1947/48 Houses Moved?

Webster

Oct 15, 2006
Off Beach Blvd.
Does anyone know about a series houses or businesses that were moved from a part of the beach strip, in or around 1948?

I"ve been able to trace my house back and found it was moved to it's present location in 1948.....and that's as far as I could get.
After doing some renovations, I found the doors and windows were on the side, but what makes me wonder is the original hardwood floors, that run through the house without a break in them for walls. It must have been all open. (it's a small, gable end house)
Makes me think it was maybe a hardware store or something similiar. :tbu:

Thought someone on here may have some information about that or has something for me to work back from.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Does anyone know about a series houses or businesses that were moved from a part of the beach strip, in or around 1948?

I"ve been able to trace my house back and found it was moved to it's present location in 1948.....and that's as far as I could get.
After doing some renovations, I found the doors and windows were on the side, but what makes me wonder is the original hardwood floors, that run through the house without a break in them for walls. It must have been all open. (it's a small, gable end house)
Makes me think it was maybe a hardware store or something similiar. :tbu:

Thought someone on here may have some information about that or has something for me to work back from.
I know many houses were moved from VanWagners to the Beach Strip after Hurricane Hazel, but I believe that occured in 1954.
I don't recall hearing anything being moved in and around 1948, possibly some of our history members may have some answers.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
Houses moved

I remember my Dad telling us that the house we lived in at 20 Arden Avenue was moved from the bottom of Windemere or Knapman. Not sure of the year... maybe Frank can chime in on this one.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I remember my Dad telling us that the house we lived in at 20 Arden Avenue was moved from the bottom of Windemere or Knapman. Not sure of the year... maybe Frank can chime in on this one.
Some of the homes could of been moved due to the expansion of the QEW. Once the new route was set many of the home near the harbour were removed to allow the new highway in. I don't think that this would be the same timeframe though.

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
My brother says the time frame was 52 or 53...and it was for expropriation purposes to build the Skyway. My Dad bought a couple of houses, probably from the bottom of Windemere and Knapman and combined them into one house on Arden.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
My brother says the time frame was 52 or 53...and it was for expropriation purposes to build the Skyway. My Dad bought a couple of houses, probably from the bottom of Windemere and Knapman and combined them into one house on Arden.
In my younger days (a long time ago) Windemere and Knapman were the only sidestreets that connected to each other at the ends, so you could drive down one and up the other.

Is the house still on Arden?

JManCan

Aug 15, 2008
no, when my parents sold the store to the city, we sold the house as well...both were torn down when we moved over to the lakeside.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I've been told my house on Kirk Road was down at Van Wagners' beach prior to Hurricane Hazel in 1954.
Back in the 50's there must of been a lot of extra room on the strip because many homes were moved from VanWagners'. Before the City started buying all the lots for parkland, I remember it being very crowded down here.

Mormac

May 1, 2006
I was living on Knapman when the skyway was built. The streets were joined but there was no house facing the bay. The one end house on Windermere also had a side entrance but that was all.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I was living on Knapman when the skyway was built. The streets were joined but there was no house facing the bay. The one end house on Windermere also had a side entrance but that was all.
Thanks Mormac, in my younger days there was plenty of room to drive around the back, now there is no room at all and the QEW was there back then.

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Houses on Bayview Avenue

It just came back to me but when I was born, my parents were living in a rented house on the street that joined Knapman's Drive and Windermere. I think the name was Bayview Avenue. I have a picture of myself at a very tender age taken outside that house which I will try to attach.
Well, for some reason or other, I am unable to attach that picture so I will send it to Scotto and maybe he could post it (if it is worth it).

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
Bayview Avenue

I finally did the smart thing and did a bit of research on how to post pictures and I think I have mastered it. This will demonstrate whether or not I am a good student. Incidently, the house behind the human subject was the one next door to ours.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I finally did the smart thing and did a bit of research on how to post pictures and I think I have mastered it. This will demonstrate whether or not I am a good student. Incidently, the house behind the human subject was the one next door to ours.
Good job Crawfish, see it wasn't that hard.:hail:
Bayview Ave. was at the end of Knapman Ave and ran along the shore on the bay side. I looked that up in this thread....

http://hamiltonbeachcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503

BTW, is the human subject you?

Top Bottom