More Beach Wildlife

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Arctic Ducks

These ducks have been migrating from the arctic to the Beach for the last few years, I'm told that they only come here (ship canal) and an area near Toronto. So this would be the equivalent of us heading to Florida for a warm winter and it's been pretty cold lately. There a thousands of these ducks and there are many different types, it's worth a look.

Attachments

suesue

Jul 6, 2008
wow, how fabulous seeing "deer" in your backyard! I didnt realize there were any in the area.

i loved the beaver pics too..never seen one in the wild. Ive had 3 baby racoons in my backyard..they were looking for their mummy~~ ;-(

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
wow, how fabulous seeing "deer" in your backyard! I didnt realize there were any in the area.

i loved the beaver pics too..never seen one in the wild. Ive had 3 baby racoons in my backyard..they were looking for thier mummy~~ ;-(
Ever since they the Redhill Expressway we seem to get a lot wildlife around here. Or it could be that they the property was worth more on the Beach and moved.
I seen my first coyote last week over on Woodward overpass.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
One ugly bird.

I have never seen these around until a couple years ago and only from far away.
Today there was a couple of turkey vultures flying low on the beach, so I went down for a closer look.
They were picking on a long dead fish that even the gulls couldn't be bother with. And yes what an ugly bird.

Attachments

Thanks to the interest in the Peregrins, some Beach residents have sent in their wildlife pics. If anyone has something to add, please post it or send it in and I will post it for you...
Recently, I found this little goldfinch in my driveway. I think it had hit our window and was a little stunned. He let me and my dog get a nice close look. About 10 minutes later he flew away.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That is a great blue heron. Looks funny to see such a large bird like those perching in a tree which they will do. :)
There are a few of those herons around, now that lake level is lower (and the ponds), I see one in the ponds around the Red Hill Parkway. I have not seen one in a tree, would be a great picture.
It looks like a broad winged hawk to me. :)
It is a tad hard to tell as the picture was taken through a screen door, it is a hawk and not a falcon.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Before when I used to feed the outdoor birds I would get the occasional red tailed hawk. The red tailed hawk did catch a mourning dove one day ugg. But I did get one surprise one day with a great horned owl in my yard.

I used to see the herons perched in the trees at the ponds by the wood bridge at RBG trails. That's a fun trail where you can hand feed the downy woodpeckers, black capped chickadees and white breasted nuthatches. :)
And some good news, there are a couple of bald eagles nesting at RBG trails now. Possible eggs next spring? Let's hope. :) As you can tell I'm very into birds and nature. :)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Before when I used to feed the outdoor birds I would get the occasional red tailed hawk. The red tailed hawk did catch a mourning dove one day ugg. But I did get one surprise one day with a great horned owl in my yard.

I used to see the herons perched in the trees at the ponds by the wood bridge at RBG trails. That's a fun trail where you can hand feed the downy woodpeckers, black capped chickadees and white breasted nuthatches. :)
And some good news, there are a couple of bald eagles nesting at RBG trails now. Possible eggs next spring? Let's hope. :) As you can tell I'm very into birds and nature. :)

Have you seen the Peregrins that nest down at the canal? In the summer there are many watching and taking pictures. A bald eagle came a little too close to the nesting site summer and the falcon watchers took some great photos of the two side by side eyeing each other down. There use to be a large number of great horned owls down here, then they seemed to disappear.

Top Bottom