The Railroad’s and Radial’s Beach Stops

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
An E-mail from today.

Good morning;

Do you have any information on the old 'stations': where they were located, etc.?

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
hamiltonbeachcommunity.com
If we're not talking about gas stations, it must be the other kind of station.
There were no stations with buildings. like the Radial Terminal, later the Bus Terminal, uptown in Hamilton.
The old Hamilton Northwestern Railway had 4 stops on the Beach. I understand that they were called stations, but I don't think that any of them even had platforms. The first one was where the railroad entered the Beach, the second was at Dynes Hotel, the third was at Elsinore, and the fourth was at the Ocean House, almost at the canal.
The railroad stopped providing local service, and local stops, shortly after the Radial Railway came to the Beach. It made several stops along the Beach, all of which were called Stations. When the Radial Line withdrew from the Beach and buses replaced their cars, the buses stopped at the same spots, and the Station numbers were kept.
I know that in the 40's there were Stations 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, and 16. Some people might recall some that I don't, and I can't argue with them. I suspect that 1 and maybe 2 were before the cars reached the Beach. I don't know if there was ever a 3 on the Beach. Station 4 was at Huey Dalzell's store, 5 was at the little convenience store (but they weren't called that then) next to the Texaco Station a little south of the school, and 6 was just north of the school about where the new Shutters business stands now.
I never got on or off a bus further north of Station 6, so I don't know exactly where the others were, but when you asked somewhere where he lived he would say "near Station 8" or "at Station 12", and that was always close enough for me! I'm sure there are many people still on the beach who could give you exact information on the location of those north of 6.
I don't know if there were once Stations 7, 11, 13, 15, etc., and they were later dropped, or if they were never assigned, to leave room for future growth, the way Interchanges on our highways are numbered now, leaving room for more interchanges to be added later between the present ones.
I'm sorry I could be more helpful on this, and I look forward to hearing more details from those who do know!

Fred

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Fred;
Just so I get it right, before the railway left there were four stops on the lakeside, then numbers were assigned to stations all on the bayside??

I will have to make a stop at the Library and bother Margret again. There must be some old Spec articles on this, but you never know what you can find there.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Yes, sort of, I guess. The Hamilton Northwestern Railroad, later to become the Grand Trunk and then the CNR, made four stops on the tracks on the lake side of most of the houses on the beach.
Later, when the Radial Railway came to the Beach, the Radial tracks ran along the lake side of the road, on what became known as the "dirt strip" after the tracks were taken up. Even before the Radial tracks were taken up, when the bus service replaced the Radial Railway service, the buses ran on the road (Beach Blvd by that time) pulling off the road onto the lake side of the road to stop when travellng north, and pulling over on the bay side when they were tavelling south.
I only remember Bus Stop Signs on the bay side when I was a child. The north bound buses stopped opposite those signs on the lake side, and there may have been bus stop signs on the lake side too, but I don't remember them because only took the bus into Hamilton (and home), and when I was just going to Burlington I usually walked.
I don't think the school buses to Saltfleet High School in Stoney Creek stopped at every bus "station" as I remember that I got the school bus at Station 6, but caught the Canada Coach Line bus into Hamilton at Station 5 because I lived a little bit closer to Station 5 than to Station 6.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I have had a couple more items come my way concerning the old stations on the Beach. From the book Waterfowl Decoys of Southwestern Ontario and with permission from the author, attached is a map which shows the general vicinity where all the stations were located. Thanks to Paul Brisco

Also attached is a ticket from the electric railway that use to stop at the Stations, thanks to member Crawfish for sending it in.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Great Stuff, scotto! Thanks to both Paul and Crawfish. Every little detail that is added to the big picture helps to reconstruct the past!
Thanks Fred, there wasn't much info on this at the Library, a couple of very old articles that refer to the Stations and one picture of Station 12 (attached)Hopefully something more will surface.

Attachments

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Recently, I was reading a little book called "The Sand Strip" by Dorothy Turcotte. Under miscellaneous reminiscences there is a list of 17 radial stations or stops across the beach. Could these be the "stations" in question? I remember station 14 (I lived there) It was the cut off point for staying at school for lunchtime. Only children who lived past 14 could stay at school, even in winter.

Fred Briggs

Beach History Moderator
May 27, 2004
Stoney Creek
Yep, that's exactly what they were looking for. Amazing that it took someone this long to come up with it. I bet most of us have a copy of this book -- I have 2 -- one signed by Dorothy Turcotte and the other by Alderman Fred Eisenberger -- and I'm not name dropping, I'm showing how long I've had them! And I didn't know that list was in there! The only questions left now is Was there ever a Station 1 somewhere out on Beach Road on the way to Hamilton? I'm pretty sure that Station 3 was at Hugh Dalzell's store, and I remember the bus stopping right in front of the store. The store is long gone but there is still a place for the bus to pull over to let people on and off in front of the house they built on his old lot! And thanks for that info about the limit for eating at the school. I never knew that because it didn't mean much to me. I lived almost right across from the school and I was late twice a day -- one in the morning and once after lunch!

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Glad to be of help. That book has a lot of interesting info in it. If you enlarge the photo of the electric train ticket that Scotto posted you can see a stop on Beach Road listed but it is not numbered.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Recently, I was reading a little book called "The Sand Strip" by Dorothy Turcotte. Under miscellaneous reminiscences there is a list of 17 radial stations or stops across the beach. Could these be the "stations" in question? I remember station 14 (I lived there) It was the cut off point for staying at school for lunchtime. Only children who lived past 14 could stay at school, even in winter.
I'm still trying to find one my copies of "The Sand Strip", may have to borrow one from the library.
My question to Mormac, where was station 14??
I lived close to Manor Ave in my younger days (a long time ago) and some of the old bus stop signs had the station number posted on it and I thought it was 13, but it's been a long time and I could be wrong. Wish I took a picture.
Thanks Mormac!

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Station 14 was the "castle" owned by Bud Cahill or just a little past that. I remember going across the road and up about 1/4 block toward canal to catch the bus. There is a picture of it on page 27 then known as the Murton house. I lived on the third floor and still remember watching huricane Hazel from the front window.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
Stations

just to add a little bit more here on the stations...my Dad often referred to stations when he was talking about a particular part of the Beach. Our store (Ryan's) was station 6, Ernie's was at station 9. The newspaper article in 1927 talking about my uncle's drowning described his home on Bayside being at Dynes station. Other stations mentioned in that article were station 8 at Waverly Avenue (re-named to something else) and station 10 at Dunravin and Sixth Avenue area.

Paul Grimwood

Aug 2, 2010
Can anyone confirm the actual site of Elsinore, Senator Sanford's provate hospital on the Beach? When it was opened in June 1890, guests were taken by a private train to 'Church Crossing', and walked from there.

I believe that Elsinore closed in 1922, but I may be wrong in this.

The Sanford's also owned at least one cottage at the beach, one named Green Gables. I have the exact address of that one somewhere, but it no longer exists.

Paul Grimwood
Ancaster

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Afraid I don't know anything about these issues. Hopefully someone can answer your questions. :)

And welcome to the board. :)

Top Bottom