Beach Blvd. up and coming? How do you feel?

Mormac

May 1, 2006
I received an advertisement, in the mail, today from Branthaven for the new townhouses on the beach. Are all those buildings going in the Dynes lot or Green Gables? Sardine City!! I remember when they subdivided the old Frost property and added two more houses. Everyone thought that was terrible and now look what is happening. When do they plan to pave between the path and the shoreline that space would make a terrific parking lot for all these new townhomes. I too don't miss the odors and soot but I sure do miss the OLD beach. Progress stinks!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I received an advertisement, in the mail, today from Branthaven for the new townhouses on the beach. Are all those buildings going in the Dynes lot or Green Gables? Sardine City!! I remember when they subdivided the old Frost property and added two more houses. Everyone thought that was terrible and now look what is happening. When do they plan to pave between the path and the shoreline that space would make a terrific parking lot for all these new townhomes. I too don't miss the odors and soot but I sure do miss the OLD beach. Progress stinks!
I received that flyer as well, they are building these ones on the Dynes property. This includes the old gas station that was there and house that is north of the old Dynes.
The Frost property??? Would you please lets us know where that is (was).

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
I am new to the beach as well. We purchased a very old home and have plans to renovate it. Yes, it is an up and coming community. That's why we bought!!!!!! We could have bought anywhere in Hamilton - in fact, we looked at properties with twice the house for much less the price. But we chose here. We have no intention of tearing our house down for a Mcmansion. We want to restore it to it's former glory.

Having said that:

I have no problem whatsoever with the razing of some of the old buildings near the lift bridge. The Green Gables property, while some may have warm and fuzzy memories of it, was irreparable from the looks of it. The Dynes - sad to see it go. Now THAT something could have been made of it. But some of the houses, seriously, they look like they are falling down.

Character? I go for it. Decrepit?? Absolutely not.

My assessment, as well, went up over $60,000. We expected this. How could you not.

Do I feel bad for those who cannot afford the taxes? Absolutely. But I don't think the progress is all bad.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The two buildings on the Green Gables property will be gone, I'm surprised that they are still there.
And there are a few other down here that are in the same shape, with taxes the way they are, I can't see those staying for too much longer.
Then our taxes will go up again.

I was talking to one resident tonight, his assessment went up $240,000. That is just plain obscene.

Thanks for choosing our community.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
The Frost house, I don't remember the address but it was (and may still be) a white house set back on it's property (hard to see from the street) It was on the lake side about half way between Ernie's store and the school. It had a big black iron fence with stone pillars. It later had two brick houses added closer to the road.

Wow - this is quite an intense Thread. I'm proud I started it!
There are always pro's and con's about urbanization, and all we can do is hope that the builders are kind enough to take into consideration the heritage of the strip.
Things cant stay the same forever unfortunatly. I have seen and met many of the home buyers from both the Andrin community and the Branthaven community and it is a nice mix of retiries, empty nesters and young couples starting out. I think that all of these individuals respect and love the heritage that still exists within the community and will fight to help preserve it.
I dont know why we cant preserve the heritage and authenticity of the strip but at the same time give it new life.
I'm sad that no one sees this in any kind of positive light.
I believe there is a designated heritage district from Fourth Ave to the Canal. It sure doesn't look like the builders are taking that into consideration. Soon there will be more newer development than older homes and the older homes will look out of place. I find it hard to see the positive light when we were told many years ago how things were to be and this has not panned out. We can preserve the heritage and authenticity of the strip but the city lets these developers build whatever they want. Cram them in like sardines and charge taxes. The city sees a money grab and will exploit it.
It is great to see new people buying and living down there but the cookie cutter homes are ruining it.

The two buildings on the Green Gables property will be gone, I'm surprised that they are still there.
And there are a few other down here that are in the same shape, with taxes the way they are, I can't see those staying for too much longer.
Then our taxes will go up again.

I was talking to one resident tonight, his assessment went up $240,000. That is just plain obscene.

Thanks for choosing our community.
With all the additional property tax revenue, do you think the beach might get a newly paved road?:shocked:

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
I am new to the beach as well. We purchased a very old home and have plans to renovate it. Yes, it is an up and coming community. That's why we bought!!!!!! We could have bought anywhere in Hamilton - in fact, we looked at properties with twice the house for much less the price. But we chose here. We have no intention of tearing our house down for a Mcmansion. We want to restore it to it's former glory.

