Beach Blvd. up and coming? How do you feel?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Roberta I moved in last month to Andrin. I love it here. My opinion is that the Beach community is in dire need of some updates however we should preserve the history. You have to move forward but remember were you came from.

By the way, does anyone know what is going in the Branthaven commercial units yet?
Hi LBennick;:wavey:
Welcome to the Beach and thanks for joining the Forum. This topic is from last year, so hopefully Roberta is still around. Just curious though, what are the updates that you think should be done on the Beach? As for the commercial units at Branthaven, from the start we were told that Bristo was to be opened but things do change. I have heard that the units have yet to be rented out, so I guess we will have to just wait and see.

LBennink

Oct 28, 2009
Hi LBennick;:wavey:
Welcome to the Beach and thanks for joining the Forum. This topic is from last year, so hopefully Roberta is still around. Just curious though, what are the updates that you think should be done on the Beach? As for the commercial units at Branthaven, from the start we were told that Bristo was to be opened but things do change. I have heard that the units have yet to be rented out, so I guess we will have to just wait and see.
Thanks Scotto,
I think the new developments are a good start. I wouldn't go filling the strip with more townhomes as it tends to create a segregation within the community, however some new housing to replace the run down lots would do us some good. I feel that where history has been maintained, keep it going but where history has been neglected, it's time for something new.

The lighthouse for instance should be restored and made into something of a historical tourist attraction. The old church if not reinstated could be turned into a little market or something. We live on a "sandbar" of options and opportunity.

I will say that a good sign is the young crowd coming into the beach community. Full credit to the senior residents, but if the life cycle ceases to exist then the community will follow shortly.

All and all though I love this community. Great people, great view. Couldn't be happier.

By the way, do we happen to have a near by gym that isn't too expensive or busy?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Thanks Scotto,
I think the new developments are a good start. I wouldn't go filling the strip with more townhomes as it tends to create a segregation within the community, however some new housing to replace the run down lots would do us some good. I feel that where history has been maintained, keep it going but where history has been neglected, it's time for something new.

The lighthouse for instance should be restored and made into something of a historical tourist attraction. The old church if not reinstated could be turned into a little market or something. We live on a "sandbar" of options and opportunity.

I will say that a good sign is the young crowd coming into the beach community. Full credit to the senior residents, but if the life cycle ceases to exist then the community will follow shortly.

All and all though I love this community. Great people, great view. Couldn't be happier.

By the way, do we happen to have a near by gym that isn't too expensive or busy?

I agree, that is enough townhouses for my liking and the lots are starting to fill in as the City sells them. And yes, a few lots need to be bulldozed over and the house rebuilt, as the lots increase in value I am sure there will be upgrades done. There is a section in this Forum which covers the progress of the Lighthouse Committee, if you check in there you will see that this group is working very hard the have the Lighthouse and the Lighthouse Keeper's Home restore to their original condition. They have monthly meetings at the Rescue Unit if you want to stop by with any comments or questions. As for the gym, there a few in the City, a couple of small ones on Parkdale and the large commercial ones are close as well. I don't use them so I have no idea what they cost, maybe someone else would know better. The church would make a great gym.

BFD

Mar 30, 2005
Burlington
The closest gym I think is the Goodlife 24 hr fitness at Centennial and Barton. I have never been in there but I'm guessing it's busy at peak times. I work in Burlington and do most of my non-work activities there, including working out at the gym which is a ten minute drive if there is no traffic.

Earlier in this thread assessments were mentioned. I bought down here in 2003 and my assessment has more than doubled. I fought it...and they took a measly $9,000 off of their assessment! I'd sell my house in a heartbeat for even 75% of what they think it is worth.

Tallman

Mar 7, 2008
I think the development has done wonders for the community. I for one have seen the "profit" on my home double since I moved down here which, when the time comes, will net me a nice return on my investment. Change is not always easy, but it is the part of the circle of life and if we don't learn to change with it, we will be run over by it - so Roberta - I'm with you! Also - the bigger the community becomes, the more the factories and such will listen to our needs/wants. Do you really think that they will ignore people who live in "million dollar homes" which eventually these are all bound to become as waterfront property becomes more and more scarce - so it's all good.

Tallman

Mar 7, 2008
That church would make a good spot for the historical museum that was being talked about earlier. I'm sure it has plenty of room. Who owns that anyway?

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I I for one have seen the "profit" on my home double since I moved down here which, when the time comes, will net me a nice return on my investment.
If you are looking for a money making investment, yes it does sound good. But many of the residents want to stay here and are not in it to make a buck and move on. And as the prices go up, so do the taxes, in some cases far too high.

That church would make a good spot for the historical museum that was being talked about earlier. I'm sure it has plenty of room. Who owns that anyway?
The church use to be part of St. John's Parish in Burlington, as far as I know they still own it. Great idea though!

Tallman

Mar 7, 2008
If you are looking for a money making investment, yes it does sound good. But many of the residents want to stay here and are not in it to make a buck and move on. And as the prices go up, so do the taxes, in some cases far too high.

Hi Scotto,
We've been down here 14 years now, and have no plan to move anytime soon - we love it here. But it's peace of mind, and wise investing to know that when the time comes and we do want to move, that the property has valued instead of either staying the same, or devaluing as in some neighbourhoods in Hamilton. We were never in it for a quick buck, but did purchase in this neighbourhood knowing that, unlike other Hamilton neighbourhoods in the price range we could afford back then, our property would someday be a nice nest egg for our retirement. And I agree, the taxes too have doubled and that does stink, but it's the price you pay for progress - at least that's my feeling. I'd rather look at the glass half full, less wrinkles that way. :)

The church use to be part of St. John's Parish in Burlington, as far as I know they still own it. Great idea though!
Too bad, a space like that could have many wonderful uses - it's a shame to see it sitting and rotting.

dragonlady_lfn

May 11, 2007
I wouldn't worry (for now) about the school being the next project, I would look at the properties at the old Ryan's Drug store, or the one that I think is next is the motel. Still both are within sight from your front step.
The way the economy is heading could have some effect, but that could just push more residents out of the Toronto area and move to our somewhat cheaper community.

I do know the little Motel here did some renovations so we can hope they do not sell out and have about 100 townhomes built on the lot! Lol!

The Shutter Business seems to do well and the old Skyway Canvas was bought by a beach tenant but I have wondered about the lot behind these places with the huge hill behind which was always great for a snow ride. I am concerns about that huge lot becoming a Townhouse district. i can only imagine the amount of townhome that would be placed on that! My parents still live across the street from there and are very lucky the large lot beside them is designated green space (for now anyway).

I guess I am for progress since many homes needed renovations/tear downs and it is alway nice to get new blood in to a community but I do miss how quite it once was.

Cindy Gay

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I am concerns about that huge lot becoming a Townhouse district. i can only imagine the amount of townhome that would be placed on that!
Hi Cindy:wavey:
Yes hopefully the motel stays somewhat the way it is, as for the lot behind the old store, the City was planning to put a soccer field for kids in there but I don't think there was enough interest. There is a neighbourhood plan and for now it believe it is to be used as recreational.

Top Bottom