Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
From the Office of Councillor Chad Collins

March 1, 2013

Dear Resident:
RE: April 2013 Garbage and Recycling Pick Up Changes
There are some changes coming to how we pick up garbage and recycling in Hamilton. As of April 1, 2013, the City will be doing things a little differently to make things easier, and more convenient, as you sort your waste each week and put it out at the curb for pick up.
The City's Public Works Department has answered questions to help youunderstand exactly Wha'ts happening and what it means for you.

What is happening to waste pick up?
Changes are being made to how the City picks up your recycling, garbage and food scraps (green bin).
Enhancements include more frequent yard waste, bulk goods collection, and a "trash tag" system for extra garbage.

When is it happening?
The changes will take effect as of April 1, 2013.

What is a "trash tag"?
A trash tag is a long, narrow sticker that is to be used on extra bags I cans of garbage (above the one container limit).

Why do we need to use trash tags?
The purpose of the tags is to replace Amnesty Weeks - allowing them to be used on extra garbage any week of the year. They DO NOT need to be used on the first bag I can of garbage each week.

Will there still be "amnesty weeks"?
No, there will no longer be "amnesty weeks". They are being replaced with trash tags.

How and when will I get my trash tags?
Trash tags will be mailed through Canada Post during March along with the City's 2013 Garbage and Recycling Guide.

Where do I put my trash tags? / How do I put my trash tags on my garbage bag I container?
Trash tags come with an adhesive backing (they have glue on their backs). Remove a trash tag from the piece of paper it came on and stick it on your extra container(s) of garbage. Trash tags MUST BE VISIBLE to collectors. They can be:
• wrapped around the top of your garage bag (preferred)
• stuck on a piece of garbage that is sitting on the top of your garbage can. Do not put a trash tag on your garbage can itself.

How many trash tags do I get?
You will get 12 trash tags mailed to you with your 2013 Garbage and Recycling Guide. After you receive your first 12 trash tags with your 2013 Garbage and Recycling Guide, you can call our office at (905)546-2716; or (905) 546-CITY (2489), email orvisitonlineathamilton.calwaste to request an additional 14 tags.

Where can I go in person to get more trash tags?
You can go to anyone of the City's six Municipal Service Centres or City Hall to pick up your additional trash tags in person.

How much will trash tags cost?
Trash tags are paid for through annual property taxes. There is no additional cost for them.

How long can I use my trash tags for? I Will they expire? I When will they expire?
Trash tags will be good for one year beginning each April. Therefore, the tags you receive in March 2013 will be good for one year beginning April 1, 2013 and expire at the end of March 2014. New tags will be sent to you each year.

What is changing about yard waste pick up?
You can put out as much yard waste as you would like to all year round on your scheduled pick up day. This is a change from the current / previous schedule of every-other-week pick up during the Spring and Fall. Knowing whether you live in a purple zone or a yellow zone (as indicated on last year's pick up calendar) is no longer necessary.

What is changing about bulk pick up? I How far in advance do I have to call in to schedule a bulk pick up?
You can now call in to book a bulk pick up every week. Call in at least one week before you want your big garbage picked up.

What is changing about the Community Recycling Centres (CRCs)?
There are no changes being made to the CRCs. - The Kenora CRC is located at 460 Kenora Avenue (north of Barton) and is open all year, Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. It is closed on Sundays and New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

For further information in regards to this or any other matter of concern, contact my office at (905) 546-2716.

Chad Collins
Councillor, Ward 5
Red Hill

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Did anyone get their tags yet?

I didn't get them yet and it saying this coming week this takes effect.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I still don't understand the purpose for these tags.

I guess with the holiday it held things up. I was supposed to get a delivery from Purolator last Thursday but it didn't come yet either.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I still don't understand the purpose for these tags.
Instead of having garbage days where you can put out two extra bags, you can put one of these tags on your extra garbage at anytime. There will no longer be extra bags days.
The tags are not to be used on the first bag, so if you only put out one bag, it won't need a tag.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Are people's personal addresses on the tags?

No mail again today due to the holiday but Purolator did deliveries today. I just got my package.

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
I had to email the city to have them send me some tags. I never did get any. I will probably get them next week sometime.

I wouldn't doubt they are just sweetening the pot for us this year and next year is when they are going to drop the axe on us and we will have to purchase the tags. Other cities are already paying for theirs.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I had to email the city to have them send me some tags. I never did get any. I will probably get them next week sometime.

I wouldn't doubt they are just sweetening the pot for us this year and next year is when they are going to drop the axe on us and we will have to purchase the tags. Other cities are already paying for theirs.
If I have to pay an extra dollar for a bag, I am OK with that. Usually only have one bag anyway.
So no one received them?

Sharla1

Oct 15, 2009
Yea I have no problem with a dollar a bag. That is cheaper then taking things to the dump which is $8 plus depending on the weight load.

Top Bottom