ANNUAL GARAGE SALE (July 2006)

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the March 2006 Beach Banner
Sunday July 9th 2006
In consultation with City staff,we have agreed——there will be "NO SETTING UP" before Saturday July 8th, as you can legally only hold "TWO" garage sales in one year.
WE have also requested the City to assist in addressing the removal of garbage and debris from the garage sale. EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEANING UP THEIR OWN MESS AFTERWARDS.
If you plan to BBQ for sale purposes, you must have a Dept of Health permit. I have some at 924 Beach Blvd. (if I can remember where I put them) Call Gwen at 905-544-7873

BeckyS

May 29, 2005
So... if someone starts setting up on the Thursday again... does the city come and kick them out?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Becky;
From what I gathered while listening to the By-Law rep at the meeting for this, they can set up on Thursday and one more day. So if they do, they risk being charged on Sunday if open. Two days only, no more.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Squirt;
I was against charging anyone for left over garbage as past experince has shown that when By-law shows up to push for compliance, the only ones that get charged are the locals. So, the Beach people will get the fines and outside venders won't because they will be long gone. Just the way I see it.
Our Counciler is in the process of changing our bulk pickup date to the Monday after the sale, this should help with the garbage problem.

beachboy

AKA Beerboy
Sep 6, 2004
Yeah, Bulk pick-ups are no longer according to our new schedule.You have to call one week ahead and arrange it.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
beachboy said:
Yeah, Bulk pick-ups are no longer according to our new schedule.You have to call one week ahead and arrange it.
I wasn't aware of that, but our Councilor has requested that there be a pick-up the day after the sale. Below is a e-mail message to the Beach Council from Chad Collins;

"Hi Blair, as per our conversation the other day at our waste meeting, can you make contact with Gwen Hall (544-7873) to make arrangements for the Monday Bulk pick up after the sale on the 9th? Further, your suggestion of providing recycling barrels the day of the sale is a good one, and one I'm sure Gwen will want to pursue.
Can you keep me posted on the progress we make with this?"

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Sent in by member ThePenders;
I think the City should charge a non resident a permit fee to those who want to come and camp out in the empty lots. This fee could also entitle them to a garbage can which the City could drop off on the friday for clean up of their mess, and collect it Monday morning. Any mess left could be tracked to the permit holder, and they could be fined.
I think the garage sale is awesome, but we are starting to lose
neighbourhood fun it brought. I guess that will almost take care of itself
with the lots being sold, there won't be much space available for the non
residents to setup.

Its still a great day to see people you havent seen in a while coming down
to take in the day!!

The permit idea was brought up at the Beach Council meeting attended by Councilor Collins and Judy Downey(By-Law) and was discussed at length.
The term used was "structured", this would take the Beach Garage Sale to a new level and that would include more inforcement. Again it was decided that the only one who would get fines for non-compliance of the rules would mostly be the locals, so we stayed clear for that reason.
Also, someone would have to be in charge of permits and money, too much work.
But yes, its still a great day to see people you havent seen in a while coming down to take in the day

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
lil squirt said:
I hope we have more people this year. Each year, there seem's to be less and less people. :(
It seems you got your wish, cars were parked on both sides of the Beach from end to almost the other and it had to be the biggest crowd in memory. I see that there were even parking problems all the way down VanWagners.
I will have a look tonight and see how much was left behind by the vendors.

Photo #1 Santa (Jimmy Lomax) and MP Wayne Marston at Operation Santa Claus head quarters.
Photo #2 Josh looking for Santa.
Photo #3 Looking south from Mareve Ave.
Photo #4 Avery's watering hole, I think she didn't want her picture taken.
Photo #5 Sunrise Gallery's first Beach Garage sale.

Top Bottom