Beach Boulevard home on fire

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Posted with permission from the Hamilton Spectator

Firefighters are battling a blaze on Hamilton's Beach Boulevard.

It's not clear yet what happened, but it appears a gas line was severed somehow and the resulting fire spread to the house. There was nobody inside at the time.

Police have closed the road and are keeping residents in their homes.

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
What a shame. :(

Were they doing renos already on the house?
This article gives somewhat of an explaination.

No injuries in Beach Boulevard home blaze
Damage estimated at $150,000 to $200,000

April 08, 2010
Danielle Wong
Hamilton Spectator

Firefighters are putting out the last of a blaze that significantly damaged a house on Hamilton’s Beach Boulevard.

At about 1 p.m., police and fire responded to a report of a house fire and possible gas leak from people renovating the home.

On the scene, they determined there was a “well-involved” fire in the structure at the lower and upper floors of the house, said District Chief Ross Brydges. “The contractors admitted they had been working on the home, but they don’t know what caused the fire,” he said.

The two men renovating the house were in the back yard and unharmed. Nobody was inside the structure during the fire.

The homeowner, Joe Trombino, said he understood the contractors were putting in a beam under the house when it struck a gas pipe, igniting flames. Trombino bought the 1,400-square-foot home about a month ago and started renovations around the same time. He had been planning to live in it after the work was complete.

Brydges estimates damages to the partially renovated home are in the range of $150,000 to $200,000.

Firefighters were still chasing down hot spots this afternoon and worked from the outside because the structure was not safe to enter.

Trombino said he didn’t know what his plans were for the building.

“We’ll see as we go,” he said.

dawong@thespec.com 905-526-2468

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
Severed gas line sparks blaze

The Hamilton Spectator
(Apr 9, 2010)
Joe Trombino had been planning to move into a recently renovated home on Hamilton's Beach Boulevard as early as this summer.

But his plans were set back yesterday when a fire ripped through both floors of his 1,400-square-foot home, causing damage estimated at $150,000 to $200, 000.

At about 1 p.m., firefighters responded to a report from contractors working on the home of a house fire and possible gas leak.

District Chief Ross Brydges said firefighters determined there was a "well-involved" fire in the structure at the lower and upper levels.

"The contractors admitted they had been working on the home, but they don't know what caused the fire," he said.

John Verbeek, fire safety officer, said the fire was caused by a severed gas line that ignited.

Trombino, 34, said he understood workers hit a gas pipe while installing a beam under the house.

The two men were working outside in the back yard. They were unharmed and nobody was inside the house during the fire.

Gabe Desender, who lives next to the home, said the men ran over to him and asked for a wrench. They attempted to shut off the gas but couldn't, he said.

"I said: 'Get the hell out of here before the ... thing explodes!'"

Kyle McHugh, 21, who was working with Desender yesterday afternoon, said fire started coming out of the end of the pipe and spread throughout the house within five minutes. "The flames were pretty high," he said.

Brydges said firefighters worked from the outside because the building was not structurally stable enough to enter.

Trombino bought the house about a month ago and started renovations to put in drywall, install new siding and paint the building.

He had planned to move in after renovations were complete, Trombino said, but it's uncertain what he will do with the building now.

"We'll see as we go," he said.

dawong@thespec.com

905-526-2468

Gaelic

Apr 15, 2008
I drove by yesterday at 5pm, there were still cop cars and fire trucks all around. Then as I left for work this morning, a police SUV and another cop car were still there, shining spotlights on the house? The fire vehicles were long gone.

The house was in terrible shape previously, I was amazed when it sold that it wasn't razed rather than "renovated".

scotto

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 15, 2004
The Beach Strip
I drove by yesterday at 5pm, there were still cop cars and fire trucks all around. Then as I left for work this morning, a police SUV and another cop car were still there, shining spotlights on the house? The fire vehicles were long gone.

The house was in terrible shape previously, I was amazed when it sold that it wasn't razed rather than "renovated".
It was good to see that something was being done, give them full credit for that. I checked on one of our members about last summer to see why I had not heard from her in a long time, I found out from her perents that she (smr712) had passed away, the only reason I knew she lived where she did was that she used to complain about that house all the time. I told her it was keeping her taxes down, too bad she didn't stick around long enough to see it fixed, rebuilt or removed.

Top Bottom