Any one know?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Why are the two lakers are anchored out in the lake?

:wazzup:
There are few reasons why, there could be problems at the lift bridge (I called and there isn't any) or they could be waiting for the fuel ship, but I sure they are just waiting out the winds. Where ever they are heading to must be just a little to nasty to bother with, so they just it out at this end of the lake where it's still windy, but there isn't any large waves. Also, coming into the habour cost money and paper work, waiting there dosen't cost anything but time.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
Geez I should read what I type before I hit enter!lol

I read what I orginally typed, if you read slow you would

think I had a few drinks this morning. :apat:

Crawfish

Dec 1, 2004
Longueuil, Quebec
If they are fully loaded (as I am sure they are) with iron ore they may be waiting for the wind to drop so that the water level comes back up. I heard an interview with a laker captain the other day who says that it often happens that the wind drives the water to the downwind end of the lake and a fully-loaded freighter has to wait for enough water to get to the dock.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Geez I should read what I type before I hit enter!lol
I read what I orginally typed, if you read slow you would think I had a few drinks this morning. :apat:
I know what you mean I do it all the time, lucky there is an edit button.

If they are fully loaded (as I am sure they are) with iron ore they may be waiting for the wind to drop so that the water level comes back up. I heard an interview with a laker captain the other day who says that it often happens that the wind drives the water to the downwind end of the lake and a fully-loaded freighter has to wait for enough water to get to the dock.
I will check tommorrow and see where that ship went. Good point as it getting to be a real problem, but not as bad with our lake as compared to some of northern ones.
Seen it on a TV program, for every inch the lake level lowers, the ship has to remove 270 tons from full capacity.

waterlilly

Sep 22, 2007
I thought I saw a barge out at the entrance of the canal dredging this morning?

The water level as dropped a fair amount compared to last year, or at least

it seems, takes a far distance down the boat ramp to put the jetski in, and now that it is closed we have to drive around to Lasalle and that ramp

is total crap IMO

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I thought I saw a barge out at the entrance of the canal dredging this morning?

The water level as dropped a fair amount compared to last year, or at least

it seems, takes a far distance down the boat ramp to put the jetski in, and now that it is closed we have to drive around to Lasalle and that ramp

is total crap IMO
The lake is the lowest I have ever seen it and you can see the old levels by looking at the markings on the side of the pier and that low level is still better than other lakes.
I checked on the dredging and nothing is going on right now, a tug and barge did go out this morning around 9am. They don't move too fast so it may of appeared as if some work was going on.
I also checked on that James Norris that was sitting on the lake yesterday, there is no record of it on the Great Lakes web site, so I checked with the Coast Guard and they didn't know either. They think that it is most likely tied up in Clarkson, where it spends a lot of time. So it was probably waiting for an open spot on the dock yesterday.

Top Bottom