US. Steel Community Liaison Committee

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hi , Friends and neighbors.

F.Y.I.

Yesterday afternoon I’ve attended the US. Steel Community Liaison Committee (USS. CLC.)

I sit on as representative for our beach blvd. neighborhood.

Before the meeting started we recognized the sudden passing this summer

of Brian McCarry from McMaster University.He was a scientist/educator environmentalist.

He sat on this committee from the beginning and shared a wealth of research with many of us over the years. He also sat on many other groups including Chair to Clean Air Hamilton

Chair to the Hamilton Air Monitoring Network (H.A.R.M.).Involved in various capacity with the Bay Area Restoration Council (RAP). Was named Enviromentalist of the year 2005.

He will be missed by all of Hamilton for his contribution in the health and environmental fields.

Presentation by John Hall concerning the different projects by (RAP) ,

The Bay Area Restoration Group is contributing to improving the Watershed quality going into the Bay and Lake Ontario. Work in Cootes paradise, have brought back the Bald Eagle to the area,for the first time in decades. They have started nesting and producing offsprings.
Re-intoduction of Walley fish has proven successful also.
Introduction of phosphates over the years into our surrounding watershed has been reduced by 50%, still room for improvement in that area.

The upgrades at both the Hamilton Woodward Water treatment plants and Burlington City own water treatment plant will eventually improve water
quality going into the bay & lake Ontario.

John also reported that in partnership with the city of Hamilton and the city of Burlington and many groups and higher level of government, the Randal Reef cold tar deposit located in the bay will be incapsulated starting in 2014. This contaminant has been accumulated over many decades dues to heavy industry discharges.

U.S. Steel reported on their ongoing improvements to the coke oven process and water processing plant at their facilities. These upgrades contribute to better air & water quality that have steadily improved according to monitoring of these returned into the environment.

A public open house for the proposal by USS for alternative emissions standard

Will be held on16th Sept 2013 . Location : The Hamilton Yacht Club

Time: 6pm

Ed Nowlan

Beach Council
Chair.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This message was sent in by Councillor Collins

Hi Scott, I bumped into someone at Lowes who resided on the Beach. They asked about US Steel’s contribution to the Randle Reef project and how that might be affected by the recent court decision. I’ve inquired with City staff, and they’ve advised of the following. I informed the resident that I would send along to you to be posted on the Beach Community website (when time permits).

Thanks. Chad

The total USS Randle Reef project contribution modified in 2015 now reflects provision of Raw Steel and pre-payment of fabrication costs. The value of this contribution remains at $14M. Environment Canada confirms that the terms of the amending agreement have largely been fulfilled at this time to secure the US Steel contribution to the Project.

USS previously provided all of the raw steel coils for the project. Environment Canada confirmed for me today that earlier this year they also received confirmation of the USS pre-payment for steel processing from the roll forming companies.

Based on this progress, the USS project contribution should therefore be immune from their situation with the CCAA.

Top Bottom