Salt Storm(starting) 2012

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another light dusting again today, came out around noon to see my vehicle was covered with a white material. MOE informed.
Checking Eastport, there was a ship discharging what I believe to be gypsum.

First two show the dusting of my vehicle;
Oct19.JPG
Oct19a.JPG

Ship unloading on Eastport, directly behind my house.
Oct19b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
There have been some minor occurrences since our last impact back on October 19th and have been reported to the MOE, I am still waiting for some samples to come back from being tested. On November 24th the area around the Texaco condos was hit pretty hard after some moderate winds out the south, the cars looked like they had been sitting in barn for ten years. At the time, there was a ship loading on Pier 24 and and open salt pile on Pier 23.
Some pictures sent in by resident and also posted on the other Beach site.
257619907_454867272821099_2575605490059850328_n.jpg
258844265_587191065697599_4318777062585351001_n.jpg
259453273_315950746788117_4474019014883718892_n.jpg
260475036_326855708862125_7162319106802847338_n.jpg

Open salt pile on Pier 23;
Nov25.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I called the MOE this week as my vehicle had a light dusting on it which looked like salt. Checking the piles on Eastport I notice one was open and it looked like this pile was being used to load trucks for delivery, this pile would be located directly behind my property. Another pile further north had the cover damaged and was also open.
Move ahead to today, severe winds are in the forecast with winds expected to hit over 100km and checking Eastport Drive, both piles are still open.

My windshield was cleaned but covered again.
Dec9.jpg

From today (December 11th)
Piles left open for the weekend on Eastport.
Dec11.JPG

The damaged cover and open pile;
Dec11b.JPG

Winds out of the southwest at well over 100km;
Dec11c.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
After yesterdays storm and high winds, vehicles on my street were covered white material that resembles salt. The high winds were announced on the media so everyone, including the Port, knew that the winds were coming and left two piles of salt open. Other streets were hit as well but not as bad.

My vehicle;
Dec12.JPG

Dec12b.JPG

Another car from my street;
Dec12c.JPG

And a truck that was parked on Granville Ave.
Dec12d.JPG

These were sent in by a resident on Clare Ave, a fairly new vehicle also completely covered.

Dec12d.JPG
Resized_20211212_104308_5264918045.jpeg

Resized_20211212_109.jpeg

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I stopped by our local pub today and the car I parked behind was very similar to mine, it was completely covered with a white blotchy substance that looked to be salt. I asked the owner of the vehicle where they lived and they replied Arden Ave, so this latest impact was more widespread then I thought.
Dec13Arden.JPG

Edit;
The MOE and the salt company (QSL) have both agreed that impact was from the salt company located on Eastport, QSL and has mailed out car wash coupons to many residents. Problem being is that the impact damage isn't isolated just our vehicles, any medal on our proprieties also get damaged over time and with every hit.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I received of complaints from residents yesterday who seen the salt piles wide open during high winds. Checked my vehicle and it had a light dusting of what looked like salt. I traveled over to Eastport and one large pile was uncovered and another looked to be open as well, the front section of the tarp was moving quite a bit in the wind.

My car windshield;
Jan10a.JPG

Open piles;
Jan10b.JPG
Jan10c.JPG

Open pile, taken near Harry's Pub;
Jan10.JPG

Edit;
From the environmental section of the Hamilton Spectator, Matthew VanDongen writes about the impacts of the tenants located on Port lands including our salt issue.
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilt...nt-will-fall-from-the-sky-in-hamilton.html?rf
It seems the article is for membership only at present, this the section about our salt issue.

Salt pollution

Scott Howley routinely posts photos online of corroded eavestroughs and stained vehicles on Hamilton's beach strip that he believes are due to road salt blown off massive piles stored on Pier 26. He started posting photos in 2012 and complained to the ministry about a coating of salt on his vehicle as recently as last December. The ministry said last year it is working with cargo unloading companies on "best management practices" for salt piles at Pier 26, including covering unused piles and wetting the face of open piles.

Hamilton-Oshawa Port Authority head Ian Hamilton also told councillors last year the organization is working with the ministry and its tenants to tackle the problem. ''I know it's not eliminated, but I am hoping there has been a noticeable improvement."
(Nothing has improved)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Leaving my house today (February 19th) I notice my vehicle and property cover with a white substance again.
Checking the piles on Eastport, one large pile was open on both ends, once again it was another long weekend with no loading going on. There was plenty of news forecasts stating we would be getting inclement weather with high winds combined with an Alberta Clipper. Yet the piles were left open and unattended, there was also a high winds warning on the QEW stating to be cautious on the Skyway due to the high winds.

This is the front (south end) of the pile.
Feb19.JPG

The rear section;
Feb19a.JPG

Skyway warning;
Feb19b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Checking my vehicle on Wednesday (February 23rd) it was covered in what looked like salt. I had my car at the car wash two days before and it rained most of next day and it was was warm for this time of the year, therefore the QEW wasn't getting salted. Checked Eastport and two piles were still wide open as they were last weekend. Also, the QEW sign warned motorist again about high winds on the Skyway. I checked through the neighbourhood and found that Grafton got much more impacted than the other streets (many attached pictures),The whole street had a uniform impact to all vehicles.

