Beach Blvd. up and coming? How do you feel?

Roberta

May 29, 2008
Hi everyone -
Just wanted to know your thoughts on the development of the Beach strip. Seems as though all the talk around Burlington is that Beach Blvd. is the up and coming place to be. God stopped making land on the water a loooooong time ago, and it looks like Beach Boulevard has become famous for having still affordable and desirable properties on/across from the water. I see that most of you live in the community, or have lived thier.. and probably for a good amount of time. How do you feel about the new builders and new people coming to the strip? Do you have worries or concerns? Just curious to know your opinions.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
I think its sad that people who have spent most of their lives here are being bought out by all these developers who aren't at all interested in preserving the history of the beach. One of the many sad things about it is that these beautiful old homes are being replaced with townhouses, which takes away the characteristic quality and beauty of living along a body of water. The developers are offering large sums of money for these properties, which understandably puts the homeowners more willing to sell, but I still do not think it is fair. It is my understanding that the number of complaints about the appearance of certain properties towards the lift bridge have increased over the past few years since new people have been moved down here. They moved down here knowing these places were here for many years, and yet they still try to change things. Another thing is the pathway, not only has it taken away part of the history (removal of the train tracks), but it has taken away a lot of privacy. I can't remember exactly what year it was, but I was in early elementary school when I wrote a speech and presented it at city hall regarding the then proposal of a path. I don't know if anybody remembers "Save it, don't pave it"? I was able to do my part back then, but unfortunately now it appears too late to really be able to stop any more of this. I am also not in favor of what they are proposing to build at the former Dynes lot. The beach to me has always been distinct from the rest of Hamilton, and with all these developments and new people coming down here soon we are just going to blend right in with the rest of the city.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Just to add, you should see what it has done to our taxes.
Many Beach people who have lived here for all their lives can no longer afford this burden.
It is like paying a second morgage and really not getting much in return.

The day will come when most of us will have to move, I would rather it stayed the way it was 20 years ago.

I find it real hard to believe the draw the beach is having on all these new people, sure the view is nice but the noise and air pollution is what made me leave. I lived on the beach from 1967 to 2008. All the changes with the tracks gone and hundreds of people walking by your backyard the environment has suffered and the taxes have shot right up. I live just 2 minutes from the beach now and my taxes are what I paid back in 1992 when I bought my first home on the beach, very little air pollution and a nice quiet neighbourhood. I remember the "Save it, don't pave it" and had a feeling there was nothing that can stop development if that goes through. The new homes just ruin the feel of the beach and soon there will be nothing but town homes, condos a few strip malls and a couple stop lights.
I am not bashing the beach, but I sure do miss the way it was.:(

Drive any direction off the beach. The winds primarily blow from hamilton over the beach bringing with it the smells and fallout. I live up Woodward and left off Brampton there are 4 streets in this neighbourhood. I have yet to wash the white siding on my house since it is not dirty, i do not need to use my wipers to clean my windshield every morning before I head off to work either and I have yet to smell anything funky. It has totally amazed me how quiet it is as well. It all depends on which way the wind blows and you could say I just moved upwind.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
I agree, it has gotten much noisier down here, not only with the path being put in but the amount of traffic flow as well. I lived right at Eastport drive for many years, and even with bring right by the (old) gas station and the lift bridge, there was hardly as much traffic as there is now. I am just a little further up from there now, and I can hear cars going by at all hours. Thankfully my backyard is covered with trees, so the noise from the path isn't too bothersome to me personally, but I really feel for those who have more open yards.

canoe_gurl

Super Moderator
Aug 19, 2008
Just to add, you should see what it has done to our taxes.
Many Beach people who have lived here for all their lives can no longer afford this burden.
It is like paying a second morgage and really not getting much in return.

The day will come when most of us will have to move, I would rather it stayed the way it was 20 years ago.

It's terrible, and that is exactly what the developers are taking advantage of. They know that the urbanization of the beach is going to raise taxes, which in turn will put the original homeowners under more pressure to sell out to them.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
It's terrible, and that is exactly what the developers are taking advantage of. They know that the urbanization of the beach is going to raise taxes, which in turn will put the original homeowners under more pressure to sell out to them.
The hardest hit are the seniors who are on fixed incomes, they don't have the money for these high taxes and they don't want to move.

