2009 Polar Bear Swim

Dave B

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton
Does anyone know who I would talk to about this? I'm trying organize a group of us to go, and we were also wondering which charities were involved.

There are 55 days left until swim time!!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Does anyone know who I would talk to about this? I'm trying organize a group of us to go, and we were also wondering which charities were involved.

Dave;
The East Hamilton Optimist Club runs the event, have a look at their website and see if that will get you the needed info, if not let me know and I will get you the number of the person that runs it (Eric).

http://www.optimistclubeasthamilton.com/home.html

Edit:
This is the number for person in charge of this event...
Eric, (905) 512-7866
Eric has given the Ok for his number to be posted here, thanks to Rick Creechan from Hutchs' for his assistance

Last edited:

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008

Let me know if you get a group together, I would definitely be interested in participating!

Dave B

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton
Hey everybody,

I spoke with Eric and the plan is the same as previous years. This is event is organized by the East Hamilton Optimist Club. I'm not affiliated with them, and am only providing the information.

Registration will be at 11:00 am and swim time is at 1:00 pm. Donations of non perishable foods are greatly appreciated. There will be a draw and door prizes. All swimmers must have a spotter.

Dave

Dave B

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton
I can't believe I forgot the location.

Everything takes place on January 1st behind Hutches on Van Wagners Beach Rd. I believe the registration was inside Hutch's last year. Just look for a table with 2-3 people sitting behind it selling raffle tickets and handing out registration forms.

Last year was my first time, and it's definately become the new tradition for me.

Dave B

Jun 21, 2006
Hamilton
There was a great turn out yesterday! It seemed like there were more people than last year. Does anyone know what the official registered count was?

Dave

lil squirt

Super Moderator
Mar 11, 2004
Former Beach Bum, now in Stoney Creek
Here is a link to the article.
http://www.stoneycreeknews.com/news/article/158731

New Year's revelers take the plunge in Polar Bear swim

By Paul Hutchings, News Staff

News
Jan 09, 2009
Large Medium Small Print This Article Tell a friend When it comes to celebrating the New Year, what's a little cold?
So said the nervy souls that braved the sub-zero temperatures of Lake Ontario in the annual Polar Bear plunge.

Approximately 200 people went for a swim at 1 p. m. on New Year's Day, some clad in swimsuits, others fully dressed in regular clothing and costumes.

Possibly hoping that might keep them warm. Unfortunately the goose bumps told a different story.

"Yeah, that didn't work," joked Mario Lamarre, who jumped in wearing a suit and tie. "You'd think it would at least keep me a little warm, but no."

Mr. Lamarre walked gingerly on the rocks of the shore, trying to get in the lake just one step at a time.

His friend Dennis Coulter had different plans for him, as he grabbed Mr. Lamarre and pushed him into the lake in an act of horseplay.

"Get into it," yelled Mr. Coulter. "You're not wimping out on us now!"

Sarcasm aside, everyone had different reasons for risking hypothermia.

Some liked the adventure, some were there because they didn't want to be called a "chicken". Others liked the idea that the event was helping to raise money for the McMaster Children's Hospital and the Optimist's Club.

The weather did cooperate somewhat.

Although spectators could see their breath in their air the temperature was at just below zero - given recent sub-arctic temperatures it could have been worse, said Sandy Gold, who jumped in for her second year in a row.

"Last year was a lot colder, and windier," she said. "When there is no wind it almost makes it bearable."

Until you hit the water. Some first-timers described it as millions of needles stabbing their bodies simultaneously.

Others just felt plain cold as they ran in, throwing caution to the wind.

"The secret is to run in, if you walk and take your time you won't do it," said Sam Arthur, who last took the plunge three years ago.

"I remembered that, it's like ripping off a bandage. If you run in, dip right in there over your head and run out, that counts. No one can say you chickened out and you probably won't get sick."

"I got sick the last time," he added. "But won't this year."

In some parts of Europe polar bear plunges are associated with ways of cooling down quickly after a sauna.

In Canada the Vancouver Polar Bear Swim Club claims to be the oldest such club in the nation.

Top Bottom