Old Pictures of Beach Homes

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
I am new to Hamilton Beach and trying to find more pictures of my home from the past. Thanks to you I have the one from 1980 but could anyone tell me where I could find older pictures?
Thank you and have a safe and happy holiday.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am new to Hamilton Beach and trying to find more pictures of my home from the past. Thanks to you I have the one from 1980 but could anyone tell me where I could find older pictures?
Thank you and have a safe and happy holiday.
Hi Lainy :wavey:and welcome to the Beach Forum. I have posted just about every picture of the Beach from the "past" that I could find. So your could be in the background of another photo, what was the title of your house 1980 pic?

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
Hi Lainy :wavey:and welcome to the Beach Forum. I have posted just about every picture of the Beach from the "past" that I could find. So your could be in the background of another photo, what was the title of your house 1980 pic?
Thank you Scotto:)
it was 174, the Delzell's store from what I have gathered.

Brandy

Dec 30, 2009
Old resident of 174 beach boulevard

Hey there I am the old resident of 174 beach boulevard. We bought the property from Hugh and Margret Delzell. I lived there for 17 years and have always thought about the old house and what happened after we moved.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Hey there I am the old resident of 174 beach boulevard. We bought the property from Hugh and Margret Delzell. I lived there for 17 years and have always thought about the old house and what happened after we moved.
Hi Brandy; Welcome to the Beach Forum, as for 174 Beach Blvd, we just another new member ask about that house. Check over here that one-
http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528

And it is still there, but the front section has been removed and made to look like a house and not a store. What did it look like 17 years ago? I have attached a pic from today.

Brandy

Dec 30, 2009
174 beach boulevard.

The house has changed alot inside and out. Where the back porch is there used to be a sunroom where we found alot of old news papers and coca-cola signs from the old store. The front porch used to be enclosed and there was no front lawn just cement and bushes. The new kichen actually used to be the back room used for storage with old wooden crates from the store. I am currently trying to find pictures of the house so I can post them. I can tell you some history what would you like to know? Thank you for bringing it up I loved living there!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The house has changed alot inside and out. Where the back porch is there used to be a sunroom where we found alot of old news papers and coca-cola signs from the old store. The front porch used to be enclosed and there was no front lawn just cement and bushes. The new kichen actually used to be the back room used for storage with old wooden crates from the store. I am currently trying to find pictures of the house so I can post them. I can tell you some history what would you like to know? Thank you for bringing it up I loved living there!
Brandy;
I merged the two threads together, yes please, if you could post some old pics of the house, it would much appreciated.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Did you keep the signs and newspapers? Things like that are usually very collectable, especially old signs.

Brandy

Dec 30, 2009
old house resident

Yes I kept a few things but most of it was sold off by my parents through the years. I have a clock that was originally hung in the kitchen. Not worth much but I grew up looking at that clock for seventeen years. Upstairs there was a room that was locked and when we did manage to get the door open were all kinds of old statues and pictures, a dresser. Margrets family did pick up most of the old items. From what I was told is that Hugh and his brother both worked for shipping yards for some time and may have had a hand in the making of the life boats that were on the Titanic. Not for sure though if any one else knows please send in some info. Very interesting history in the house.

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
That is so neat to hear more information about the house.
Sorry for the late reply, have not had a chance to get on here in a while.
Since we have moved in, the entire main floor has been redone and we are just still in the process of finishes.
This spring and summer, we will be working on the outside (paint, new porch and deck for the back)
We are trying to reuse and keep as much of the material and wood as we can though as we don't want to loose the history.
I love the house and the history it has.

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
That is so neat to hear more information about the house.
Sorry for the late reply, have not had a chance to get on here in a while.
Since we have moved in, the entire main floor has been redone and we are just still in the process of finishes.
This spring and summer, we will be working on the outside (paint, new porch and deck for the back)
I love the house and the history it has.
Lainy;
If you don't mind me asking, what is that thing at the end of your drivway??
I was thinking it was a windmill???

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
Lainy;
If you don't mind me asking, what is that thing at the end of your drivway??
I was thinking it was a windmill???
Hi Scotto,
you know...I was waiting for someone to mention it:)
It is a Wind Spire (windmill).
I work for a construction company and one of our Electrical Contractors
has opened up another company for energy solutions so we decided to try it out.
There was a part missing from it so we have been waiting to get it and it should be up and running by next week.
Thanks for the additional information on the house...it was very interesting to hear about the Delzell's and the store they had here.
Have a good night and talk to you soon

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I wouldn't mind borrowing that windmill when I go to bed. My dog lays beside the bed at night and I swear she saves her farts till I lay down. This way I wouldn't have to cover my head all the time. With that I can blow it in another direction. (rolls eyes)

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
I wouldn't mind borrowing that windmill when I go to bed. My dog lays beside the bed at night and I swear she saves her farts till I lay down. This way I wouldn't have to cover my head all the time. With that I can blow it in another direction. (rolls eyes)
LOL:) Not a bad idea though.

Islander

Apr 28, 2008
Delzell's Store

I was born and raised in the house just across the road from Delzells store at 195 (now an empty lot) and when we were kids in the 50's the store was called the Royal General Store and Hugh and Margaret ran it. Hughie as we called him was orignially a shipwright in Belfast and worked on building lifeboats for the Titanic..interesting now but didn't seem to be back then. I remember one thing for sure, if you didn't say "please" you didn't get served.

Lainy

Dec 8, 2009
The park across the street...I hear that it is an estate lot now and that they plan to add some things to the park. I really enjoy hearing about the past here and about the Delzell's as well. Thanks for the info Islander:)

Top Bottom