Having said that:

I have no problem whatsoever with the razing of some of the old buildings near the lift bridge. The Green Gables property, while some may have warm and fuzzy memories of it, was irreparable from the looks of it. The Dynes - sad to see it go. Now THAT something could have been made of it. But some of the houses, seriously, they look like they are falling down.

Character? I go for it. Decrepit?? Absolutely not.

My assessment, as well, went up over $60,000. We expected this. How could you not.

Do I feel bad for those who cannot afford the taxes? Absolutely. But I don't think the progress is all bad.
With regards to the properties down by the bridge being bought out, it's not only the old buildings that are going to be replaced. From what I have heard, the developers are interested in building right through the last few properties, which include Beach Marina, a business that has been down here for many years, as well as a house that was once a diner style restaurant many years ago. Anyways, regardless of the shape of these houses, I do not think they should be torn down and replaced with generic town homes and low rise buildings. I would be much happier if more people went your route and bought up an old house to renovate it, rather than completely replace it. Progression isn't something that can be avoided, but there are better ways than tearing everything down and creating a neighborhood that lacks any special characteristics.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
Yes, thanks for starting it!

Our taxes were relatively low here on the Beach as compared to many places in Hamilton until the sewers came in and even higher when the Path was built.
Every time a new house is built and/or sold, our taxes our taxes go up higher.
Some of these homes have very small front and back yards, it's all house.
If these huge homes which cost big dollars to build didn't get built, then our taxes would of stayed manageable.

The builders don't give a #@#* about us, it is all about money. A nice mix would of been single family dwellings, to me anyway.

I just recieved my assessment from the Province, my house just went up $60,000 and I live on a sidestreet (bayside), a friend of mine who lives on the lakeside had his go up $120,000. Hard to be postive when your are being forced to move from a place that you want to stay.

Sorry, I don't know how to quote only parts of the message!

Scott you're right, the builders only care about maximizing their profits, which is why they are bombarding us with these town homes. And no offense to anyone here who has purchased one, but I have seen the size of them, and they are nowhere near worth up to 500,000$. The builders are not only destroying the heritage of the beach but they are also exploiting the beauty that is left to attract people to pay absurd amounts for these small identical dwellings, meanwhile in time that is all that is going to left around here.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sorry, I don't know how to quote only parts of the message!
And you are a Moderator!!! Who let you do that???:)
Scott you're right, the builders only care about maximizing their profits, which is why they are bombarding us with these town homes. And no offense to anyone here who has purchased one, but I have seen the size of them, and they are nowhere near worth up to 500,000$. The builders are not only destroying the heritage of the beach but they are also exploiting the beauty that is left to attract people to pay absurd amounts for these small identical dwellings, meanwhile in time that is all that is going to left around here.

The new ones that are to be built at Green Gables will have some changes so they don't look exactly the same, also they will be staggered.
There will be path in the middle so that anyone can access the Trail, so some help to the beauty of the Beach.

We also have a Neighbourhood Plan which pushes for single family dwellings on most (if not all) of the empty lots that are left on the blvd. The sidestreets may have slightly different rules.
There are still commercial properties down here that in my opinion could be bought by a developer and cashed in on by high density housing.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I believe there is a designated heritage district from Fourth Ave to the Canal. It sure doesn't look like the builders are taking that into consideration. Soon there will be more newer development than older homes and the older homes will look out of place. I find it hard to see the positive light when we were told many years ago how things were to be and this has not panned out. We can preserve the heritage and authenticity of the strip but the city lets these developers build whatever they want. Cram them in like sardines and charge taxes. The city sees a money grab and will exploit it.
It is great to see new people buying and living down there but the cookie cutter homes are ruining it.
I believe you are correct, however the development that were done and have plans to be done are mostly on commercial property. The City's believes that(building townhouses) to be less of an impact to the community than if it were left as commercial. And again, there are more commercial properties down here. The developers also seem to be able to purchase single family homes beside these commercial lots and keep on going. I think that should be stopped, but money talks.