Roberta

May 29, 2008
Wow - this is quite an intense Thread. I'm proud I started it!
I dont really know how to respond because I understand what you are feeling, but I also have a much different view.
I think that a little bit of new life on the strip will do it some good. It is a lovely area and thats why people are taking advantage of the new construction. YES, unfortunately the urbanization raises the taxes - but dont blame this on the builders or the new occupants. There is definately an issue with Hamilton taxes period.
There are always pro's and con's about urbanization, and all we can do is hope that the builders are kind enough to take into consideration the heritage of the strip. Things cant stay the same forever unfortunatly. I have seen and met many of the home buyers from both the Andrin community and the Branthaven community and it is a nice mix of retiries, empty nesters and young couples starting out. I think that all of these individuals respect and love the heritage that still exists within the community and will fight to help preserve it.
I dont know why we cant preserve the heritage and authenticity of the strip but at the same time give it new life.
I'm sad that no one sees this in any kind of positive light.

Roberta

May 29, 2008
Someone should start a Bach Blvd. Heritage museum. Just thought of this as I was reading threads about the Green Cables property.

Roberta

May 29, 2008
I hope that no one took offence to my feelings on this matter. Just a healthy discussion! I guess you don't see any of this in a positive way Scotto? Its sad to think that we will be looked upon as the ones who are helping "destroy" the community. Because thats how you are making it seem, but I really hope this is not the case. I'm still excited to move in!

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Wow - this is quite an intense Thread. I'm proud I started it!
Yes, thanks for starting it!

I dont really know how to respond because I understand what you are feeling, but I also have a much different view.
I think that a little bit of new life on the strip will do it some good. It is a lovely area and thats why people are taking advantage of the new construction. YES, unfortunately the urbanization raises the taxes - but dont blame this on the builders or the new occupants. There is definately an issue with Hamilton taxes period.
Our taxes were relatively low here on the Beach as compared to many places in Hamilton until the sewers came in and even higher when the Path was built.
Every time a new house is built and/or sold, our taxes our taxes go up higher.
Some of these homes have very small front and back yards, it's all house.
If these huge homes which cost big dollars to build didn't get built, then our taxes would of stayed manageable.
There are always pro's and con's about urbanization, and all we can do is hope that the builders are kind enough to take into consideration the heritage of the strip. Things cant stay the same forever unfortunatly. I have seen and met many of the home buyers from both the Andrin community and the Branthaven community and it is a nice mix of retiries, empty nesters and young couples starting out. I think that all of these individuals respect and love the heritage that still exists within the community and will fight to help preserve it.
The builders don't give a #@#* about us, it is all about money. A nice mix would of been single family dwellings, to me anyway.
I dont know why we cant preserve the heritage and authenticity of the strip but at the same time give it new life.
I'm sad that no one sees this in any kind of positive light.
I just recieved my assessment from the Province, my house just went up $60,000 and I live on a sidestreet (bayside), a friend of mine who lives on the lakeside had his go up $120,000. Hard to be postive when your are being forced to move from a place that you want to stay.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I hope that no one took offence to my feelings on this matter. Just a healthy discussion! I guess you don't see any of this in a positive way Scotto? Its sad to think that we will be looked upon as the ones who are helping "destroy" the community. Because thats how you are making it seem, but I really hope this is not the case. I'm still excited to move in!
They are going to build them anyway, hopefully they will be the last. But I don't think so as there is too much money to be made.
And no offence at all, a great thread!!!

To all the new residents, welcome to our community! Maybe when there a bigger resident base, we can do something about what's going on over in the Harbour, that's a bright side!

Roberta

May 29, 2008
I dont know what to say.
It's a shame that the taxes are being forced up
I'm not happy that I'm going to be paying them either
I feel bad that all this is so upsetting for everyone

Roberta

May 29, 2008
They are going to build them anyway, hopefully they will be the last. But I don't think so as there is too much money to be made.
And offence at all, a great thread!!!

To all the new residents, welcome to our community! Maybe when there a bigger resident base, we can do something about what's going on over in the Harbour, that's a bright side!
You're right they are going to build them no matter what. A good thought about having a bigger resident base to fight issues such as the pollution from across the harbour!

Thanks for the welcome.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
You're right they are going to build them no matter what. A good thought about having a bigger resident base to fight issues such as the pollution from across the harbour!

Thanks for the welcome.
At the last Beach Garage Sale, a Spec reporter was asking me some questions about the Beach. It got away from questions about the yearly sale and onto queries about all the new development and influx of new people coming to our community. When asked about all these new people moving in, our History Moderator (Fred Briggs) who was standing beside me at the time, told her that "we will adopt them all as our own", so I stuck with that.

Top Bottom