tall grass. To remove a tick, take a tweeser and grasp the head of the tick and pull it out without twisting it. They have a hard shell and are difficult to kill and may carry Lyme disease. Please check you dog after walking them. The ticks can be found around the ears, between toes and on less furry areas or crawling on the fur.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just a note to all dog walkers, we have found about 5 ticks on our dogs from walking along the path. They tend to be in tall grass. To remove a tick, take a tweeser and grasp the head of the tick and pull it out without twisting it. They have a hard shell and are difficult to kill and may carry Lyme disease. Please check you dog after walking them. The ticks can be found around the ears, between toes and on less furry areas or crawling on the fur.
Thanks for the heads up Sonja, we must have deer visiting the along the beach.
Yes check your pets and yourself when walking away from the Path.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Dog ticks are different then deer ticks. Only deer ticks are carriers of lyme disease. Last year my vet told me the only place so far in southern ontario where the lyme disease is present is at long point. My dog had 2 on her last year. And none of my other dogs ever had them before. So I keep my dog on the insect control. That also comes down to why are they becoming such a big problem.

Last edited:

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I watched Nature of Things last night and it was very interesting about ticks and lyme disease. And it shows how much it's spreading all over. Here is the link if anyone wants to watch the full version.

I've also enclosed an interesting link on insects. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page you can see the types of insects. Plus at the lower right it shows "what is this pest" where people can send in pics of an insect they don't know. It makes one wonder what new species we might get into this area when winters are getting shorter and not as cold.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes/ticked-off-the-mystery-of-lyme-disease

http://pestcontrolcanada.com/index.htm

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
In this article it shows deer ticks in the Wainfleet Bog which isn't all that far from us. Plus look how many deer we have in our areas too. And it's usually just a matter of time before things spread around.

"Locations with established blacklegged tick populations infected with the Lyme disease agent, include: Long Point Provincial Park, Turkey Point Provincial Park, Rondeau Provincial Park, Point Pelee National Park, Prince Edward Point National Wildlife Area, Wainfleet Bog Conservation Area, and in the St. Lawrence Islands National Park area."

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/disease/lyme.aspx

Top Bottom