With all the additional property tax revenue, do you think the beach might get a newly paved road?:shocked:
All the money from the sale of the empty lots goes right back into our community and yes a new road is coming. The problem is that until all the new home are built, the road will be cut up so that the new homes can get sewer service. So why put in a new road if it is just going to be cut up again, it would be a waste of money, our money.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Now that I look at that property or properties, I guess that it being there for so long you don't really notice how open it use to be. The owners of one of the homes is in the process of building a new garage out front, so it will be a little more crowded and I know some of the neighbours are not happy about it, looks like it going to be real crowded down here.
To add to the problem we have landlords turning single fmily dwellings into three apartments, there are parking problems now and this will just get worse once all the lots get filled in.

I believe you are correct, however the development that were done and have plans to be done are mostly on commercial property. The City's believes that(building townhouses) to be less of an impact to the community than if it were left as commercial. And again, there are more commercial properties down here. The developers also seem to be able to purchase single family homes beside these commercial lots and keep on going. I think that should be stopped, but money talks.

All the money from the sale of the empty lots goes right back into our community and yes a new road is coming. The problem is that until all the new home are built, the road will be cut up so that the new homes can get sewer service. So why put in a new road if it is just going to be cut up again, it would be a waste of money, our money.
That could take 10+ years:eek:

varsr

Aug 18, 2007
As a new comer to the area I agree Roberta. I have been familiar with the area for many years and have enjoyed biking etc pre path days and now since the new path. I also hope that the community can move forward while still maintaining it's heritage and am very excited about becoming part of a thriving, unique community!

smr714

RIP July 1969-April, 2009
Mar 15, 2004
Beach Blvd.
www.neopets.com
There are one or two houses I can think of on this street that a simple reno will not suffice. I am not the only one wondering how some of these places are still standing or are safe.

I think having a mix of the old and new makes for an interesting community.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There are one or two houses I can think of on this street that a simple reno will not suffice. I am not the only one wondering how some of these places are still standing or are safe.

I think having a mix of the old and new makes for an interesting community.
There are a couple, maybe more. The two I am thinking of have no one living in them and rightly so. Given that they are empty, there has to come a time where paying (high) taxes and waiting for the biggest sale dollar have to meet. In other words, why loose money when you could sell now. It can't be rented out to at least break even, why not sell now?

RHammond

Oct 11, 2004
As a long time resident of the beach, I have to agree with Scott and a few others on this forum,that I'm not sure all this change is for the better. This is not a reflection on those who have bought at the Andrin or Dynes sites but on the city which is broke and needs the revenue and the developers who maximize profits by cramming as much in as possible. I live directly across from the Andrin site and while I believe they will be nice homes when finished and certainly nicer to look at than the view I have now since they cut down the trees to build the homes,70 homes in that space just seems to us long time residents too much. I can walk 4-5 blocks in either direction counting homes on both sides of the Blvd. to count 70 and the Dynes project is the same. I'm afraid if the province sells the Bell Cairn site beside me that could easily add another 150 homes.I'm not against progress but I wish we could have homes/townhomes that allowed for more space/yards . The homes by the ball diamond are an example where nice homes were built with nice sized yards keeping more in common with existing homes.I also agree that some homes would best be knocked over and rebuilt so long as they were rebuilt as single family homes which is what most are suppose to be built as.
With regard to the taxes, the reason most of us feel put out is because the increase in the property taxes down here have driven many long time residents to leave because they are now retired/seniors and can no longer afford to stay. I have relatives who lived their whole married life on the beach who left because they couldn't justify spending $5,000 of their pension yearly on taxes for their tiny home on the lake.All the new homeowners will be paying the same I believe once they get their assessments.The ones on the lakeside even more.I, myself after building a new home down here am having second thoughts about staying. In 4 years the assessment has gone up almost 100 % even though we've not done anything other than adding grass since building.This is only a good thing for those who wish to go not stay.I love the beach but I'm not sure I still love it enough to pay 10 K a year in taxes for garbage removal .Anyway, welcome to the Beach, if you see me cutting the grass or playing in the yard with my kids say hello and bring deep pockets,you're going to need them

Mormac

May 1, 2006
Sell the school property!! At the rate they are going they should open it again. All the young families moving in. Wouldn't that be something?

Top Bottom