758 Beach Blvd.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
This photo was sent in by the daughter of ex-resident James Kirk and was taken in approximately 1920.
James Kirk was noted business man back in his time.
The house has been a rental property for many years and has fallen into disrepair.
The ladies out front of the house are Jean Kirk, Rose Kirk and Florence Zoellen McDougall.

Attachments

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
What a pretty house. I don't remember it ever looking like that when I lived at 757. But then, I don't remember it looking like it does now with the front porch all boxed in.
Do you recall how old your house is (was) and were both houses beside you always there?
The person who donated this pic seems to think that there was an open view of the lake?

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
I don't really know how old our house was when we moved in (around 1938/40) but I suspect it was built in the early part of the century.My dad did a lot of renovation of it in the 40's and added two bedrooms at the back). Both adjacent houses were there but on the north side of our house there was a large yard (which is still there) and I suspect that it provided a clear view of the lake (probably better from the second floor of 758).

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
My sister remembers seeing the date 1907 impressed in the concrete of the walk in the back yard so I guess it was built before then.
I remember you saying that a few years ago(maybe more) and believe I asked the present owner if it was still there, I recall the he had just removed the concrete section from his yard.
But that will do to prove that it was there are blocking the view of the lake.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
They look like a classy group. You are correct that you can't see the old garage on the Crofton's property but it was there for sure. It wasn't very large and required a u-turn to get into it from the driveway. Old Mr. Crofton was Eaton's Santa Claus for many years.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A couple from today

They look like a classy group. You are correct that you can't see the old garage on the Crofton's property but it was there for sure. It wasn't very large and required a u-turn to get into it from the driveway. Old Mr. Crofton was Eaton's Santa Claus for many years.
The first pic is 758 beach Blvd as it looks today, yes needs a bit of work.
And the second pic is a shot from straight across the street, you would of had a clear view to the lake from the balcony at 758. The garage is also seen to the right.

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Good work Scotto. I am impressed that the garage is still there. Old Mr. Crofton must have worked pretty hard to get the car into and out of that garage in the days before power steering. I am sure you know that Mr. Crofton was the father of Rosemarie who is married to Jack Kemp? Are they still on the green side?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Good work Scotto. I am impressed that the garage is still there. Old Mr. Crofton must have worked pretty hard to get the car into and out of that garage in the days before power steering. I am sure you know that Mr. Crofton was the father of Rosemarie who is married to Jack Kemp? Are they still on the green side?
Actually this is first I have heard of the name Crofton, I believe Mrs. Kemp passed away many years ago and Jack still lives in the same big house.
On the green side?

As for the garage, I thought it had small (approx 3"X3") little windows all put together in the window frame, it was the same size just many small windows. Or was it aways like that?

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Yes, I think Mr. Crofton's name was Dan and was a real nice old man. A perfect type for Santa Claus. Sorry to hear the Rosemarie is no longer on the green side (as opposed to the brown side) and Jack must be in his nineties. If you ever run into him say hello to him for me.
I dont remember that detail in the garage.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Yes, I think Mr. Crofton's name was Dan and was a real nice old man. A perfect type for Santa Claus. Sorry to hear the Rosemarie is no longer on the green side (as opposed to the brown side) and Jack must be in his nineties. If you ever run into him say hello to him for me.
I dont remember that detail in the garage.
Thanks for the history and I will say to Jack for you.

sugrfoot

May 16, 2011
The young boy in the picture is Harry McDougall son of Florence and William of Tisdale St in 1911 and Caroline St S in 1921.He was the grandson of the owner James Kirk,.The family spent summers at the beach and the rest of the year at 139 George Street in town.The property remained in Kirk hands til at least 1932 when James and Rose both died.Jean was a single mother of 2 and Florence a widow living in Niagara Falls, The right of way today goes down the driveway in the "today" photo...I wonder if that means the original property actually fronted on the beach.Any new info I would appreciate.I am the great grandchild of James Kirk.I only just discovered this going through a family album after my father died...he always talked about the Beach but I never went there.It is so sad to see what has happened to the place.I was quite surprised to see it last summer ...it seems quite small but looks almost grand in the old photo.Harry McDougall was born in December of 1907 so I think the photo was probably taken about 1910.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sugrfoot;
Great first post and welcome to the Beach Forum.
Thanks for the background history, when I stopped by to take a couple of the after pictures, there were two young ladies sitting beside the house that is located at the end of the lane across from the Kirk property. They told me that the lane at one time was a right of way and that anyone could use it as an access to the beach. Not so anymore though, but they did ask me to wait so that they could get out of the way and not be in the photo.
About five years ago I asked the older lady who was living in 757 (Crawfish's old house) if she knew much about the lane, she told me that it was tight to get cars in and out of and anytime she left her car in the laneway for any time at all, the owner in the back house would call the law on her.
I doubt that this was Mr. Crofton.

Top Bottom