The open piles;
Feb23a.JPG
Feb23b.JPG

Wind warning for the Skyway;
Feb23d.JPG

Impacted vehicles on Grafton Ave;
Feb23c.JPG
Feb23e.JPG
Feb23f.JPG
Feb23g.JPG
Feb23.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another wind storm (100km+) coming for March 6th and the same two piles have been open since February 19th, I seen a covering of my vehicle of what looked like salt after winds started and checked Eastport. The Skyway was closed in both directions as a tractor trailer rolled over due to the high winds, but the same two piles are wide open.
Two open piles;
March6c.JPG

March6b.JPG

Mess on the QEW due to the high winds;
March6.JPG
March6a.JPG
March6d.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another weekend with blustery winds and the piles are still open. The smaller working pile was covered somewhat but the large piles was wide open and looking like it is collapsing.
These were taken on March 12th;
March12.JPG

The smaller pile is open behind the rail car.
March12b.JPG

Another of my vehicle covered with what looks like salt.
March14.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
The same large pile has been open since February 19th with many days that had winds out of the west, also many days with a white substance on my vehicle and property.
I was told that this pile is a working pile meaning that it is used to load trucks for delivery, I have never seen any product being removed from this pile and the only time I see any change is when there are high winds.
March29.JPG

High winds out of the south west were forecasted in the news for March 30th, due to the wind direction, I was not impacted. I checked with resident on the adjacent side streets a couple days later and was told that they received substance that resemble salt and another darker material.
Checking ship traffic, a ship unloaded a load of gypsum directly behind Granville ave during the wind storm of March 30th. The pile is still uncovered today(April 11th)
GypsumMar30.JPG

Finally the large "working" pile was covered up on the weekend April 3rd;
April3.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Ship are starting to return with more loads of salt to unload. On June 7th and ship came and unloaded over night and the pile was covered up the next morning. However, I noticed a very light dusting on my vehicle when leaving for the day (June 8th), the other side street were not as lucky. A Grafton Ave resident had his high end truck covered with a white substance that looked like salt, the material seemed to be buried into the paint making the surface of his truck fell like sandpaper.

The unloaded pile with a white tarp;
June8c.JPG

Truck from Grafton;
June8.JPG
June8a.JPG
June8b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
More ship loads coming, last night a vessel came in and unloaded overnight. The pile was promptly covered starting at 8am and there weren't enough winds to impact our community. However, this is just another massive salt pile that has to be slowly loaded into trucks when the weather gets colder and delivered. That means more damage to our properties.
Open pile from this morning;
July8.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another ship load came in last Sunday (July 10th), I checked the pile over the last few days and it was left uncovered until today when a white tarp was finally installed, that would would be almost three days with moderate winds.
July10.JPG

This picture was taken yesterday (July 12th), a tarp is blowing around near the north side of the pile but not covering it.
July12.JPG

From July 13th, anther ship load came in today but was covered the next morning. This pile is still a shipload of salt that will be trucked out all next winter.
July13.JPG
July13.aJPG.JPG

On July 26th another ship load was dropped off in behind Comet Ave but lucky for residents in that area, the winds were light and out of the east.
July26.JPG
July26b.JPG

Last edited:

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Forward to August 1st, I noticed a white salt looking substance on my vehicle a few time over the last week. But on this day it was worst and checking the other streets, both sides of my street were hit, Lagoon, Clare and Granville all had some impact.
Aug1.JPG
Aug1b.JPG
Aug1c.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
A resident near Rembe Ave sent these photos in to me yesterday that were that on August 4th, his truck was clearly also covered in a white substance that looked like salt. The piles on Eastport have been cover up since the end of July but we keep getting impacted. Well past time to have these piles moved.
Aug4.jpg
Aug4a.jpg
Aug4c.jpg

Aug4d.jpg

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Another ship load being dropped off on August 14th, that was then merged with a larger pile one scoop at a time.
Aug14b.JPG
Aug14c.JPG

A wider view of the large pile being made into an even bigger pile.
Aug14a.JPG

Just to show how big and how close these piles are to our community, this is the end of Knapman Ave.
Aug14.JPG

Another ship load came in on August 17th to add to the massive pile that is already there.
But notice the massive pile has been covered and luckily the winds were very low for the whole week so little impact with these two deliveries.
Aug17.JPG

From the south end of the pile, which is directly across from my property.
Aug17b.JPG

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
New change, a load of alt was dropped off on October 5th (Wednesday) at pier 22 which is on the opposite side of the harbour from the Beach community. The Port tenant then proceed to slowly move the pile over about 100 yards to the north just before a long weekend. In this time there were moderate winds out of the west and south west.
Oct5.JPG

Checking my street and few streets to the north, there seemed to be very little salt impact. Another darker material did cover my car and was witnessed by the MOE.
Moving ahead to Saturday October 8th, a family member stop with their (newer) minivan and it looked to be covered with a white blotchy substance that looked like salt.
Oct8.JPG
Oct8a.JPG
Oct8b.JPG

Top Bottom